Fuel Filter - Permanent removal

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
How many of you have permanently removed the filter head and replaced it with just an after market in line filter. Realizing the loss of the heater and water seperator. If a small amount of water continously gets into the fuel line, IP and engine will there be a slow death to the engine. Every 5000 miles or so I change mine and cut it open only to find it almost clean as new. Everyone's opinions and experiences are appreciated. Also what do the newer PS Fords have for a fuel filter setup.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Incredibly bad idea. If you wanted to replace it with a higher grade spin on filter seperator setup , fine, but to replace it with a wimpy inline, your local pump rebuilder would become your best friend . It only takes one bad batch of fuel to really screw things up if not filtered properly

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I agree... If you don't like it mounted in the engine bay then move it to somewhere else - I did that on the Enterprise - put it under the truck under the driver's door. Very easy to get at - also put the oil filters there as well. But to go without a water sep... eeeee that scares me...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Even though you cut the replacement filter apart and found it spotless.... What was the media filter size??? It may have been passing all the crap and continuly showed it was clean when you disected it... I wouldn't try to replace the filter with anything lees than what it already is... I tend to overdo things and really try to make oem things better for longer life...

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you move the flter head under the truck you can buy a filter that has a water seperator in it with a drain valve on the bottom. I have thought about doing this and adding dual filters. I hate the factory setup myself.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the engine-mounted location of the fuel-filter has many draw-backs, not the least of which is the aggravation when changing the filter, there are two important advantages in it's location when the mercury starts dropping.

99% of engine shut-downs that get blamed on "gelled" fuel are actually filter stoppages due to wax clumps clogging the filter media.

With the factory filters location, under the hood and above the engine, every possible bit of warmth is available to prevent the wax from cooling enough to clog the filter.

Plus, the constant vibration keeps thing well shaken, further preventing the likelyhood of wax fall-out.

I much prefer a remote filter location that is easier to access, but in sub-zero climates, the factory set-up does have it's advantages.;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I think Mel had a write-up on moving the filter down to help with air leaks...

I run a 10 micron Racor filter in addition to my stock filter (which is 8 micron)

I know a couple weeks ago I looked in the clear filter bowl and there was a SIGNIFICANT amount of sand in there right after I bought fuel at AM/PM :puke:

I changed my almost brand new $35 racor filter and went along my merry way...

A filter is a whole lot cheaper than an injection pump and 8 injectors! :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. That is in my "thoughts on hard starts and air" article. I've had zero problems with the frame rail mounted filter. I'd be inclined to say that just as much warm air is available under there, as on top of the engine... perhaps more so when underway. The main disadvantage would be during idle or when your not moving. Change to one of the Wix filters mentioned in the parts bin. These will stop the water for you, as well as provide good filtration.

bud48fla

Reaction score
I run a frame mounted electric fuel pump and a screen filter before the pump then a Fleetguard 2 micron water separator, works very well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online