throw out bearing woes.. I FOUND THE PROBLEM, and it was simple, too!

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is lets hope it hasn't caused any damage. I checked out my trans yesterday and I do indeed have the dreaded cracked T19 aluminum belhousing at the clutch pivot :( I want to start posting pictures but my photobucket is being a POS

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good news is that the ZF-5 is really not a complicated transmission to rebuild. My output shaft bearing went out, probably making similar noises to yours. I ended up swapping the guts from a gasser ZF-5 into my diesel case, and replacing the seals. I still have my “bad” transmission gear set, and am planning to rebuild it if my current trans gives me problems. Here’s an excellent YouTube walkthrough that I probably watched 10 times:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!
I removed the flywheel cover last night and peeked in and saw the cover had score marks on the inside.... I looked at the clutch disc and I noticed one of the springs was weak and loose in the housing. I further saw that a piece of the spring was protruding from the disc. I added 2 and 2 and sure enough: If I left the cover off , NO NOISE!! So, it looks like Im gonna replace the clutch set sometime this year. Thanks guys for all your help and input thus far.... Another problem in the books!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is confusing. I want to leave a like for finding out the problem. On the other hand, you'll have to replace the clutch so that's not a like. If you still have a dual mass flywheel, that would be a good time to convert to a single mass if you want to.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is confusing. I want to leave a like for finding out the problem. On the other hand, you'll have to replace the clutch so that's not a like. If you still have a dual mass flywheel, that would be a good time to convert to a single mass if you want to.
What are you talking about! Anytime someone actually finishes these mystery novels YOU BETTER give em the "like"!

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the input. Gonna go to Cowtown with the youngest male child tomorrow. See if the parts are any cheaper over there. The Permian Basin is sky high!... Not everybody makes "oilfield money".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online