Formally Introducing... Red Fred the Rusty ol Flatbed

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Since you are thinking about going with a momentary switch for the glow plugs, disconnect the electical connector on the GP controller before you install new glow plugs. Just squeeze and pull, It's probably hooped, and that's probably why your existing GPs are burnt out.

You'll be wanting these glow plugs: Motocraft ZD-1-A

You must be registered for see images attach

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on Fred!

It's been a long time since I've worked on the truck. Mostly it sat all winter long while I worked on my shop. Now that my walls are up, I'm indulging just a bit and diving into some maintenance to get the truck going.

First order of business was glow plugs. Got those swapped with some good ones. The existing were junk, but luckily not swollen so they came out easily. Only three busted knuckles on the injector bracket. Man, that's sharp! Also, for anyone else brand new at this game, your average 3/8" deep socket 1/4 drive WON'T fit. The hex doesn't go deep enough to clear the spade connector. Craftsman is the only one I found that would clear it, and that was the fifth store I tried. That was the hardest part of the project, just driving all over town! But, got that done. Sorry, no pics. I was covered in grease and excited to be working!

Next up was a filters change. Air - duh. Easy. Wingnut and I'm golden.
Fuel - pretty easy. Had to get the strap wrench out but not a biggie.
Oil - should be no problem, right?
Holy stink! That thing was ON THERE!!!! I don't know what kind of spinach the P.O. was eating but woweee! I finally, after trying everything else, did the screwdriver through the side trick. With a cheater bar. And an extension. 6 different times! It was nuts I tell ya!
Here's the aftermath:

From there it got easier. Pressure washed the bed frame after pulling out the rotten bed Wood, and got some full 2"x8" rough hewn timbers to replace it. I'll water proof them here shortly, but I'm thrilled to have them in there. In time I may have to screw them to the metal frame, but for now they are cut to size and screwed to each other. I figure there won't be much uplift, just weight.

Next up will be cowl seal and figure out my fuel issues. Leaning toward a bronco tank and new fuel lines direct to the lift pump bypassing all the switches and valves. We'll see where we end up.

As it sits now, it starts, stops, and steers. Got it to fire up for the first time without ether since I've owned him! Injectors bled, 10 secs on the manual button, fired right up. Booyah! Next step is to wire my push button to the inside of my cab, instead of sitting on the battery like it currently is. Man, being able to both sit INSIDE my truck, AND start it... such luxury!

Also seems like my smoke haze clears up once it's fully warmed up. Going to get it running better and really romp on the throttle to see if that clears it up even more. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

Chris Helton

Reaction score
Any chance that old girl came from SW Washington? It looks suspiciously like the sister to my red truck. I got a long box and my buddy got the flatbed from a construction firm that went belly up....

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I've been wondering if you were in hibernation or something. :D

Good looking shop!

Ha! Yeah, not quite hibernation, although it's sounded nice at times. I've used working on my truck as the carrot to keep me working on my shop. I couldn't touch it until I got my walls insulated and covered. Now that he runs, it's sheetrock the ceiling, and side the gable ends, paint, and I'm there! Here's the inside (and the next project I'll tackle) :

Any chance that old girl came from SW Washington? It looks suspiciously like the sister to my red truck. I got a long box and my buddy got the flatbed from a construction firm that went belly up....

That's sure cool! You know, I suppose it's possible! The PO Supposedly bought it from the original owner who used it to haul hay from Wenatchee to Seattle. But then again, the Previous Owner also looked like he enjoyed a fair amount of his own type of grass, so not sure I fully believe it. I picked it up in North Bend, WA, so it's quite close. Possible for sure! Got any photos of your rig?

Chris Helton

Reaction score
The "ugly truck". My buddy bout a red regular cab flatbed, and mine came with it as a non running parts truck. Over the past decade she has been getting rebuilt to being mechanically "as new" condition, but still retains the patina. I'm moving forward with an ATS turbo next week, and then, maybe paint, so my wife will ride in it!

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, not quite hibernation, although it's sounded nice at times. I've used working on my truck as the carrot to keep me working on my shop. I couldn't touch it until I got my walls insulated and covered. Now that he runs, it's sheetrock the ceiling, and side the gable ends, paint, and I'm there! Here's the inside (and the next project I'll tackle) :

That's sure cool! You know, I suppose it's possible! The PO Supposedly bought it from the original owner who used it to haul hay from Wenatchee to Seattle. But then again, the Previous Owner also looked like he enjoyed a fair amount of his own type of grass, so not sure I fully believe it. I picked it up in North Bend, WA, so it's quite close. Possible for sure! Got any photos of your rig?

Love your shop! (dig Fred too). I'm in the "4 stakes in the ground" phase while I duke it out with the zoning board over the size I want to put up, but hopefully this summer and then I can get started on my projects too. As it is I'm stuck with jack stands on dirt, can't wait.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words all!

Yeah, the ol F1 is the next project once Red Fred is reliable (ie: starts without ether, stops, and doesn't die at freeway speeds). Should be a fun project. Frank is that one's name. :)

Quick question for the gurus here - looking to buy that extended tank, and I've got a F26E queued up in my cart but I want to make sure that's the right one? I know there's also a F26D, and other 38 gal options, which is the right one for an 84?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Spectra website lists F26C. Going to buy that one tonight unless someone starts screaming at me.

Last edited:

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered up the F26C, which is what the website recommended for my year. Wasn't HARD, but wasn't the easiest either. Removed the bed wood, got the old tank out quickly. Since there was a hole in the bottom it made it light. [emoji16]
Worst part was the quarter inch interference with the tow hitch. Had to remove it, and man, those 6 bolts were FROZEN. PB blaster, breaker bar, and a lot of busted knuckles and it came loose. Phew!
Got the new tank in, plumbed it in, then drained the old front tank. I'll leave it in there for an emergency, but it's not plumbed.

Runs great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also gotta say, now that this thing doesn't leak, starts (fairly) easily, and runs well, it is AWESOME!! I don't know how this tuck brings more joy and contentment than any of my other rigs, but it does! I'm hooked!

From my recent trip into work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know @nitroguy I'm a pretty new IDI owner and I want to say I went through a similar phase as you. And I agree, there is something uniquely special about driving these trucks. I love mine and wouldn’t trade it for much of anything. Would love to hear an update about your rig, I just read the whole story and it was pretty neat.