Got the truck home, big problems already

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I took it off and cleaned it. It was also full of oil. I don't think it is the whole cause of the problem though. I still think that the turbo is leaking somewhere. the rubber line that goes to the top of the turbo is that the supply or return? Also the bolt that bolts the thing on top of the motor that goes to the turbo was loose. Should there even be oil there though?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The oil line on top of the turbo is the supply line.....the oil drains off the pedistal into back of the valley pan near the rear of the engine.

What a second, are you saying that where the turbo attaches to the turbo pedistal, the bolts are loose? If so then that will be your cause of leaking oil, because the oil drains from the turbo into the pedistal, and with those bolts loose it will loose a lot of oil....I know it happened to me when I put my turbo back in after it was rebuilt.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Basically its a cast iron piece that is bolted to the turbo using 2 studs in the turbo, and 2 bolts that tighten it onto the pedistal. The pedistal is also bolted with 2 bolts to the back of the intake manifold, and then the bottom part of it goes into the back of the valley pan towards the rear of the engine.

Basically that pedisal is hollow (or parts of it are) and it allows the oil to flow from the turbo back into the engine, and secures the turbo to the engine.

Good luck with those nuts that attach the turbo to the pedistal, those things are so fricking hard to get out/in its not even funny.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if those are loose. The one that was loose was the single bolt that bolts the round thing to the top of the motor. Its where the air cleaner would bolt on a N/A motor.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Would that be the cast aluminum looking peice (I dont know if thats what it is or not, but I havent ever seen one rusted before, so I think it would be aluminum :dunno ). That wouldnt really cause an oil leak, or nothing major at all, but it would allow you to loose boost, so you could see a performance gain.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ok ok ok........what does it look like? Does it look like the turbo blows into it and into the engine? Or does it have something to do with the airbox itself.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And it kinda looks like a snail shell perhaps, and it has one bolt that attaches it to the intake?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah it shouldnt cause to big of an oil leak, but it will cause you to loose boost while driving, so if you tighten it you should see some increase in power and fuel milage.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
dude this is sounding more and more like my moms truck. we left the gasket out of that snail shell and when it started spewing oil we noticed the gasket wasnt in there. Allot of the oil that was running through the turbo was blowing out there.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my gasket is in there. I am thinking that my supply line is also leaking. I am going to try and clean it all up, tighten everything and see if it quits.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
dude this is sounding more and more like my moms truck. we left the gasket out of that snail shell and when it started spewing oil we noticed the gasket wasnt in there. Allot of the oil that was running through the turbo was blowing out there.

Mine doesnt really cause to much of an oil leak and I dont have a gasket/seal in there. I can run my finger around the area where the snail shall meets the intake manifold, and I get some oil residue, but theres no oil down in the valley pan or anything. It does have some silicone sealant on it from when we first put my turbo in, but other than that its just held on there by the bolt.