Glow Plug Eater

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Trying to figure out why I've got a glow plug eatin IDI?Just got done redoin the IP along with injectors,lines,cap kit and glow plugs and it's already eat the two back plugs less then 100 miles and this is the second round?Seems the Wellman plugs are not much count up until now as have used them on two other trucks I had with no failures and these are swelling almost to the point of not being able to get them out as they are split when coming out.Ordered a set of ZD9 Motorcraft to fix this problem I hope so anybody have any ideas?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellman plugs

You just answered the question. Anything but Motorcraft are complete junk.

Only other things would be timing too far advanced or a controller malfunction causing the plugs to remain on all the time.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had it properly timed? Meaning, timed with a meter, not "timed by ear".....

Advanced timing will damage glow plugs......

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok sounds interesting...

Two rear cylinders could be getting more oil through intake due to angle of intake and a nasty CDR, thus burning a bit different than the remaining cylinders.

Also you mentioned redoin IP what exactly does that mean? REPLACED what? MORE details.

Was that timed with proper equipment and at the right settings/speed or by ear?

Beru plugs are the preferred ones for these trucks and their engines. Others have used Nottolites and Crappions and other brands with mixed success. Beru seems to be the Defacto ones to get.

So check intake for oil if so that could be part of it, thus clean and or replace CDR. Time it correctly and Beru

JM2CW

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swelled tips is usually not advanced timing. Advanced timing tends to erode the tips away. They just get shorter and shorter. Swelled tips is usually junk glow plugs.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you have junk GP's...but

In my experience I have found that GP's work really well in identifying a bad injector. If you see multiple GP failures on the same cylinder I suggest pulling the injector and popping it - I bet you will find a problem, either low pop pressure (advances ignition on that cylinder) or a ******. This is one reason why I don't like the manual GP mod that guys do; the manual GP switch won't tell you if you have a problem.

If the IP timing is advanced I think you will see random GP's failing; a bad injector will cause the same one to fail.

I would replace your GP's with Beru's, pull at least one of the back injectors and pop test it, check timing again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US