Headache rack & Transfer tank Clearance

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I am now the proud owner of a "Tradesman" 92Gal Steel L tank for my truck.

I'm very eager to fire up the drill and mount this sucker but I have a quesh..

Eventually I want to add a headache rack, and I'm worried that If I drill and mount the tank flush with the back of the bed that maybe ill have problems installing a rack later on..

It looks like most headache racks ive seen are straight above the back of the bed so maybe Im making a big deal out of nothing...

Thoughts?

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not mount it flush against the back, just for chaffing/rubbing and it will overtime. Well atleast my 1 st one did. Not going to hurt anything to leave a 1/4-1/2" gap.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not mount it flush against the back, just for chaffing/rubbing and it will overtime. Well atleast my 1 st one did. Not going to hurt anything to leave a 1/4-1/2" gap.

Okay thanks, I may even space it out enough to be able to stow the extra coiled fuel line from the pump behind there

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left about 1" gap on my tank. I have a piece of plywood back there, in case I have to crawl under and do some sort of roadside repair in rain or snow. I figured an inch or two less of cargo space wouldn't be noticed.

As to headache racks, I don't really know the answer. I haven't looked at too many of them closely.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea ill prob do a 1" gap.

On a side note, I haven't bought a 12v pump yet and I was wondering If you guys knew of a good one for the money that could pump a 50/50 #2/WMO mixture without breaking.

Cant really afford $350 for a fancy GPI from Tractor Supply

I was looking at this...

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/2625341112.html

What do you guys think?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I literally just mounted my tank yesterday. The answer to your question somewhat has to do with the design of your headache rack. For mine I have roughly a 1" gap from the bed back

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally just mounted my tank yesterday. The answer to your question somewhat has to do with the design of your headache rack. For mine I have roughly a 1" gap from the bed back

Thanks, I'm going to look at a rack tomorrow, the guys wants $175, it looks like it might work fairly well with my tank

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The craigslist guy has a phone number, give him call, ask about WMO. With a 50/50 mix, I would think it would do it OK.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Greendiesel, here's a pic I just took of mine. I just had my tank and toolbox sprayed w/ bedliner and lovin it. It's a bit shiny since it was just done, I'll like it more when its dulled out some

Attachments

• 20111031_084138.jpg
    20111031_084138.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20111031_084151.jpg
    20111031_084151.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 21

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is nice looking with the bedliner, I would have rather had a black tank but i picked this up for a good price.

I decided not to go with the pump from the craigslist add, It looked like a fillrite knock-off so its prob a pretty good pump but I went ahead and bit the bullet for the 15GPM GPI pump from Tractor Supply, with 2 year warranty and rebuild kits readily availiable

Here are some pics for ya's, new headache rack and x-fer tank woo-hoo ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

wmoguy

Reaction score
looks great! I love headache racks!

Hows your pump do? I got mine wired up last night and filled my tanks, and it was maybe 15 degrees out at the time. ONce the pump primed it spewed fuel FAST. I'd venture to say it's faster than a std. filling station pump.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, waaaay faster than your standard gas station pump, yea and it primed in about 1 sec :D

I might add a secondary filter down to 2-5 mic as I plan to use this tank for my WMO blend.

Does yours have a locking provision? Apparently mine does not, and anyone with enough cojones could help themselves to my fuel :mad:

I guess Ill have to put a secondary switch somewhere inside, to cutoff power:dunno