throw out bearing woes.. I FOUND THE PROBLEM, and it was simple, too!

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys it appears LuLu Belle is in need of a throw-out bearing. She makes a whirring/ jingling noise from underneath the chassis. I also hear a "knocking
noise when accelerate. It wont do it at idle only when moving. I guess after 33 years something has to give. Are there anything I need to look out for specifically when I do the job in the drive way?
Ive got access to a transmission jack . Ive thought of buy longer bolts in order to just scoot the transmission back enough to swap out the bearing, but im not sure that will work. I know this is going to be an all day job, any shortcuts of hints you guys have to offer will be appreciated. Su Amigo: mexicanjoe!

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a throw-out bearing? Does the noise change when you push in the clutch? I would expect a constant noise while moving to be either a transmission bearing or u-joint problem.

That said, pulling the trans isn't that bad. I have had the T19 + AA Gear Splitter out of mine twice in the past few weeks. I can drop the trans in less than 90 minutes. A transmission jack is a big help. I also put a hand jack under the front crank pulley to help align the engine / trans during re-installation. Pull the shifter out in the cab first.

You must be registered for see images attach

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 5 speed transmission and I have thought about the transmission going out. It doesnt make noise idling, but the it does, going down the road. there is no noise when the clutch pedal is either depressed or not. this is my conundrum!

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The integral bellhousing makes it a bit more fun. However, same rules apply and jacking the front of the motor up so the trans tips down will definitely give you a bit more clearance.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ive got a 5 speed transmission and I have thought about the transmission going out. It doesnt make noise idling, but the it does, going down the road. there is no noise when the clutch pedal is either depressed or not. this is my conundrum!
If it's your throw out bearing, it will make noise when you push in the clutch pedal. That's when it's being spun by the clutch pressure plate. Why don't you try changing the transmission fluid if it has a lot of miles on it. When I did that to mine last spring, it made the transmission pretty quiet again. It also started shifting easier too.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks IDIBRONCO! Ill try that first. I also spoke with a friend of mine who ask that I add one can of STP motor oil treatment to the tranny fluid! He claims it really works, but then he drives a Ford with a T-19 transmission. Hopefully I will find a solution.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it doesn’t sound like a throw out bearing. I would check your u-joints for sure, and also check the fluid in your transmission, transfer case, and rear end. The one with burned/nasty fluid will be the problem.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also spoke with a friend of mine who ask that I add one can of STP motor oil treatment to the tranny fluid!
That very well could work. You could also use Lucas or several other brands of additives. It (or maybe another if you use something else) may work better with your ZF5 than a 4 speed. The ZF5s use thinner fluid so it may do more. Even if you change the fluid, it still may not hurt to put in an additive.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys: I did change the transmission fluid out and it was nasty. Probably the original fluid. Took LuLUBelle out for a drive. No more knocking noise but the jingling noise is still present though not as prevalent. This leads me to think it could be under the hood!!! Ill keep you guys informed on what I learn. Got so much to do on the old truck, just not enough time and $$$$....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How about some more info on the jingling noise? When does it make the noise? All the time? Sometimes? If sometimes, when/under what conditions? Is there extra shaking/vibrations when it's making the noise?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too as my truck has a similar noise with the 6.9/T19 combo. I did just do a clutch master cylinder fluid flush and bleed as well as a clutch pedal heim joint and this is when the problem presented itself. Before it had no noise but then again i've been driving this truck back and forth from AZ to CA for work which is about 600 miles round trip. I've done this trip about 4 times now. Seems like the throwout bearing and input shaft it slides on could use some lube.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jingling noise is not very loud, but going down the road you can hear it when the transmission is in gear or not; whether the clutch is engaged or not. I'm thinking somewhere I've got a loose piece of metal. BTW the knocking noise I think I can attribute to a faulty injector, because when I switched tanks the noise was diminished and the then disappeared. I looked under my transmission and noticed my flywheel and everything covered in black oil. OF COURSE IT LEAKS, ITS A 1989 MODEL! So I think this weekend Ill take the power washer and hose out the thing underneath. stay tuned folks, it aint over yet.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove it this morning and it sounded really good UNTIL i accelerated through a light and then the knocking sound reappeared. Ill grab a stethoscope and listen to the noise. It its a bearing , I guess Im outta luck. It its a transmission ............it aint gonna purty!! Maybe its just a throwout bearing......I believe this is the original clutch and transmission.
Due to the motor oilleaks present, Ill have to run it through the car wash.......But HEY!! No rust underneath !!!!!!!!
Stay tuned to this BAT CHANNEL!