Help to I.D. this turbo kit? + intercooled!

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just posted in introduction. im new. after my old truck being totaled by a tree im finally in the financial position again to buy a replacement. I just couldnt wait to post some pics to ask help. ive searched darn near every keyword i could in google looking for info.

the current owner is the original owners long time friend. he got the truck after he passed away. another friend of theirs installed this turbo kit on the truck years ago. besides the turbo kit it also has what im assuming is kelderman air ride in the rear and as i was told a US GEAR underdrive system.

the truck seems almost too good to be true but he is asking a pretty penny for it.

he claimed before he sent pics that it was called "turbo systems" and seems to think the kit came out of Los Angeles California. the airbox looks different from a old ATS kit i had on a 87 f250.

ANY and ALL help would be appreciated, steve

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nicely set up rig. lotsa rare parts. too bad not ZF5. your back will love you when you're towing heavy with the Kelderman system.

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nicely set up rig. lotsa rare parts. too bad not ZF5. your back will love you when you're towing heavy with the Kelderman system.

yeah seems nice. low miles too. do you have any idea on the turbo kit? i cannot find any info

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i assumed that much. i just never heard of them. no idea how it brings both banks of exhaust into the turbo. who makes the turbo. etc. i am a good distance from the truck and the seller is currently out of town.

looks like a nice 3" downpipe if im correct.

it's obsolete. the mfg has disappeared long ago.

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not so hot about the way the exhaust goes into the turbo... but it is intercooled and i know i can get the turbo rebuilt anywhere

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got the truck... puking oil. driveline vibration. greeaattt

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$4k truck needs work. nice to see ujoints had zerks. when greasing, im rotating and i hear a jingle. the bolt holding the output shaft on the USGear underdrive came out and has been bouncing in the output yoke. 1 minute with a rat tail file fixed 1 hammered thread. cleaned up and reinstalled.

wow... so "the turbo shop" turbo kit actually uses a non-wastegated banks rotomaster turbo. it has the same style 2-into-1 flange down below. i thought the downpipe looked familiar.
one of the bolts for the CDR was loose on the back. looks like oil was puking from there, the intake hat and the breather tube that bolts to the front of timing cover.

143k miles and looks like 342k under the hood.

intake hat cracked from someone cranking on the bolt too hard. jerry rigged it with a flat plate of steel that fit perfectly on top. rtv between plate and intake. cleaned inside so bolt is spotless.

truck drove home from oregon with plenty of power. never downshifted on hills. but smoked at higher end. injectors sound like crap. thermostat stuck open, at biggest grade i got temp to come to minimum. ill try to upload pics but im not good at that thing.

EDIT!!!! i got a new cdr from ford. will be installing. hopefully thats whats making it puke.

How pretty was the penny?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726