Found out why it has a Death Shake! now what to do?

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

working on a '88 F-250 7.3L ZF5 2WD standard cab truck that has a death shake when you get to 45 mph, so bad that you have to stop for it to go away. not safe to drive.

Here are the pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Its cracked by the steering box and the Local Stealership fixed it about 10 years ago (i have the receipts).

Basicly, I want to sell it, but its not safe to drive, runs pretty good (under 40 mph). i was hoping to fix it up and sell it at around $2500, but i need you guys opinion.

Should I:
A) Take it somewhere or hire a welder to repair it
or
B) Strip it down and sell parts

Here is an old pic of it:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
seriously cannot believe they called that a weld, or "fixed"

I second having it re-welded.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I dont see where it was welded.

edit: i think i see it. But why did they stick a whole pack of juicy fruit bubble gum over top?

edit edit: I also think the spider webs are the only thing keeping that truck together

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix it and keep her or sell for parts if someone dies in it you sell it to its on you if you don't tell the new owner and have them sign a paper that you told them and release responsibilty on it and most people won't buy it when you tell them but maybe a farmer or somthing for a pasture farm rig that doesn't leave his property

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

edit: i think i see it. But why did they stick a whole pack of juicy fruit bubble gum over top?

edit edit: I also think the spider webs are the only thing keeping that truck together

That's not juicy fruit gum...Nope that thar is what I call chicken **** welding...grab the chicken by the neck...squeeze the neck and down onto the body with the other hand nice n hard...and what comes out the ass gets deposited onto that which your welding....thus...chicken **** welding!:rotflmao

edit, and from what I have seen in my time...thars many a chicken **** welder proficient in his skilzz out there too:eek:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
it almost looks like they didnt knock the slag off. thats why it might look so terrible. either way bubble gum or slag its most likely cracked under there.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if you were closer, I'd tell you to bring it over and we could fix that....

I say instead of taking it somewhere to have it welded, take the $300-400 you'd spend and buy a welder for yourself, it's obvious you couldn't do any worse even if you've never used one yourself! LOL

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score

Oh, dont worry my friend, this truck is a FORD not a chebby. Much more that cob webs holding it together.

Yikes! - please say it wasn't Citrus Motors that did that....

Uh-Oh.... You hit it on the head.... What other bad news should i know about?

Fix it and keep her or sell for parts. if someone dies in it, who you sell it to, its on you if you don't tell the new owner and have them sign a paper that you told them and release responsibilty on it and most people won't buy it when you tell them but maybe a farmer or somthing for a pasture farm rig that doesn't leave his property

Thats why i dont want to tell the wife anything. She will have an anxiety attack (seriously) if she ever finds out i sold it and it *might* break and hurt someone...

if you were closer, I'd tell you to bring it over and we could fix that....

I say instead of taking it somewhere to have it welded, take the $300-400 you'd spend and buy a welder for yourself, it's obvious you couldn't do any worse even if you've never used one yourself! LOL

Don't Worry, my pops gots a nice Millermatic 35 with a nice heavy wire that will weld that up nicely. But I was thinking about consulting someone who is a 'professional'...

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I "was" a professional weldor for So. Cal. Edison for 30 years. Thats not a weld you have there. What is it??? Something you got charged for but didn't get. Nobody at any dealership has the ability to weld upside down thats for sure. Just looking at what they did tells me that. To be done proper the crack must be ground to a bevel. cleaned up then welded. The rod to be used will be 7018 lo hi rod probably 3/32. Amps needs to be around 105 or 107. If you really want to burn in the first pass run 115 amps...Welding overhead like this is really the same as welding flat. Ground really close to the weld so the currant does not have to travel a long ways too...The dealer that did that should be horsewhipped and sued.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
I knew i came to the right forum. Thanks for all the fast replies.

and now, Gary has given his opinion. we can close this up now!

I have taken some welding classes and spent quite a few hours welding, so i had gotten confirmation from Gary that it needs to be ground down and started over again. I will take off the steering box and find the end of the crack, drill a hole there to relieve pressure/stress, then fill in the hole and previously ground down beveled crack area with weld. Then a few more welding passes. Im also thinking on welding a fish plate over that to further reinforce that.

I wont be able to work on it tomorrow, but i will update with more pictures as i dive into this repair.

oh, and here is a pic of a Millermatic 35: Plenty of power to weld and penetrate deep.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imho that is a liability bomb waiting to go off. Be honest in the ad and specify that it is being sold as a parts truck. I'd even go as far as turning the title into a salvage cert in order to insure whoever buys it will have to go through great trouble to put it back on the road again..

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuck - I would grind all of that crap off, bevel both sides and weld it up on both sides if possible. I would then grind it flat and cut a diamond out of 3/16's and weld it over the crack to prevent future failure.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You have plenty of suggestions/advice for fixing it but how did it get broken to begin with? Did you buy it that way?