*%$!@#$! FORDS!

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
GRRR...... now I remember why I always bought chevy! Sorry I needed to blow off some steam -cuss
Well I have been having a week long saga with this damn Epump install, I got it all in and working just freekin fine and then my alt. blows up. So I go get a nice rebuilt 100amp one get it put on, n now I have a bad regulator (or so I thought) being not so electrically inclined (ok Electrical stuff baffles me) Well anyway in my regulator removal I find my REAL problem. One of the stupid connections in the plug is rotted off! well im still going to get the 100 amp regulator just for peace of mind, but now I need to cob job the da'gum wiring!
IF I shouldnt be able to find a good plug and wiring at the junk yard, where am I supposed to find one???
Oh yeah, now I have a return line leak on the frame rail that wasent there before! all this just keeps piling up, and im getting fed up with rust in my eyes, n diesel soked clothes (not like diesel fuel smell is a bad thing) but still, I drive it like 3 times a week, n im spending more time under it, then in it! I love her to death, but after I get the electrical systems operating again, Im willing to sell to anyone interested here in the forums. :cry:
shes getting to be too much for me right at this point in time. If anyone is interested 3K will take er.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Check your parts store. Napa should have it for sure but I've seen them in other parts stores. Had mine do that on the way to Tenn.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, good thing chevys never had any electrical problems :)

dude, you live in NY and drive a 14 year old truck.... sh*t rots. you'll be fine, we all have days like this.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
This is my opinion as well. We should be able to expect ten years out of the body and electrical systems. The rest, about 200k miles. After that, it's your fault for not replacing it sooner. Or, something like that.

I've driven and worked on a lot of old cars, and none are any better than the other as far as this stuff goes.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
see your first mistake was messing with something that worked fine I know lots of other guys will disagree with me but changing out the mechanical lift pump for an electric one is just crazy (almost sounds like a powerstroke) if you would have just replaced the lift pump with a mechanical one you would have been done in like 15 minutes instead of working on it all week and when these other minor problems arouse you wouldn't have already been fed up with it and just fixed them and been done and happy

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Aric -

I actually agree with you. Assuming your return lines are good, there is no advantage to an electric pump. Ford used a mechanical one for a reason.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
Aric -

I actually agree with you. Assuming your return lines are good, there is no advantage to an electric pump. Ford used a mechanical one for a reason.

And they stopped using them for a reason as well! :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
see your first mistake was messing with something that worked fine I know lots of other guys will disagree with me but changing out the mechanical lift pump for an electric one is just crazy (almost sounds like a powerstroke)

Yep, I would be one of them! :)

I like not having to worry about engine RPM and such to make fuel, fast filter filling etc. But I agree that the benefits are limited otherwise. OH, and it is great for pulling a can of diesel for starting a fire - so there are survival issues to consider as well! That is what the shrader valve up on the filter is for, right? :rotflmao

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah and they stopped ussing throttle cables for electric sensors and fuel injection timed by gears for another sensor so it don't make it better

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowboy_Customs said:
GRRR...... now I remember why I always bought chevy! Sorry I needed to blow off some steam -cuss
Well I have been having a week long saga with this damn Epump install, I got it all in and working just freekin fine and then my alt. blows up. So I go get a nice rebuilt 100amp one get it put on, n now I have a bad regulator (or so I thought) being not so electrically inclined (ok Electrical stuff baffles me) Well anyway in my regulator removal I find my REAL problem. One of the stupid connections in the plug is rotted off! well im still going to get the 100 amp regulator just for peace of mind, but now I need to cob job the da'gum wiring!
IF I shouldnt be able to find a good plug and wiring at the junk yard, where am I supposed to find one???
Oh yeah, now I have a return line leak on the frame rail that wasent there before! all this just keeps piling up, and im getting fed up with rust in my eyes, n diesel soked clothes (not like diesel fuel smell is a bad thing) but still, I drive it like 3 times a week, n im spending more time under it, then in it! I love her to death, but after I get the electrical systems operating again, Im willing to sell to anyone interested here in the forums. :cry:
shes getting to be too much for me right at this point in time. If anyone is interested 3K will take er.

Hey now. My 2001 Chevrolet is THE WORST vehicle I've ever owned. My '98 Ranger is a close second.

At 40,000 miles the transmission went on the Impala. No excuses for such junk. Cost me $3000 to replace here in Monterey, where labor's $85 an hour and they charge book rate. :draw

My last GM vehicle...

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Huh, My 97 Grand Prix is prolly one of the best cars I've ever owned. Bought it new and alls I've done to it is preventive maintainence and wear items. 126K miles and running strong. You can't beat the cast iron 3800, the 4l60e is one tough tranny.

Lets see.... if I started rattling off things I've replaced on my 85, I could fill this entire little forum box.

I'd say that if CC's alt crapped out after a whopping 3amp load the electric pump added. It was about to fail soon anyways.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
My 95 Ranger was a POS.... nearly got bought back by Ford.... unloaded it in a sale.

The 99 Ranger sorta redeemed my faith in Ford products.... however the 98 Contour I have now really has. But quality on all the domestics has gone downhill since then.... basically in the toilet in my opinion. So has the goodies for price thing too.

My old '96 2500 CTD was trouble-free the entire time I had it.... only time it had problems was when I blew the clutch out of it.... but it didnt strand me... just had to drive home with no clutch. That took some serious thinking... LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
yeah and they stopped ussing throttle cables for electric sensors and fuel injection timed by gears for another sensor so it don't make it better

Now wait just a cotton-picken minute, don't you own a PSD? :)

Just giving you a hard time. My truck had an electric, so I replaced it with another one when it died. I do like somethings about it and don't like the others. I guess I don't care if I am original or not. Matter of fact, most of my truck is aftermarket.

I wish I had a comparision from mechanical to electric. I can tell you that I don't think my previous electric ever made the right pressure since I owned the truck. I am quite certain I was fuel starved and when I put this Carter on (I should also mention it was free, I am doing a little R&D for Carter rep) my truck woke up!!! I never really knew I was missing any power, because this is my first 6.9 and I had no reference.

I do like having pressure though while the GP's are cycling. Thing hits right off, even in low temps. We had a -6 day here with high wind, started right up but then again, I have no idea how it would have worked with a mechanical cause I never had one.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I do have a mechanical, and my observations are the same as yours. I have started unaided down to -14 F.