Hehe, How many people want one of these??? "TURBO DIESEL" I have an IDEA!!!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Alright, just the other day I was talking to a few members about how badly people want one of these.
You must be registered for see images

Well I had a thought today after a friend handed me one he had found and didnt need. You all know how I run a business reproducing small plastic trim pieces for classic camaros. Well, after a short period of thought, I REALLY am tired of no one making these. So I thought, you know, why not me. I know its branching WAY off from my current business, but I want some for my trucks, as I only have 2 (this one and one attached to my moms truck).

But here's the deal, I dont want to change anything about the design, or who would want it. So this is going to have to be kept hush hush from FORD or they'll sue me into the dark ages. So Im proposing this to be a club only deal, I know I wont make a ton of money on it, but its fun for me to make something no one else does anymore.
Also, I need a small list of people interested in them, I wont charge hardly diddly squat for me making the piece, its chroming and finishing that really bites you in the ass.
It costs me about 4 hours in tool time, and about $40 in material to just make the mold. But chroming and finishing them could cost ME over $50, because I just dont have the money to punch out a ton of pieces at once (Im in the same boat with my other pieces). So I end up biting the bullet on chroming, because of having a small production number.

So let me know what you all think!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how far Ford would go to protect the copyright on something they no longer use... can you copyright "Turbo Diesel" or is it that design? Its a cool design but you might could do even better. I like them but associate them with the factory turbo trucks and 94 PSD. Something a little different might even generate more interest and then you could sell it openly. My 2...though you didn't ask

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, how far would ford go to protect that copy right.....? I dont know how that whole copy right thing works, but I would think that you could probably change it just a little bit, just a scosh, and then you would have copy rigth infringement. Like make the little tabs in the same place (if they have those guide tabs), but move something around just a little bit. Then you could sell an almost exact same thing, except a little different, and have it go in the same place as stock. Then you could try to draw up a contract with LMC.......just a thought :dunno .

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
15%
Thats how much needs to be changed. Which isnt hardly a thing. But its allot easier to make an exact copy than it is to modify it. I was making it an exact copy to save me time and money into the deal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you know your stuff, seems like you might have a good bit of interest on the open market, but I can't be sure. Haven't gotten my truck nice enough to think about decals and stuff...yet.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You know what, I'll take one for my tailgate. I have other plans for the front fenders, but nothing for the tailgate. So I would like one please. I'll send you a pm.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score

Attachments

• 30701IHTD-1_installed.jpg
    30701IHTD-1_installed.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 30701IHTD-2_intalled.jpg
    30701IHTD-2_intalled.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The guy I got my decals from had them. Prolly still does. He just doesn't have them posted right now.

Here's the ones I got. Email the guy. I know he had them in his store when I bought mine. He does great work!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTE...ryZ33643QQihZ004QQitemZ140167177112QQtcZphoto

Thats what I was planning on doing on the front fenders, those exact ones ;Sweet. Hey two fiddy, when I go to buy them from that guy, are they sold in a set, or seperate, it doesnt say on there, at least I think.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you sold them for cost Ford couldn't touch you I don't think. Its only illegal to make them for proffit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put an IDI in front or on top. I will take 2 however you make them.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Put an IDI in front or on top. I will take 2 however you make them.

That would be pretty cool as well. To have it say something like

........IDI.......
......Turbo.....
......Diesel.....

Or something like that. But, its all up to you. You already have a little "experimenting" money from me to get this idea rolling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online