glow plug drilling/extraction

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think letting it soak in panther **** for a few days really loosened it up, my friend recommended a square extractor. We tapped it home with a hammer lightly and it came right out with a wrench on the extractor

Also it looks like they were NOT ZD9 plugs. Not auto lites either but they weren’t quality, you can see the swelling on it

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it out I was curious how it was going to come out
Which ones?
I seen a YouTube video where they drill and tap it and use a slide hammer to pull the tip in the video it looked like a slick setup but it's not always that easy

steve phillips

Reaction score
just saw this. a good torx bit makes a pretty fair extractor. they have straight shanks. the wedge extractors expand the threads where they go in. I have very good luck with torx bits, a little heat and a can of air duster spray. heat around broken part , turn air spray upside down propellant will come out. use this to freeze stuck fasterner , use torx bit. IMO this is a much better method than welding as a first step. welding is a last resort, because once you weld a nut drilling is no longer an option. I have better than 90 % success with this method. snap on sells an excellent pipe extractor set, made by ridged. this is my next step. hope this helps .

steve phillips

Reaction score
https://store.snapon.com/Straight-Screw-Extractors-Extractor-Straight-Screw-3-8--P635456.asp, https://store.snapon.com/Pipe-Plug-Extractors-Extractor-Pipe-Plug-1-8-Blue-Point--P635462.aspx these are what I have in an old snap on set. they came with bushings and special size drill bits. I cant find them as a set on snap on website or ridged now. I have had them for years, never broke 1. they have straight flutes, don't wedge broken fastener. the small 1 almost looks like a small reamer working in reverse.

steve phillips

Reaction score
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/25-screw-extractor-set here is set I have. well worth the money. IMHO a fastener broken off at the top is much easier to deal with, than 1 broken off by bottoming out in hole by being too long or overtightening. the one broken off from rust or at the top of hole needs thermal expansion around it. while cooling fastener to shock loose. the removal is fairly straight forward. patience is the key. and an accurate center drilling of hole. this allows you to go up in drill size with out damage to threads. I am by no means an expert, but the man that taught me was, I use his methods and theories about removal. hope these thought might be able to help someone.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it feels great... I had a 7/8" bolt torqued off in the hub of a tractor rear rim. No way that was coming out with an extractor. I drilled a hole straight through it and broke out the cutting torch. THAT was fun -Flame Thrsparks and bits of molten steel flying everywhere, and didn't hurt the heavy cast iron hub a bit. Tim Taylor voice: MORE POWER!!!

tonyj54

Reaction score
Glad to see this one, as I'm gonna have to do mine here shortly. Getting tired of having to plug in block heater every night. Yep. Florida. Every night. Even Summer.

Very strange.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online