Glow plug replacement

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Well, after noticing only a 3-4 second glow time in sub zero temps, I finally got under the hood with my test light to see how many glow plugs I had out.

Turns out, at least 2 were bad and 1 was on its way. Figured I would play it safe and ordered 4 sealed Motorcraft ZD9's off ebay. A good deal I couldn't pass up for $34 total.

Sprayed some PB blaster on the plugs and let it sit for two days before the glow plugs arrived. Today was the day though and I got under the hood to finally replace em.

Now, I was told the previous owner only put in motorcraft parts and babied the thing... BULL####!! -cuss

I cringed when I pulled the back passenger side plug to discover...a champion. Now I figured this was done by the shop that did my valve seals...until I pulled the rest on the passenger side.

So far: 1 champion and 3 autolites. Thank GOD none of them were swollen...but three of them had noticeable deformation.

Out of plain curiosity I pulled the first two on the driver's side (tested good but what the hell) and found another champion and autolite. Didn't even have to pull the rest before another 4 genuine zd9s were on order...

Here is a picture of the first POFS champion I pulled next to a genuine beru:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a shot of the slight deformation on one of the autolites:

Two pieces of autolite garbage:

And finally, the RIGHT plug in the RIGHT place:

Now after this was finished, I figured I would turn the key to see how it performed...and WOW! I got a whole 18 second glow time! The truck had been sitting in sub zero temps and today was a warmer day at 20*F but it cranked right over no problem.

I honestly had no hopes that it would start...otherwise I would have caught it on camera!

I'm very impressed with the old girl after today and can't wait to get the rest of the Motorcraft plugs in it. ;Sweet

-Dave

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Ever since I replaced all 8 plugs on the 6.9 before winter storage, the WTS light has been staying on for 15+ secs on a cold start. Starts up faster than the wifes 99 Buick Century.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use Champs again ...no issues in almost 20 years. Of course I've replaced burned out plugs over the years.
Beru's been in for a few years, one thing I noticed the Beru's are slightly thicker >and the slightest swelling will make them tough to get out.

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:
got a set of bosch off ebay for aroud $25.00. put in a few months ago and still working great.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I would use Champs again ...no issues in almost 20 years. Of course I've replaced burned out plugs over the years.
Beru's been in for a few years, one thing I noticed the Beru's are slightly thicker >and the slightest swelling will make them tough to get out.

Thanks for the tips on the Beru plugs. From what I understood about champs was beware lol. You might be one of the lucky ones with your champion plug experience, but even one of the ones I replaced was barely three years old. :dunno

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, after noticing only a 3-4 second glow time in sub zero temps, I finally got under the hood with my test light to see how many glow plugs I had out.

Turns out, at least 2 were bad and 1 was on its way. Figured I would play it safe and ordered 4 sealed Motorcraft ZD9's off ebay. A good deal I couldn't pass up for $34 total.

Sprayed some PB blaster on the plugs and let it sit for two days before the glow plugs arrived. Today was the day though and I got under the hood to finally replace em.

Now, I was told the previous owner only put in motorcraft parts and babied the thing... BULL####!! -cuss

I cringed when I pulled the back passenger side plug to discover...a champion. Now I figured this was done by the shop that did my valve seals...until I pulled the rest on the passenger side.

So far: 1 champion and 3 autolites. Thank GOD none of them were swollen...but three of them had noticeable deformation.

Out of plain curiosity I pulled the first two on the driver's side (tested good but what the hell) and found another champion and autolite. Didn't even have to pull the rest before another 4 genuine zd9s were on order...

Here is a picture of the first POFS champion I pulled next to a genuine beru:

Here is a shot of the slight deformation on one of the autolites:

Two pieces of autolite garbage:

And finally, the RIGHT plug in the RIGHT place:

Now after this was finished, I figured I would turn the key to see how it performed...and WOW! I got a whole 18 second glow time! The truck had been sitting in sub zero temps and today was a warmer day at 20*F but it cranked right over no problem.

I honestly had no hopes that it would start...otherwise I would have caught it on camera!

I'm very impressed with the old girl after today and can't wait to get the rest of the Motorcraft plugs in it. ;Sweet

-Dave

$34 bucks for 4? Who are you ordering from off of Ebay? I thought I got a good deal on 8 plugs for $84.99 USD....wound up at about $100 CAD shipped.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
It was from a private seller that was cleaning out his garage actually. He said he didn't know if they would work as they had been sitting for years. Being sealed still, I didn't dispute nor pass it up LOL

He wanted $8.50 each but only had 4 on hand. That and free shipping sounded like a winner to me ;Sweet

As for the other 4 that I need to finish the replacement, I got them from Rockauto for $41.73

Of course that includes a 5% discount coupon I found online :)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Wow. You can't go wrong for that pirce man! I can't wait until y new motorcraft plugs get here...I don't like using liquid fire to start my truck anymore than I have to.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats the dryest 19 year old return line system I have ever seen...:eek: Your a lucky man I must say... Its not often we see something thats still working fine on these motor tops....;Sweet:thumbsup:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on the Beru plugs. From what I understood about champs was beware lol. You might be one of the lucky ones with your champion plug experience, but even one of the ones I replaced was barely three years old. :dunno
Personally I would be cautious of and NOT use AC or Autolite...but again in the past, Champs served me real well.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
At this point, until I get some new glow plugs, I don't even use them at all. My timer is gone anyway, replaced by a manual switch, and I'm sure a few of my plugs are bad, because they just don't work to start the rig when it's under 60 outside or so. So I just plug the truck in for an hour on the block heater and she fires up like she's been running for an hour already. Hardly any smoke, no shaking, low idle, and only 3 or 4 cranks. Works every single time.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Wow... Thats the dryest 19 year old return line system I have ever seen...:eek: Your a lucky man I must say... Its not often we see something thats still working fine on these motor tops....;Sweet:thumbsup:

The originals actually lasted up to about three years ago and thankfully those new replacement lines/caps sealed nicely ;Sweet

The only slight air intrusion I have left is the drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter base...can't win them all I guess cookoo

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
At this point, until I get some new glow plugs, I don't even use them at all. My timer is gone anyway, replaced by a manual switch, and I'm sure a few of my plugs are bad, because they just don't work to start the rig when it's under 60 outside or so. So I just plug the truck in for an hour on the block heater and she fires up like she's been running for an hour already. Hardly any smoke, no shaking, low idle, and only 3 or 4 cranks. Works every single time.

That is what I had to do...plug is in for an hour or two or else it wouldn't fire under about 40*F outside. That was okay until I kept having to run the power cord through a window to get at an outlet that could handle the load though :eek:

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score

Wow!
Mine won't start without glow until it's well over 60 outside...and I plug it in everyniht no matter what!