Glow Plugs Not Working

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
This morning like Saturday morning since its been a bit cold here it took over an hour to get the engine to finally start and stay running, no check engine light, ether didn't help either, the glow plug light cycles properly but I just don't know if they are working or if its a fuel problem, once the engine is running it will stay running until you turn the key off, there's no issue with it running down the road so I'm trying to eliminate the fuel problem and go for a glow plug problem.
Any help would be great with this truck I should be able to turn the key on wait for the glow plug lght to go out and it should start and stay running.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wait to start light doesn't have much to do with actual glowplug function.
Do this.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When it starts cold, does it idle bad? Or smooth?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
it idles bad with a lot of black smoke, I have to keep my foot in it to keep it running until it gets to a temperature it can stay running

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like stiction.
What oil are you running? How many miles on the oil? Which filter and cap?
I would try some hot shots secret stiction eliminator or revx.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Not sure about mileage of the last oil change but the oil in the engine is delo 10w30 full synthetic CJ-4 rated oil, the filter I believe is a WIX.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would change it. Go with a 5w40 synthetic, with one of those oil additives. The hot shots secret you can find at parts stores, farm and ranch stores.
Motorcraft filter and cap. It's pretty important on these engines.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
could this just be a oil problem and not a glow plug problem, I'm not too familiar with the way this engine operates.
Once I start using this oil additive do I have to continue using it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It could be oil/injectors. (The injectors are ran off the oil)
And no, can run it whenever you want.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
OK so this could be a oil/injector problem
The oil additive can be used at any time
Not a glow plug problem.
Is that correct?
Then the cheap way out is to change the oil and use a additive
Is that correct?
If that doesn't work then start looking for bad injectors
Is that correct?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Correct.
Typically bad glowplugs won't cause black smoke on startup.
You can also replugging in the block heater. But that can help for glowplugs and wearing injectors.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Jasper. I would get a Motorcraft Oil Filter Cap and a Motorcraft Oil Filter.

I can not stress this enough...... DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT MOTORCRAFT OIL AND FUEL FILTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Filters for the 6.0 are patented by IH/Ford, so if you want the exact correct filter, you need a Motorcraft, one from an IH/Navistar Dealer for a VT365, or a Racor (Racor makes them for IH and Ford)...... So even the high quality filters are just really close. They also supply a cap, and the filter doesn't fit quite right.... and the Motorcraft filter won't fit at all with the non OEM cap....

If the glow plugs were out, it should throw a code, and pop a Check Engine Light.....

Does it smoke black or blue? When my FICM was failing, it would smoke blue almost all the time, and was a royal PITA to start, till the day it just didn't..... (fortunately it was in the garage).....

So I would start with 15 quarts of 5w40 Full Synthetic Oil (I like the Chevron Delo from wally-world....) a set of Motorcraft Oil and Fuel Filters, oil changed every 5,000 miles, even with synthetic, and 10,000 for the fuel filters (there are 2, the little one next to the oil filter (that's the secondary) and the one on the frame rail)...... if the oil change helps, I'd get 2 bottles of Rev-X, it helped mine.....

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so this could be a oil/injector problem
The oil additive can be used at any time
Not a glow plug problem.
Is that correct?
Then the cheap way out is to change the oil and use a additive
Is that correct?
If that doesn't work then start looking for bad injectors
Is that correct?
Oil change with motorcraft filter and a Stiction eliminator. The stiction illuminator will take a few hundred miles for you to start seeing results from it. I personally would go ahead and change my fuel filters and make sure you use Motorcraft fuel filters also

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Here's the update on this POS,.... I changed the oil to a 5w40 Deli full synthetic, all new Motorcraft filters, added standyne additive to the fuel and Motormite education additive to the oil, after all this it was still a PITA to start after a cam and a half of ether, so the boss took it to the local dealership to find out it need a FUCM, I mean a FICM.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Damn. I always forget about the ficm.
If you have torque pro (or another good data reader) you could have viewed the ficm volts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86