Help me buy my first idi......

12vctd

Reaction score
well the title pretty much explains it. I have been doing some research on here like I have read Agnems idi buyers guide what to look for. I am in the market for a f350 crewcab 4x4 with a man trans. I live in central Kentucky, and have been checking surrounding areas craiglist. So far I have only found 2 crew cab 4x4s for sale one is a auto around columbus which i cant get the owner to respond to my attempts to contact another I belive is near cincy. So if you know of one for sale, or even better you have one for sale please let me know about it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk to Darrin Tosh. He's up in Michigan, but he buys a lot of trucks from the southern states for resale. He can fix you up.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah, I think he even found the infamous Blizzard truck back on the market again.
That one even fits the bill to what yer looking for too.

Welcome to OB!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep Darrin finds good trucks and is much better than buying from anybody else that isn't a member here. I believe He has a website showing some of He's trucks and I can say the Blizzard is one nice truck if it is in the same condition it was last time I saw it.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait for the right truck to come along. I was in your same position a few months ago, took a while and I drove 5 trucks but it was worth the wait.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I don't have any in stock like that right now. but I did find that the Blizzard is back up for sale, Here is a link to it on Craigslist:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1122327536.html

If you are interested in it, give me a call, my number is on my website in my signature, I have a lot of info on this truck and would be willing to inquire on it on your behalf. It is only about 20 minutes from me.

Let me know,...

12vctd

Reaction score
I saw the link for the blizzard truck, and even went and searched and read as much as I could about it. I would love to have it, but its a little out of my price range right now. Though I think its worth every penny. I have found a few trucks in Columbus OH
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1121231021.html
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1113044591.html
thou the last truck I cant get a reply via e-mail or using the phone number.

I really want a man trans also thou I will consider a auto if I know its in good shape.

I am looking for a IDI mainly for the longevity, the need for a real crew cab but a low budget, and I know these motors are cheap to work on compared to most of the others. I had to sell my cummins trucks due to large medical bills, about a year ago, and I have been stuck having to borrow my brothers truck to do chores around the farm. So a IDI fits the bill perfectly for me.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
just get an auto truck that is in good shape for a good price and swap the manual in later. Its a full weekend project with all the parts on hand. I looked and looked for a manual crew cab and finally just got the crew cab and converted it.

punk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12vctd, that second truck you posted, don't buy it - by the time you get there, I'd have already "borrowed" that hood for my own truck :D

12vctd

Reaction score
I think its gone, I was very intrested in the truck, but I can't get a response from the owner. I could care less about a non functional cowl hood, honestly with a truck sitting up anyways and a long hood, Id rather not run over my calves. Im mainly just trying to find a 4x4 crew cab SRW. so go ahead and borrow that hood just put one back on it, maybe the price will go even lower LOL.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That hood is actually a bit to tall, it's like 6" or something, and I want no more than 4". Too bad the guy don't return calls, I've had that happen many times...

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What's up with all the "bricknoses" for sale everywhere?!? :dunno Even over here it's all '87-'91 trucks for sale... Are trucks of my era getting that rare to find anymore? I see a lot of my bodystyle in the wrecking yards, but they're all gassers. :puke:

12vctd

Reaction score
Oh theres a ton a of pre 87 trucks for sale around here, but they are either 2wd or a reg cab, Heck theres 2 dually up the road both with 4spds and flat beds he wants 1200 for the pair or 700 each. But they are both reg cab 2wd trucks. I have 6 crumb snatchers lol so I have to have a extended cab at the least but really need a crew cab, Im constanly running kids some place or the other.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I looked for 5+ years now to find my current truck. I found them all the time as a gasser (mostly a 351cid in them), 2WD, or as a dually. It took time and patience find my truck (see sig below). It took a very understanding other half to get it and put as much time into it as I have so far, and there's a lot more I want to do too. Now that I have it, it'll be the LAST thing I'll ever sale (unless it's to save our home, operation for my fiancee or kids, etc.). With three little ones, we need 4 doors too.