Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I still feel you need to know what the block was decked and.. Thats a complete tear down. Also the dimension you posted about the piston deck protrusion height is suspect to be. I have not read how you took those dimensions of 20 outside the cylinder deck. The pistons will rock in the cylinders a small amount. That rocking can really throw off your measurement. The tool I have posted and offered as a loaner is for me the only true way to capture the actual piston height. you zero it. Place it over the cylinder and run the piston up till the dial indicator stops gaining thousands. It takes the measurement off the center or any area you want. As I mentioned. The center of our pistons is where it reads best. Any piston rock will not change the reading if you take it off the center or withing maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch of dead center. If you find this dimension to be correct at 20 thousands. Well all I can say is the pistons must be milled. I can't tell you what amount needs to me milled off because I can't see what is going on in your engine. But knowing that not ALL the valves contacted the pistons the same tells me something is not correct. Like maybe the heads were decked off square so some valves got closer in the geometry of their action. Measuring the head thickness in several places will tell you if they are true. They can be flat but if the milling was done of an angle from front to back of the head only measuring front and back head thickness will tell what may have been done. You know what cylinder hit hardest. Measure those areas most of all. You will need a 5 to 8 inch mic for this. Factory original head thickness is 4.805 and minimum is 4.795. I still do not understand why the min thickness has anything to do with valve action if all the valves are recessed into the seats like they should be. We run a hydraulic roller lifter and it "makes" its own valve lash usually in the center of the lifter piston riding on the oil cushion.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, they did not mill the heads a second time. This is what makes me think the cam has something to do with this. There are no valve imprints on original short block Pistons. When I brought them in a couple weeks ago, All they did was hot tank heads and inspect for cracks. No milling no nada. Drivers head measures at 4.795 & passenger is 4.800 thickness.
I used a straight edge & feeler gauges with 2 different Pistons @ tdc & 4 different locations and they were all .020.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
the cam....
due to the higher lift cam, the valves are protruding into the "combustion area" more.

Now I'll admit I don't know much at all about cam specs, but if these are reground factory cams, how does it increase lift?
I know the duration and overlap is changed, but didn't know more lift was added.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'll admit I don't know much at all about cam specs, but if these are reground factory cams, how does it increase lift?
I know the duration and overlap is changed, but didn't know more lift was added.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

on any regrinds, you grind the base lobe smaller, then you can get any cam profile you want.
if grinding them small enough you may need longer pushrods.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did the valves make contact mostly on the head that measures 4.975 or ??? Have you measured the head where the contact was most evident. Every piston must be measured. Please compare the head thickness to the areas where the most contact was made and post back the findings if possible. I'm really not ready to point fingers at the cam. I do understand regrinding cams and ending up with more lift because the base circle was made smaller so we end up with more lift. My guess at this point is something has been milled a little too much. I recall russ asking about an over pressurization from the oil pump too but you mentioned you watched the gauge for just that thing. Might want to measure the pushrod lengths too if they were replaced.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushrods were not replaced but will be. Much more contact on the cylinder head that measured 4.795 compared to the other head that measured 4.800.
I had a oil pressure test gauge hooked up to engine during startup to monitor exact psi. Nothing abnormal there. Psi was good

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the valves make contact mostly on the head that measures 4.975 or ???

If I'm keeping score correctly, the thinner head (by 0.005") is the drivers side and the one that the valves were touching. Maybe it's a case of the tolerances stacking up against you?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 4.975 head did make more contact, however all valves were recessed pretty much the same, within thousandths of the other side.....

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm keeping score correctly, the thinner head (by 0.005") is the drivers side and the one that the valves were touching. Maybe it's a case of the tolerances stacking up against you?

Both sides were touching. Yes drivers head showed more contact. And yes, I think there is a tolerance issue lol.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a zero-tolerance policy for violence and harassment in your engine??? LOL LOL

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriousley the piston protrusion needs an exact answer.( my latest quess)
He said she said...
Block, valvetrain stacking, possible high rpm oilpump issues?
You aint holding your chin just right?
Nuthin but the first line matter , then the stacking up of tollerences.
Hang in there.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old family friend who builds model A engines. Pretty sure he has a dial indicator that I could borrow & double check

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The dial indicator wont tell you anything by itself. You need more tools and thats all I can say about getting a CORRECT measurement. Or remove ALL the pistons and mill 20 from each one. At this moment you have an interference fit engine and that is not good.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dial indicator wont tell you anything by itself. You need more tools and thats all I can say about getting a CORRECT measurement. Or remove ALL the pistons and mill 20 from each one. At this moment you have an interference fit engine and that is not good.

Went over to his house and he had a dial indicator w/ deck swivel mag I plan on testing out tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online