Got the truck home, big problems already

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it home yesterday. Runs good. When I looked at it it was clean with just the normal diesel grease and such. Now its leaking oil and fuel really bad and I have no oil pressure. Leaked about 4 quarts already. I haven't located the leak(s) yet but the oil smells like fuel and I am not sure yet why. Not a good day I know that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
hmm, is the fuel pump pumping fuel into the crank case? The old diaphram pumps will do that some times when they go bad.
What is your oil level at?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup I'd check the fuel pump, and in lue of that, the IP. No oil presure could be caused by excessive thinning of the oil. Best not run it until you figure out where it is coming from. Check your dipstick.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you are using the stock dash gage for oil pressure just forget it. They are not relieable at all. As posted maybe its the lift pump diaphram and thats a good place to start.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
lift pump and IP are the best places to check for cuel getting in the oil if the oil is getting really thin then that could be part of why its leaking so much now. Also the lift pump could be loose and leak there. Unless the motor has a miss or stumble then maybe you have a bad injector or weak cylinder letting fuel in instead of burning iot but I would think you would have noticed that right away

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs great. The oil that is leaking is really thin. The oil on the dipstick looks normal and its low. I didn't smell the dipstick though. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get a chance to look at it some more. I limped it home and parked it. It is rolling some pretty heavy black smoke but I don't know if the fuel is turned up on it or not. I expected a couple kinks here and there but I didn't want them all to happen on the same day.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It looks like a darn nice truck man. Dont go driving it until you figure out for sure if its really got oil pressure or not. Atleast I wouldnt anyway.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up an el cheapo mechanical oil pressure gauge. I'd also spend the bucks for an electric fuel pump, which will eliminate the diaphragm pump as a site of a potential fuel in the crankcase problem. Its strange that the oil is low on the dipstick when you are having it overfilled with fuel. I was about 2 quarts high this summer when I had that happen.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
The fuel leak could be from the IP, after running down the valley pan and down the back of the engine it would be dirty looking, sort of like thin oil.
Is the stock gauge the only thing making you think you have no oil pressure?
If it sounds and runs good, get a real gauge, with no oil pressure the valve train should be very noisy.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to throw a gauge to it and see what I got. Hopefully it will just be the lift pump. I gotta clean everything up so I can try and see where its coming from.

If it is the lift pump what all do I need parts wise besides the pump to get it working? Also where is a good place to get the pump and needed parts.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time to convert to an electric pump. You know the drill now that you have it home.... change all the fluids and filters!

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deffinately ditch the old mechanical pump. There are a ton of good electrical pumps to choose from depending on your budget. Makes bleeding air after a fuel fitler change easy, mine starts better too. You can block off the old openning with a big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate. I needed to file the bottom of the plate so it wasn't contacting a small raised ridge in the block.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs great. The oil that is leaking is really thin. The oil on the dipstick looks normal and its low. I didn't smell the dipstick though. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get a chance to look at it some more. I limped it home and parked it. It is rolling some pretty heavy black smoke but I don't know if the fuel is turned up on it or not. I expected a couple kinks here and there but I didn't want them all to happen on the same day.

Your "thin" oil may be fuel. Check all the rubber return lines on the injectors to see if it's leaking out there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those BBL chevy block off plates are hard to come by. Autozone can order them for you but a good local race shop probably has it. I guess $3.00+/gallon gas kills much of the fun out of an engine that gets 8mpg.