groaning noise

mike89

Reaction score
Hey folks, first post but have been reading for awhile and have found the site very helpful. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction for this repair. I drive a 1990 250 4x4 7.3 with 170 000 mi., The truck has had regular servicing all along and has been very reliable. During the weekend I was hunting and when I was braking started getting heavy vibration and a groaning noise as the vehicle came to stop. As I drove home the problem kept getting worse. There is no problem when driving it is just while braking, there was no previous braking noise or issues before this trip. Could this be a bearing or just something to do with the brakes,

Thanks for any help

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Sounds like maybe you have a pad or shoe that has broken. It happens sometimes, particularly on bonded linings that are getting too thin. If you could feel the vibration in the steering, check the front first. If you felt it in the seat, check the rear first.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep it could be a bad pad, if it where a bearing (ball bearing most times) it could lock the wheel and You will know it is a bearing for sure :eek: