GV in a crew cab 4x4???

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the GV in my CC along with the already shortened drive shaft with new U joints and carrier bearing.[from a doner truck]
I have a a little vibration on the highway that I didnt have before.
I was woundering am I alone??
With the short distance from front Joint to the carrier everything would have to be perfict not to get some vibration.
I took it on a 600 mile trip and all seems ok But I dont like vibrations.
Any input?
Thanks
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very pleased with the installation in Lady Moose, but her front shaft would be longer than yours being 2WD. In jawing with my local 4X4 shop, Hoaks 4 Wheel Drive, in Helam PA, the owner Ben Hoak told me that they used to do GV installs in crew cabs, but that they have sinced stopped, because they were tired of dealing with complaints about vibrations. I was surprised to learn this since I had none, and thought they would all be that easy. Now reading this post, I'm starting to understand what Ben was saying. When you had your front shaft shortened, did you supply the U-Joints you were going to use with it when they went to balance it?

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Training for my January deployment. Been going all out since I arrived in North Carolina. Getting ready to take some leave and do some deer huntin up in NY. Good hearin from ya'll

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dumb question of the day...
whats a GV? are you taking out the carriar bearing and putting in a 1 piece drive shaft?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Gearvendors overdrive/underdrive

aaahhhh smaking head now, a shorter shaft would be less likely to vibrate were a longer shaft there is more oppertinity for something "off" to be felt. are you sure that the outfit that cut down your shaft balanced it? I know when i had it done locally (for another vehicle) it was extra.

could lowering your carriar bearing some restore your original angles?

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaft

I was very pleased with the installation in Lady Moose, but her front shaft would be longer than yours being 2WD. In jawing with my local 4X4 shop, Hoaks 4 Wheel Drive, in Helam PA, the owner Ben Hoak told me that they used to do GV installs in crew cabs, but that they have sinced stopped, because they were tired of dealing with complaints about vibrations. I was surprised to learn this since I had none, and thought they would all be that easy. Now reading this post, I'm starting to understand what Ben was saying. When you had your front shaft shortened, did you supply the U-Joints you were going to use with it when they went to balance it?

I used the shaft out of the other truck. That had already been shortened.
I put new u jounts and new carrier.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaft

My front shaft is now only 12" from the u joint to the carrier. Thats why I think with it beg that short if it is off center a hair it would tend to put a bind on the front joint.

Last edited:

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaft

When you get rich invest in a one piece driveshaft. With CV joints if you got the extra $$$

I was going to chech on getting a 1 pc shaft made.
It would have to be a little ove 6'.
I thought someone told me it was un safe for a shaft over a certin length.
I had a shaft made before & it wasnt as much as I expected.
Do I need CV's?
Thanks
John

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
You may improve the shakes by shimming the center bearing or the transmission rear mount. I had a shake in mine after I installed my GV and a 1/8" shim under the mount on the transmission rear housing (C-6) got rid of it except a slight shake between 20-24 mph. Almost not noticeable.

The owner of the local driveshaft shop says the U-joints have to have some angle to work properly. If the shaft is too straight it can shake. He said he has done shaft shortening on several hundred GV installations and does not agree with GV tech support on how to stop the shakes. Evidently it is a common problem with GV. Shake or no shake I love my GV!

Jim

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a US Gear on my 4x4 CC 4wd. I don't get any vibration, but I do recall that the installation directions made a big deal out of the angle of the driveshaft relative to the frame. I had to measure it before removing the shaft prior to installation and try to duplicate it with shims on the driveline mounts.