Getting plans together for head gasket replacement....

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since I have noticed the leak of coolant down the backside of the engine, I have been trying to get prepared for head gasket replacement. I am planning on using fel-pro gaskets because they are well priced and I havent heard anything bad about them. Unless Ford can offer me ones that are well priced? I do not have the money right now to do studs because in the last three months I have replaced the transmission and starter. And I need an electric fuel pump and the turbo needs rebuilt. I dont want to use the stock bolts again, so is there just a stronger bolt I could get from ARP with the same specs as ours without shelling out the money? Something just a little stronger than what I have now.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
As far as I know, its either stock head bolts, or studs. I think I heard guys talk about grade 8 Cat bolts, but I dont know what happened there with that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can safely reuse the stock bolts if the motor is a 7.3. A new 7.3 head bolt breaks at 153,000 psi and the ARP studs break at 200,000 or 220,000 psi. I've kinda forgotten what it is. Just make both surfaces really clean with a single edge razor and use plenty of brake clean. It wont leave any residue. Also use a bottoming tap to clean the threads in the block all the way to the bottom of the hole. I'm guessing your doing this in frame so be careful. Those heads are heavy and pulling them off a block thats still in the rig is going to be tuff. Setting them back on the block is tuffer. Get some help for that. You don't want to damage a head gasket and have to remove the heads again...:sly

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all the time and work I would save up the money for the ARP 6.9 stud kit. You can find deals on ebay, but I bought mine from Summit. Well worth the added insurance. If you do go ARP's follow directions of torquing and loosening and then retorqueing 5 times to seat the new studs. (17x4)2x5=680 torque values! Yeah your arms will be sore.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont worry I will be using an engine hoist for the heads lol. And I guess Im gonna have to come up with the money for studs then. Man I have spent way too much on this truck. Around 3000 in 2 years. Not fun.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say it seems that TDS ate my headgasket article that was showing a read counter of over 50,000 last time I saw it. Would have been nice to refer you to that how-to.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Installing studs on a 6.9 is really something most will agree is important. First of all the stock bolts are 7/16 and thats really too small for the compression these motors make. True... You can reuse the old bolts but you take a real chance at having to do the head gaskets in another 100,000 miles. The oem head gaskets have been upgraded several times over the years so... If you are still running the oem gaskets start planning for the big job of replacing them at anything past 100,000 miles.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check ebay for studs, sometimes they can be found for a good price. There is a company on ebay that has a good price on Victor Reinz head gasket kit and valley pan gasket (you need to replace it at the same time you do the head gaskets). You will also need to get the head dowels from Ford. They are not included in any head gasket kit I've used on these IDI's (Felpro or VR). They are less than $8. The VR kit has new valve seals as well and you will want to put them on the valves while you got them off. Should also have them checked out by a good machine shop...... pressure tested, hot tanked, magnafluxed, inspect the seats/guides.

Studs will be tricky with the motor in the truck. It can and has been done, but you will likely have to tape or rubber band the rear most studs to the heads to get them back on. You will obviously have to install the studs with the heads on the block.

I just did the head gaskets and studs on my '86 crew cab. Check out my webshots for some photos.

Heath