Fuel filter light comes up what could be the cause?

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had a large amount of black particles on it. My kenworth ended up with black sludge and I bought a case of stuff to dissolve the asphatines and took about 5 filter changes for it to clear up. This is not near as bad.

RanniWins

Reaction score
I got same issue with my Kenworth not a long ago and I couldn’t find a reason, visited WallWork truck service center, apparently fuel filter was clogged, they fixed it. All good.…You can take a look at it. But make sure to check it properly, because driving with the fuel filter light on can cause further damage to the fuel system and engine. Good luck.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
I'm trying to buy a fuel filter in the usa, here I can't get them.
so it will take a while before I can continue.
take another filter as was mentioned before is (almost) not doable, because with these plastic pipes I can't make a durable connection with the material we have here. and reliable is a must for me!
and all the other functions this filter head incorporates.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone here know about these nylon fuel line connectors Ford uses? I remember a year ago I found a website about those, all explained (4 different models) and you could order them there. but of course, forgotten.
Are you asking about the nylon fuel return lines if so wes at classic diesel designs sells fuel return line kits and all those nylon lines are just covered rubber i had been searching for the same thing cause i wanted the nylon fuel lines n they seem to be rare to find that n i am a purest for vehicles

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at last, got one (1) fuel filter delivered today, for a ridiculous price!
I'm so long off this project now, start forgetting things :-(
I need to have the fuel lines cleaned now, but I also remember that purging the fuel lines is not easily done IIRC?
I have the factory manual, but i'm a bit lost in there, at at least 3 different chapters they refer to "somewhere else" and so I cannot find that.
would someone mind help me in the right direction please?
I've also found a product called "aciticide cmg" I'm mighty curious how that works out?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, here a look at how the contamination is presenting itself, the filter comes later on.

Attachments

• IMG-20230525-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230525-WA0003.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20230525-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230525-WA0001.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. get some Bio-Cide or what ever the stuff is called and what ever they use in France to kill off the growth.

Fuel tanks not kept full and sitting around for a long time, these little critters will start to grow.
Condensation can occure in particially filled tanks, and a combination of that and right temperatures can cause the problems.

That is one plugged up Shower head.

Goat

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep...
as far as my info get's, I'm supposed to give a shock treatment with that stuff, and just get that in the tank, and run with it, correct?
and then it is supposed to dissapear?

Tbh, I haven't a clou how and with what I should clean that tank and the shower head? any of you?

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aircraft & boats also suffer from this slime. You're gonna have to kill that stuff first and then treat it with a preventative. It's tough to get rid of ----- might look at this article

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kill the growth with a biocide of some sort. https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/
Then add a tank/system cleaner. https://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/
And then do a procedure called "fuel system polishing".

I use power service products for all of that. You being in France, I'm not sure what is available/economical. But they still have diesel vehicles in France, so they have to have something comparable available. Fuel polishing is something done primarily by sailboat owners, as they suffer from fuel algae issues much more frequently then anybody.

The polishing procedure is what removes the trash/left over remnants. It's not exactly necessary, as you can use the vehicle fuel pump and filter to clean the fuel. But I find it much easier and less troublesome to use a fuel polisher instead. Especially since a case of fuel filters isn't exactly cheap. You can spend thousands on a dedicated piece of equipment to do it, but I made one out of a cheap 120v pump and a spare semi truck fuel filter/water separator.

I see fuel algae occasionally by working with farmers/ag, as their tanks will be used non-stop for a week, then sit half full for the rest of the year.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a bottle of "Grotamar", seems very effective and known around here?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was told, it would be enough to do a "shock treatment" by the manufacturer from that chemical, and continue to drive, so I did.
(you mix a double or triple dose of that product into your tank, let it circulate by driving through the whole system and that should do the job.) and then go over to a maintenance doses of that product every time you fill her up.

well, In my case; I mixed the "shock treatment" into the tank, and started driving, but I guess there wass too much Algea in the tank, because my engine starved. I just could get my truck on a safe spot before it died on me.
I tried to restart her, even a day after, but nogo :-(
now I'm busy to work around the original filter and transfer pump (I took of the hose from the tank to the mechanical pump) and I'm busy preparing a small 5Liter jug with Petroleum and the "shock treatment" to let that circulate through the injectors and injector pump, so that they keep free from the algae growth. (petroleum because that is thinner as regular diesel oil,so it can get everywhere easier, and as far as I know it hasn't that "Bio component" mixed in, so it will not facilitate algae growth.)

Yesterday evening I succeed to restart the engine again, but just for 10 seconds, I guess it needs a pressure pump, it just cannot suck the diesel oil in itself?

But already, I'm very happy, because it is not conserning the engine itself, just the fuel system, ie tank and filters!

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to get her running again, now with a electric pump for the moment, got all the diesel treated, checked both tanks, the odd result: front tank contaminated (metal tank) rear tank: clean??? (plastic tank) Though I noticed, her was no shower head installed???
(The remaining plastic was very brittle.) I guess they have removed the existing one, since I found no parts in the tank.

Oh yes, this Schrader valve in the filter head, it serves at what?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Schrader is used to bleed air out of the system and test lift pump pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7