Gearing up for a turbo install

SKimballC

Reaction score
Justin, I was thinking about that on the way home last night. I would disconnect the batteries and remove the sheet metal screws holding the fuse box and see if you can swing it down or to the side and try to get a drill in around there. That would be the best spot if you can get in there. Also, since you are going to have to lengthen the wires on your 2 temp senders, I would cut the connectors off so that you can drill a smaller hole just big enough to feed the wires through, then you can put the connectors back onto the lengthened wire instead of feeding them through the firewall.

Oh, and put some coolant in your empty expansion tank.LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are some photos of the install, I forgot to get one of the dash after. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed that grin on your face after the test drive;Sweet ;Sweet

Attachments

• justin turbo ins. 001.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 001.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 35
  • justin turbo ins. 004.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 004.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 41
  • justin turbo ins. 006.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 006.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 46
  • justin turbo ins. 007.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 007.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 32
  • justin turbo ins. 010.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 010.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 36
  • justin turbo ins. 011.jpg
    justin turbo ins. 011.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 34

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks for getting those pics posted up Russ ;Sweet . I'll try to get a dash picture the next couple of days.

Shane, that sounds like a good idea to drill the hole right behind the fuse box, I'll go out and look on the otherside of the firewall to make sure it'll work. And yeah, I'll add some more coolant LOL , and try to smoother that area thats leaking with silicon or something.

I got home around 11pm, and showed my parents it, and they to my surprise actually liked it, and thought it sounded good. Today they went shopping so I had them follow me for a couple of miles and they my truck sounded like a big rig ;Sweet , and I did a nice down-shift into 3rd doing 60mph down a hill to show off my new jack brake sound ;Sweet .

And when I when I was driving around John in Hubbard, I smoked somebody (tailgater) out, it was pretty dang funny :D .

One bad thing happened last night though, I got pulled over in Silverton. I figured it was cause it was way late and my truck is fairly loud now, but it was because my license plate was to dirty/my license plate lights werent hooked up. Parents got a laugh outta that.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It's cool that your folks are supportive of your mod habit. :thumbsup:
When i was a teen, I spent some time installing a new homemade cold air intake and a straight exhaust system on my car. My dad was PISSED. I let him drive it and eventually he came around, still never liked the straight pipe sound though.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah glad they are cool with it. My mom and dad really have always been supportive too, though they wondered why I couldn't just leave it stock, it ran just fine N/A right? But I'm glad its on. That coolant leak you described is common on the IDI. I usually have to tighten my heater hoses and rad hoses whenever the cool weather arrives and again in the spring. It can be tough to get that heater to WP hose to seat since the screw is sometimes hard to get at. Pushing it all the way down and snugging the hose clamp with a socket wrench usually does the job. 9psi is really good for a factory turbo/ATS gated. How much have you turned up the fuel? I have only made 4-5 PSI at the very most just test running it, mine is non gated though and I have been very conservative on the fuel calibration. Still have the 3" exhaust with the regular(not mandrel) bends around the diff. How do you like the 4" straight pipe? Sounds like you like it a lot....is it really obscenely loud?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Justin's truck is actually not too loud at all. The turbo is very audible though, even at idle. They turned up his fuel screw while I was attacking the dash for his 4 new gauges, though it only had a small turn before it maxed out. I followed him for about 10 miles and it only smokes when he gets on it, which I am sure he was not being at all liberal about. But he should be until he drills a hole in the firewall and attaches the pyro lead.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I got all the gauges wired up and all done. I went for a test drive, and the highest EGT I saw was 950*, that was doing 70 at WOT with 8psi of boost. Water temp rose to 190* and stayed there for my couple mile test drive, and the oil temp only came up to about 160* but it was still climbing when I shut my truck off. And when I drove it home I took it fairly easy, I did get on it hard a couple of times (well more than a couple :D ) but usually only for a couple of seconds. I didnt want to melt anything down ya now.

Yes I'm very happy with my exhaust, it has a nice deep big block gasser sound, along with a good amount of turbo whistle even at idle. My truck is a whole new beast, and I'm lovin it ;Sweet . I would say that you could almost compare my turbo whistle to that of a big rig, I got lots of it ;Sweet .

We turned the fuel (well actually Russ did) until it maxed out, which was about a quarter turn. And yes my truck will belch out the black smoke ;Sweet , especially when you lug it.

And yeah my parents are a little supportive. They were like why the heck are you going to put a turbo on that thing, you know if you blow that engine up you'll be riding the bus. But when I came home with it they had big ol' smiles on there faces telling me how good it sounded and everything.

I used to kinda not like driving my truck around, it was all right, but a little on the slow side for me. But now its like dang, I absolutly love driving my truck.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
My dad was PISSED.
Yeah, my wife used to get all bent about our 4 boys "Wasting time & Money & tying up shop space" messing with their rigs off & on. We used to have a welding-fab-repair shop. She'd ***** about them welding & going to school all day, then work on their rigs at night, instead of studying.

I'd tell her "Yeah, only other constructive thing I can think of for them to do is Do drugs, join a gang, do a few drive-bys, call 'ya from jail, be out making YOU some grandbabies for YOU to have to take care...."

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the install! ;Sweet Those EGT's sound low. Where is the probe mounted? That's cheating, doing the install in such a nice shop. LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the install! ;Sweet Those EGT's sound low. Where is the probe mounted? That's cheating, doing the install in such a nice shop. LOL

I told the bosses I needed to help my "cousin" so he could get to school everyday, gotta pul some strings sometimes.:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The probe is mounted in the drivers side exhaust manifold. I'll post up a pic of it to show you guys.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Justin, I must'a missed it. What turbo kit you guys stick in that thing? Factory IDI ATS or aftermarket ATS kit? I've never really looked at either.
Pics look totally different ATS setup than mine. However, I'm not gated, but the main difference I see is the exhaust turbine & compressor side is on opposite sides than mine. & it looks to mount different, toward Pass. side. & the compressor side is "clocked" coming in from top....mine right opposite. Swirl chamber intake is different, & bigger looking. For that matter, the compressor looks bigger too....

I guess I need to get out more & look round at things......

You guys install as usual for that set-up, or you do some tweakin & clocking & twisting & Rotating?

inquiring minds need to know...

On Edit: Never mind, I see now. I went & pulled up my PDF files on ATS Kit #'s 085, 088, & 093 & it all fell in place.....I see now.

Last edited: