Fuel mileage

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had it up 2flats for along time and I didn't see significant drop In mpg when I turned it up again but I didn't tract the mpg I just put fuel in it and drove it lol but I think I'm gonna turn it back down a half a turn and see what it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I got the over the axle part of the exhaust from a '99 f350 dually Powerstroke and I'm getting some straight exhaust pipe and I'll have it fabed up

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys i know this thread is getting old but I need some new info lol I work at a gas station garage and my boss has agreed to giver all of his used French fry oil, I was gonna try and put it in my truck as fuel, anybody ever done this? I was thinking running it through a paint filter? Then just putting in the fuel tank? I'm gonna have some diesel in it so it wouldn't be pure WVO. Does this cause any side effects? Thanks sorry i know it's a lot of questions lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think diesel + fry oil is a no no. IIRC.
Need more filtration than that.
Check out the biodiesel/alternative fuels section here.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT POUR VEGETABLE OIL IN YOUR FUEL TANK. A gallon to a full tank in the summer is fine, but other than that, its a big no no. Especially with unfiltered oil.

If you want to get into wvo, do a heavy amount of research before you start anything. Your filtering needs to be top notch for wvo to pay off. You should filter down to atleast 5 microns, smaller yet would be better. A 5 micron bag filter and a barrel for the oil to settle out in is a good start.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the signature of the guy that posted right before you.....I'd probably listen to him. I'm just gonna guess that those are words of experience......

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time of year I run 80% WVO in my front tank, 100% diesel in the rear. Start on diesel, switch to WVO when the engine is up to temp, and reverse before shutdown. I dewater the oil by bringing up to 160F and holding, filter through a 100 micron prefilter, 5 micron sediment filter, and finish with a 10 micron spin on fuel filter. That filtration is not perfect, so I am putting together a centrifuge now. I have been running wvo in various cars, trucks, and tractors for the last 9 years.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what will poorly filtered WVO do to the truck? Take out the ip or trash the fuel filter?

Poorly Filtered WVO will plug fuel filters very fast. Even with dual tanks on the pickup, the valve to switch between the two tanks switches the supply and return at the same time. So say you have diesel in one tank and wvo in the other. Start up on diesel then switch to the oil tank. Then, all the residual diesel in the return lines is then pumped into the oil tank, which is fine. I run an 80/20 blend when it starts to get colder in october and november. But now, you are running on oil and want to switch back to diesel, so you switch the tank selector again. Then all the residual oil in the return lines is returned to the diesel tank. Pretty soon you have a diesel tank that is contaminated with vegetable oil, which will cause issues both if not filtered properly, and when below 50 degrees.

Vegetable oil, especially oil used to fry fatty foods like chicken, will turn solid well above freezing, and will be very thick above 50 or 60 degrees. Thick vegetable oil WILL DESTROY YOUR IP IMMEDIATLEY. Ask me how I know that.....

Take a look at these bag filters for filtering the oil that you get.
http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/bagfilters.php

And do alot of research on forums and websites such as the following to get more useful information.
http://www.wvodesigns.com/

If you live in a warm climate, you may be ok with running a BLEND of wvo in one tank, assuming it stays warm enough all the time. If you want to be more serious then that, look into a seperate tank, filter, valves, and you can then switch from diesel to oil in the cab with your new oil fuel system, while making sure that you are not putting any wvo in the diesel tank.

My father and I have been playing around with WVO for close to 10 years now; I have learned alot of what not to do from forums and never made the mistakes I read about, but have also learned a few lessons the hard way.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask or PM me.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neighbor of mine is running WVO in his PSD, using one of the stock tanks as a station-diesel tank. Elaborate system he designed himself, using TWO tanks in the bed AND the midship tank under the truck, and several filters / pumps, and a settling process, etc. He's charliec (or maybe charlie_c) over on the org; has a few threads detailing the build. Def not something to just dabble in; dude has obviously done a lot of research.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7