Glow Plug Buzzer

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short story short, I caught the dome light on fire and pulled the whole unit. Since then, my glow plug buzzer hasn't been really audible inside the cab. I can hear it faintly, but everything seems to be in working order. Is there a relay I should check, or a fuse?

mrbison

Reaction score
That's funny. Mine's so loud I've been thinking about disabling it. I would like to suggest that you look at this like it is a blessing. Do you really want that awful buzzing noise back?LOL

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny. Mine's so loud I've been thinking about disabling it. I would like to suggest that you look at this like it is a blessing. Do you really want that awful buzzing noise back?LOL

Hehe, before it died down I thought the same thing! I just get tired of watching the light sometimes - an audible tone should allow me to maintain my laziness. ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 has never made anykind of tone nor sound when the glow circut is activated.... Interesting news....:sly

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im betting its your fasten safety belt buzzer. Next time you get in it the seat belt light almost goes off the same time the WTS does. There was a thread a few weeks ago about this. Id say its your safety belt buzzer as it is also tied into with your dome light.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Im betting its your fasten safety belt buzzer. Next time you get in it the seat belt light almost goes off the same time the WTS does. There was a thread a few weeks ago about this. Id say its your safety belt buzzer as it is also tied into with your dome light.

Or the key in IGN buzzer if he has the annoying one that goes off for about 10 seconds after turning the key on.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all kinda neat. I hooked my GP light up in the fasten belts curciut so that i didnt have to add a light in the dash, and for the buzzer for when other people drive it. I just wrapped it in duct tape until it was at the "appropriate" volume. Mine is below the drivers dash vent. As far as i know theyre all right there in that general area behind the headlight switch.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nail, meet head. That's exactly what it is...the simplest way to test it is to fasten your seatbelt before turning the key on. The buzzer SHOULD turn off (although the "fasten seatbelt" light should remain on)....if you don't have the seatbelt fastened, the buzzer and "fasten seatbelt" light should turn off at the same time. And, yes, I too have noticed that the seatbelt light/buzzer turned off at around the same time the glow plugs finished cycling ;Sweet (I say "turned" because something failed in mine; I still get the key in switch/door open buzzer, but my seatbelt buzzer failed a few years ago).

Or the key in IGN buzzer if he has the annoying one that goes off for about 10 seconds after turning the key on.
I'm pretty sure it's the seatbelt buzzer...at least on my truck, the key in ignition buzzer doesn't turn off until you remove the key or the truck's batteries (or the buzzer module) fails LOL

IIRC some newer trucks have a chime instead of a buzzer...I wish I knew of a way to tell the difference between the two by just looking at the module. I need the key-in-ignition warning; I've almost left the key behind too many times :shocked: (I'm more than a little bit absent-minded), but a chime would sound nicer than a buzzer...

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That's no glow plug buzzer, just the seat belt/ignition key/door open buzzer, witch is a white or silver box under the dash, right hand side of steering column.

Notice it buzzes for the exact same time as the little red guy is lit up in the dash?

Ever since I replaced my glow controller and a couple bad plugs on my 6.9, the WTS light stays on abit longer then the seat belt guy and buzzer.