Fried injector?

Motorhome idi

Reaction score
Hey I'm only 16 so this is prolly a silly question but i was replacing the o rings on an injector and i didn't unhook the batteries.... I was using a metal prong thing and i touched the injector and it sparked for a second... It was a pretty loud spark and there was some smoke... I figured one spark from 12v couldn't take a whole injector down but it has a weird noise and shakes a little when I start it. I drove it for about 100 miles too.. Is the cylinder okay or should i become an alcoholic?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
The injection system is completely mechanical,and besides the fuel shutoff solenoid (fss) there is nothing that you could short out.If it starts and runs,then that's not your problem.IDI's rattle and shake in general,but more so If you cold start it.I consider anything under 50 F a cold start for these engines.It doesn't sound like bad injector(s) to me.And if by any chance it was,it would be totally unrelated,but you didn't say there was a loss of power or any sign of something wrong,so I think it's a classic case of worrying you busted something,and your mind playing tricks on you.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You don't have to unhook the batteries to replace the injector O-rings. I have no idea where a spark could have come from. Even if using a metal "prong", you would have to touch something with power going to it with the key in the off position in order to ground out on your injector. I use a metal pick to remove the injector o-rings and never had any sparks happen. Depending on where, exactly, the spark happened on the injector, there's an extremely small chance that the spark could have damaged the injector. Maybe, possibly, if the spark happened inside the hole in the very top of the injector (where the fuel goes into the injector) then there could be a small bit of metal that is either partially blocking the hole, or it could have come loose and gone down inside the injector. Either way, it could be blocking off part of the fuel resulting in a miss. I will repeat that this is an EXTREMELY unlikely thing to have happen. If it is a bad injector (for whatever reason) then your cylinder is probably fine, but damage may happen if I'm wrong and the injector is actually hanging wide open. That would eventually wash all of the oil off of your cylinder wall, which would cause scoring and you'd have to have machine work done. That is if you keep driving it with the injector hanging wide open.