Gearing up for a turbo install

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So, its just about time for me to throw my turbo onto my truck. I do need some things before hand though, I'll break it down for you guys.

Gauges:

So I'm going to go with ISSPRO gauges, and I know for sure that I am going to get a pyro and a boost gauge. Do you guys think that a 0-30psi gauge is overkill? I will be ordering my guages from here http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=20. They do offer a "manifold preasure" guage that goes to 15psi. The gauge they offer for the 6.9 idi is the 0-30 psi gauge, and it comes with everything to install it which is a big plus. But here's my next question, my budget is limiting me to 3 gauges, a boost, pyro, and either a Oil temp, or water temp gauge. So which guage do you guys think I should get, a oil temp, or water temp gauge?

Exhaust:

I would really like to have a complete 5" exhaust all the way back to exit behind the rear wheel, but I'm thinking that that pipe will cause clearance problems, so I might have to go down to a 4". Wheres the best place to get some exhaust tubing in that size? I would prefer an aluminized pipe, and I will be running without a muffler so I dont have to worry about that. When I buy the piping, do I need to get new hangers, or can I just cut the hangers off of my factory pipe and weld them onto the new pipe? Or do the hangers not go down far enough for a 4" pipe, causing the pipe to rub up against things? Where can I get a 4" pipe that I can use to go over my rear axle, cause its kinda has some weird angles in it, so I dont really think I can just use two 90* pipes. Wheres a good place to get a chrome 5" tip, I gotta have one?

Thats pretty much it, except when I put my turbo on, I have a new valve cover to go on so I might as well get new valve cover gaskets, where can I get new ones? Any other ideas as to what I need for the install? I was thinking about putting a body lift on, but I'm kinda on the fence about that.

And Shane, AKA SKimballC, when do you have some time off to help me out on this install? No preasure though, just whenever you feel like doing it.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

Go for the 15psi gauge. I found that a 30psi gauge is overkill, and is harder to read the fine increments, since you'll usually be below 10psi anyhow. I'd get a water temp gauge for the 3rd gauge, since it's a better indication of whats going on in the engine than oil temp. It'll let you know how hard you're pushing it on a long grade, in addition to your Pyro...

The 5" exhaust is definitely overkill for these old engines. I'm running a 4" MBRP exhaust on my truck, and it's PLENTY for the power levels we're all at. Shoot, you can run 500+ HP through a 4" exhaust easily. My 4" is close to the rear tank and spare tire, but I made it work. I don't know if you can easily get a 5" exhaust through there without moving other stuff.

My exhaust came with a nice polished tip that is 5". Check eBay for a deal on an exhaust kit for a 95-97 PSD, and you can make it work. It'll require a little welding but is probably the easiest and cheapest option if you want the tube that curves over the rear axle. I had mine to the door for under $275...

Good luck,
Ryan

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin,

I would go with the pyro, water temp, and 15 psi boost gauge. As far as the kit goes I'm pretty sure all you need to install the boost gauge is standard oil pressure tubing.
Here is where I got my 5" tailpipe here http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/shopdiesel/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/214.htm , and my brother inlaw got me some 5" water pipe to go to the tailpipe. I am still working on getting the exhaust in, but will report back when it's installed. I ended up getting a 4"to 6" stainless tip at a farm show from http://www.scheiddiesel.com/ford_exhaust.htm , the last tip on the bottom of the page, but got it for a show price for $40 :thumbsup:. Here are some pictures of the exhaust that going on my truck.

Attachments

• 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 35
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 24

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin-

Go for the 15psi gauge. I found that a 30psi gauge is overkill, and is harder to read the fine increments, since you'll usually be below 10psi anyhow. I'd get a water temp gauge for the 3rd gauge, since it's a better indication of whats going on in the engine than oil temp. It'll let you know how hard you're pushing it on a long grade, in addition to your Pyro...

The 5" exhaust is definitely overkill for these old engines. I'm running a 4" MBRP exhaust on my truck, and it's PLENTY for the power levels we're all at. Shoot, you can run 500+ HP through a 4" exhaust easily. My 4" is close to the rear tank and spare tire, but I made it work. I don't know if you can easily get a 5" exhaust through there without moving other stuff.

My exhaust came with a nice polished tip that is 5". Check eBay for a deal on an exhaust kit for a 95-97 PSD, and you can make it work. It'll require a little welding but is probably the easiest and cheapest option if you want the tube that curves over the rear axle. I had mine to the door for under $275...

Good luck,
Ryan

First off thanks for the responses. The only reason I asked about the oil temp gauges was that I heard somewhere that if you turn your truck off when your oil temp is high (like after pulling a big load), that the oil could cook in your turbo, and screw your turbo up. But I suppose I will be getting a water temp gauge.

I didnt even think about buying a first gen PSD exhaust and make that work, that actually sounds like the easiest thing for me to do, thanks for that idea.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely go for the "manifold presure" gauge. That's a boost gauge on an IDI. LOL Oil temp is a good one to have because the oil temp will change faster than the water temp. When your EGT's are up to the limit, and that hill has another mile to go, you will see how those piston cooling jets work, as you watch your oil temp rise. Your water temp will soon follow, as your oil cooler sucks up as much heat as it can out of the oil.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Definitely go for the "manifold presure" gauge. That's a boost gauge on an IDI. LOL Oil temp is a good one to have because the oil temp will change faster than the water temp. When your EGT's are up to the limit, and that hill has another mile to go, you will see how those piston cooling jets work, as you watch your oil temp rise. Your water temp will soon follow, as your oil cooler sucks up as much heat as it can out of the oil.

I totally agree with Mel 100%. Oil Temp. has more merit then water temp. My bud has an oil temp that came with his banks kit, and is a very nice guage to have. I had one on my Semi, thats a better indicator on when to shut off the truck then a pyro reading. After all thats whats cooling the turbo bearings.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Justin-
Like these other guys said, definitely stick with the 0-15 psi gauge. Here's the one I used to have. Here's the matching pyro. I have a tap for the pyro probe I can bring with me.
Personally I would go for the water temp gauge. I can't go without one.
Are you going to do the 3-pod on the a-pillar? That would be ;Sweet

I think you might need new hangers to weld on to your exhaust. Ron bought his 4" over-axle piece from NAPA. Here's that thread. You can get some 4" pipe from Airflo.

I should be game either weekend before or after Turkey Day. Go ahead and get your parts together, and let's slap that turbo in there. I can also help you make sure that you get just about everything you need before then. Shoot me a PM and we'll do some planning.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the responses. I might as well go all out and spend all of my remaining money on this, so I will get a oil temp and water temp gauge. I'm not going to put it on the A-pillar, I already have my tach there, and I have become accustomed to it there, so I will just buy 2 double gauge pods to go on either side of the steering wheel on the dash. This leads me to a question, where can I get two double gauge pod holders that house the gauges at an angle, so say if its to the left of you the gauges will have a slight angle to the right to compensate? I was looking at ordering from Egauges the gauge holders, but they dont have pods for either side that would work.

So I'm gonna go ahead and order up some gauges tonight, along with some stuff I need from LMC (a new dash, windshield wiper knob, and some other things).

Shane, I shoot you a pm later tonight to discuss the install.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey justin, I have those install instructions also. I used the first gen ps exhaust on mine and it fits fine. 4 inch is plenty big IMO. E guages is the best deal. I am pulling my dual pillar off and putting on a triple if you want to rivet it on yours or use the whole thing.
Let me know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hey justin, I have those install instructions also. I used the first gen ps exhaust on mine and it fits fine. 4 inch is plenty big IMO. E guages is the best deal. I am pulling my dual pillar off and putting on a triple if you want to rivet it on yours or use the whole thing.
Let me know.

Hey thanks Russ. I'm still kinda on the fence about the exhaust, I mean it would be alot simpler if I bought a psd exhaust, but it would be more expensive, and I would have the down-pipe and muffler that I would have to get rid of (sell it, which takes time and effort). While I could fab something up, which is more work, but is cheaper. I dont know I'll think about it these next couple days.

I'll send you a pm with my mailing address so you can mail me those install instructions, if you could do that for me.

And I just figured out my gauge pod dillema, the egauges had one word wrong and screwed me all up, said that a double pod was actually a triple, but in fact was only a double, so its sorted out.

I just bought the ISSPRO oil temp, water temp, 0-15psi boost gauge, and pyro from Oregon fuel injection. And I will order the pods in a couple minutes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the down pipe you have, a 3 to 4 inch adapter. I can get you the front ,mid and tail pipe at a good deal if you want. I have some muffler shop hookups.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

For what it's worth, the MBRP exhaust I used had a 3" to 4" adapter in the kit, as it came with a 3" PSD downpipe. I used the straight through muffler in the kit, as I could stick my arm through it and saw no restriction there. I ended up using the PSD downpipe as the intake pipe for my turbo, so I pretty much used up the entire kit. I really like to fab stuff, but a one-stop-shop solution is sometimes the best...

What kind of turbo are you installing?
Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA definitely has the 4" pipe but you still need the mandrel bent tailpipe from some manufacturer. NAPA sells it but doesn't stock it in my part of the country, maybe in Oregon you'd have better luck. Also you can get the 3-4" adapters there. If you're going to fab something up you need to be able to cut and splice that pipe and have the tailpipe to go over your rear axle.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin-

For what it's worth, the MBRP exhaust I used had a 3" to 4" adapter in the kit, as it came with a 3" PSD downpipe. I used the straight through muffler in the kit, as I could stick my arm through it and saw no restriction there. I ended up using the PSD downpipe as the intake pipe for my turbo, so I pretty much used up the entire kit. I really like to fab stuff, but a one-stop-shop solution is sometimes the best...

What kind of turbo are you installing?
Ryan

Huh, I didnt think you could use a downpipe as a intake pipe, that pretty smart of ya ;Sweet .

I kinda spent alot more money than planned on gauges, so I'm going to have to fab something up. I'm leaning towards getting my pipe from Napa, I'll use there part #54387 as the tailpipe that goes over the rear axle, and then get some straight 4" tubing and some adaptors and that should be good. Along with a nice chrome 5" tip as well :D .

I'm installing a wastegated ATS turbo, rebuilt by Russ aka Typ4.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is that tailpipe, you need to come over , I have some 4 inch left overs that you may need, remember I work in a truck shop. You know we might be able to do it there if you want some saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online