? for people who have owned allot of new and old trucks.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I want a truck that will last me a good 10 to 20 years if I take care of it and I will be using it for work. I have owned a few trucks like 10 or so but I know very little, I like Fords the best so far, they just seem to be made all around allot better.

Of all the years trucks going up to like 2003 what was the best of each truck and design. Take like for example I like my 1999 cab design better than my 1994 on the Ford. If you could build the super rig would it be a 1999 style super duty or newer Ford with a Cummins? I do not mind building a truck I just want to build the right one.

I was noticing on Ebay you can get some amazing deals on trucks right now so I may step up and get something nice that is old and low mileage. I would have boughten a newer style truck but the mechanics I talked to said DON'T!!!!!!!!!! They all said get the old 7.3 or Cummins, they said the newer trucks were electronic pieces of chit!!!!!!!

I was open mined about it but they weren't.

If you were going after the best work truck not HP rig what would it be even if you had to build it.

Most of the folks I talked to liked the newer gas better than the new diesel so all comments on both are welcome.

Thanks for the expertise.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to work on this truck yourself, or always hire someone to work on it? If you are going to hire someone, you had better get a newer one that doesn't require any work. ALL the older trucks are going to require constant maintenance, there is always something going wrong somewhere. It usually comes in waves, it will be ok for awhile, and then things will require attention, and then it will be ok for a little while again. Don't think you can get a low mileage early truck and not have to work on it. If it's old,, it will need work, even if it has sat in a garage all it's life. Seals get hard with age, wiring gets old and corroded, etc.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I used to love working on stuff but I am getting lazy, so get a old model with roll up windows. I saw a 1994 F 350 with only 18000 miles on Ebay go for 9 grand, one draw back it had a 460 which I believe is a gas. pig ? I have a good reasonable mechanic.

I will not buy a new truck, can't afford a new one but will spend 10 to 15 grand. I saw a F 350 with 100000 miles on it and a 7.3 that was a 1994 crew cab in great shape sell for 4900 on Ebay so I think now is the time to get a good cheap truck to go a long haul.

I can do some work and I can fix things been doing it for years but I do not like to work on things like I used to. just want something that is not to expensive to fix. I here the new diesels are outrages to fix?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesn't sound like anything 5 years or older is for you friend.id make payments on a new gas truck.
didn't you just pick up a new idi dually? deal fell through? sounds like you may have gotten lucky if that;s the case.i don't think it sounds like it's something you'd want/prepared for (lots of constant work and upkeep.)

Last edited:

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a truck that will last me a good 10 to 20 years if I take care of it and I will be using it for work. I have owned a few trucks like 10 or so but I know very little, I like Fords the best so far, they just seem to be made all around allot better.

Of all the years trucks going up to like 2003 what was the best of each truck and design. Take like for example I like my 1999 cab design better than my 1994 on the Ford. If you could build the super rig would it be a 1999 style super duty or newer Ford with a Cummins? I do not mind building a truck I just want to build the right one.

I was noticing on Ebay you can get some amazing deals on trucks right now so I may step up and get something nice that is old and low mileage. I would have boughten a newer style truck but the mechanics I talked to said DON'T!!!!!!!!!! They all said get the old 7.3 or Cummins, they said the newer trucks were electronic pieces of chit!!!!!!!

I was open mined about it but they weren't.

If you were going after the best work truck not HP rig what would it be even if you had to build it.

Most of the folks I talked to liked the newer gas better than the new diesel so all comments on both are welcome.

Thanks for the expertise.

2002 Chevy/GMC Duramax w/Allison. Good truck, good engine, good transmission, we have a company '01 with 230,*** miles and so far only problem has been cracked fuel line elbow on the filter housing. If you want to stick with Fords the Superduty trucks with 7.3's are awesome you just have to keep in mind that you'll be buying a trans eventually.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I do not care what it is, from what I am hearing here the old trucks with a V 8 and roll up windows are the ones you can fix like nothing and anything newer than like 1980 you better be ready to wrench the electrics. Fair enough.

I hate payments, sleep better at night debt free especially when the illuminated ones are coming for the land here in America. I got a good deal on this truck a 1994 but I want something with a lot less miles and feel the newer cab design is a major step forwards? just curious as to what trucks were really the best and in what way and if you could build the best what would it be? From my reading I would say get a 1999 = thru 2003 Super Duty and throw an old mechanical Cummins in it?

I can get stuff fixed cheap and can fix it myself, I just have so much stuff to wrench I am like where do I start.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was going to build a truck with would be a CCLB Superduty with a DT360 6 spd swapped in. The 5.9 Cummins is a good engine but overrated... Stock vs. stock a Powerstroke is a better engine but if planning to build it a mechanical 5.9 is awesome.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not care what it is, from what I am hearing here the old trucks with a V 8 and roll up windows are the ones you can fix like nothing and anything newer than like 1980 you better be ready to wrench the electrics. Fair enough.

I hate payments, sleep better at night debt free especially when the illuminated ones are coming for the land here in America. I got a good deal on this truck a 1994 but I want something with a lot less miles and feel the newer cab design is a major step forwards? just curious as to what trucks were really the best and in what way and if you could build the best what would it be? From my reading I would say get a 1999 = thru 2003 Super Duty and throw an old mechanical Cummins in it?

I can get stuff fixed cheap and can fix it myself, I just have so much stuff to wrench I am like where do I start.

Electronics are here to stay so better learn how to work on them... Everyone complains about it but to be honest how many people actually have electronic problems? Most stuff is made pretty well these days.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
What is a cclb Super Duty?, so the Super Duty Power stroke are tough to beat with the newer tranny?

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low-ish mile Duramax with an allison. There's an extended cab (maybe 2006-08 or so) for sale here with 140K for 8900 bucks. It pains me to say it, but the dmax is the shizz, and the allison is where the party is at.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say one thing about the pre-80's Fords. The 1971 F250 my dad and I bought as a backup/trash run truck has NEVER left me on the side of the road, and the only thing we've done to it (besides a new seat, some trim) was I rebuilt the carb right after we got it. It certainly doesn't run well, and it's a gas sucker (10 mpg if lucky), but it always runs. The OLD Ford gassers don't seem to give up, at least not the ones we've had. But again, it's a backup truck. It doesn't run beautifully, so it wouldn't be the best for a DD.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Low-ish mile Duramax with an allison. There's an extended cab (maybe 2006-08 or so) for sale here with 140K for 8900 bucks. It pains me to say it, but the dmax is the shizz, and the allison is where the party is at.

The cabs on the Chevy's are designed for a midget. I can't fit in one.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I will say one thing about the pre-80's Fords. The 1971 F250 my dad and I bought as a backup/trash run truck has NEVER left me on the side of the road, and the only thing we've done to it (besides a new seat, some trim) was I rebuilt the carb right after we got it. It certainly doesn't run well, and it's a gas sucker (10 mpg if lucky), but it always runs. The OLD Ford gassers don't seem to give up, at least not the ones we've had. But again, it's a backup truck. It doesn't run beautifully, so it wouldn't be the best for a DD.

The old cabs had a lot more metal in them, simple to fix for sure, ate gas for sure. I like the old stuff but gas mileage is a problem.