Got the truck home, big problems already

suv7734

Reaction score
Let's have a pic so we're all on the same page ;Really

This should be the one...

Where does the oil seem to be coming from?

Attachments

• 6.9-7.3-088-Ford-Turbo-System-Layout-sm-A4.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 15

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That thing is putting out a bunch of oil. In that case I would think that the intake hat being loose would cause that. If I were you I would check to make sure that that oil fitting that bolts onto the top of the turbo is put on there nice and tight with its gasket, and that the oil line is put on nice and tight as well.

A good thing to do is clean up all the oil, and then place some paper towels where you think the leak is. Then run the engine for a minute or tow and check your towels to see where the leak is coming from. Also make sure that the nuts that attach the turbo to the pedistal are nice and tight. I suppose that it could also be from the turbo seals crapping out on you causing the turbo to leak oil.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
that looks like my moms engine, so much oil down there, and we tracked it all back to being caused by the blow by running through the turbo, and then it was blowing out all over everything because of that snail not being sealed.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why am I blowing oil out the exhaust? Is this also from the turbo leak or am I gonna need an overhaul?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
that looks like my moms engine, so much oil down there, and we tracked it all back to being caused by the blow by running through the turbo, and then it was blowing out all over everything because of that snail not being sealed.

Dang man, that thing sounds like it has tons of blow by? Or does it have the regular amount of blow by.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oil out the exhaust eh? How do you know its oil (not trying to be a smart ****, just trying to figure out if it is or not ;Sweet )? Do you have a lot of blue smoke when the truck is running? Or does it just look like oil is being splattered out your exhaust?

suv7734

Reaction score
If you're sure the oil is 'blowing' out the exhaust then I would tend to look at the seals in the turbo. That's one of the first places you'll find that amount of oil coming from. Anything like worn rings etc will show itself as smoke since it is being 'combusted', turbo seals can just leak raw oil into the exhaust.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good news is that seals, bearings etc, your basic turbo kit is not too expensive. It'll cost you a couple hundred bucks in parts and labor.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is oil being splattered out. I noticed it after I pulled it in the shop and had oil all over the wall. Is rebuilding it something that I could do myself or do I need to have it done?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Here's what I would do. Take all the turbo tubes off (do not unbolt the turbo) just the tubes/intake hat that blow pressure into the intake manifold. Clean all the oil off them, and the inside of the compressor side of the turbo. Then remove the CDR from the valve cover. Install a 1" push in fitting with a hose attached. Run the hose down under the truck. Now you have a RDT, road draft tube.

Now take some shop towels,and a screw driver and clean up the valley pan. Under the IP, intake manifold.

Drive the truck like this for a month or so, see if it still leaks.

I suspect you have oil coming thru the CDR, into the turbo, then being pushed down out of the intake hat, onto the valley pan? Prolly have a fuel leak, also. So the oil is mixing with the fuel, and draining down the valley pan drain, down the back of the block and onto the ground.

As for oil being pushed out of the exhaust. Do not worry, yet. It's common for condensation to get into the exhaust. Then when you fire the engine, it blows out black soot/water. This might be what your experiancing.

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Mine doesnt really cause to much of an oil leak and I dont have a gasket/seal in there. I can run my finger around the area where the snail shall meets the intake manifold, and I get some oil residue, but theres no oil down in the valley pan or anything. It does have some silicone sealant on it from when we first put my turbo in, but other than that its just held on there by the bolt.

So then what seals the boost from escaping around the hat?

You needa make sure that all of your post turbo fittings are air tight to 15PSI, or so. Including the bolt that bolts the hat to the intake.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So then what seals the boost from escaping around the hat?

You needa make sure that all of your post turbo fittings are air tight to 15PSI, or so. Including the bolt that bolts the hat to the intake.

Basically nothing is keeping the boost from leaking except a little silicon sealant and being tightened down pretty darn tight. I wouldnt doubt that it causes some boost leak, but I'm getting pretty good boost numbers so its not like its dropping it to much at all.