? for people who have owned allot of new and old trucks.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
What is a cclb Super Duty?, so the Super Duty Power stroke are tough to beat with the newer tranny?

Is this the case, a 1999-2003 Power stroke with the new tranny is a great truck? is the Super duty made a bit better than the previous Gen? I was told the 2005 and newer with the coil spring front suspension turned a lot tighter? Just trying to learn about trucks.

Everybody loves my new truck better than my old F150. So I am Happy with my purchase but at 220000 miles it has been around the block.

Leftyizme

Reaction score
I've owned a '76 F-150 that had a 390 4bbl in it in place of it's original 360. That truck was indestructible. The engine made plenty of power, but not enough to break the trans, axles, or itself. Gas milage was 7-8mpg whether towing or empty.. didn't seem to affect it either way one bit.
Had an '83 C-10 that I built a 383 stroker for. Great truck... again, gas milage was in the 12-13mpg range though.

Current truck is a '94 F-350 Crew cab dually with the IDI Turbo Diesel, E40D, and power everything. It gets around 17-20mpg hwy when not towing.. Got it this past summer, but so far I love it. The IDI is a non-computer controlled engine, and very simple to work on. Parts are also a fraction of what the same part for a PowerStroke would be. The downside is, there are very few performance upgrades available. And, even if you did spend $5 grand on a performance turbo, intercooler, exhaust, IP pump, and performance injectors... you still won't make as much power as a bone-stock '94.5-'97 Powerstroke equipped truck in the exact same bodystyle... that'd had a $250 performance chip tossed into it. If a stock or very mildly hopped up truck is what you want.. the IDI are excellent engines. If your wanting to haul *** though, buy a PowerStroke.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The facts as I know them. You are in this forum, so any truck with a idi is going to need work, unless you find the rare one that has been redone.

If it had the E4OD, it's going to need rebuilt, but so many of them fouled up you might get one that has been rebuilt already, cross your fingers that it was updated at the same time.

Most of these trucks have the ttb frontend. Most people do not like them because they buy it after it's already wore out. Frontend work on these trucks is expensive, and most will be worn out when you buy one.

If you are getting one with a zf, more than likely if the clutch hasn't been replaced and a conversion kit installed, you are looking at a expensive clutch job, since the DMF is certainly wore out by now.

These radiators are getting old, most of them are clogged or so thin they are ready to leak. There are a lot of threads on here about what radiator works best, and how to deal with the clutch on the fan. Because most are worn out by now.

Have the o-rings and lines been replaced on the fuel system? Another job that needs to be done.

You live in Florida, so you might be able to find a truck that is not rusted up too bad, I don't know. I do know if you get one, you might have a hard time finding used parts. When I was on vacation down there and had a injector line crack, finding a junkyard with a idi diesel was almost impossible. I went to every junkyard in Pensacola and after one yard would send me to another, and that yard would send me to another, I finally found 1 that had a 6.9 laying in the engine shed.

Yes these trucks are simple, they are pretty much the latest truck you can buy that have no emissions on them, but they are getting old and are going to require some work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the last few years it has gotten to the point where if you are going to own a non-computerized truck, you better be prepared to be able to work on it, or know a mechanic who does and make sure you don't **** him or her off so you become blacklisted. I work on the IDI for a living, as well as doing other things, and I choose my customers carefully. I'll work on your stuff a couple of times, but if you are a whiny slow pay customer, I don't have time for you. There's plenty of shops that will butcher up one of these motors and we have plenty of horror stories to go around. Look at yourself in the mirror, you are not going to have it both ways. If you don't like turning your own wrench, a IDI is not a truck for you even though you don't like payments. You owe it to yourself to get a '99 to '03 Super Duty and find a good shop that can get along with you. Listen to their suggestions carefully and pay them promptly when the job is done. Sleep well at nite.
good luck.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The facts as I know them. You are in this forum, so any truck with a idi is going to need work, unless you find the rare one that has been redone.

If it had the E4OD, it's going to need rebuilt, but so many of them fouled up you might get one that has been rebuilt already, cross your fingers that it was updated at the same time.

Most of these trucks have the ttb frontend. Most people do not like them because they buy it after it's already wore out. Frontend work on these trucks is expensive, and most will be worn out when you buy one.

If you are getting one with a zf, more than likely if the clutch hasn't been replaced and a conversion kit installed, you are looking at a expensive clutch job, since the DMF is certainly wore out by now.

These radiators are getting old, most of them are clogged or so thin they are ready to leak. There are a lot of threads on here about what radiator works best, and how to deal with the clutch on the fan. Because most are worn out by now.

Have the o-rings and lines been replaced on the fuel system? Another job that needs to be done.

You live in Florida, so you might be able to find a truck that is not rusted up too bad, I don't know. I do know if you get one, you might have a hard time finding used parts. When I was on vacation down there and had a injector line crack, finding a junkyard with a idi diesel was almost impossible. I went to every junkyard in Pensacola and after one yard would send me to another, and that yard would send me to another, I finally found 1 that had a 6.9 laying in the engine shed.

Yes these trucks are simple, they are pretty much the latest truck you can buy that have no emissions on them, but they are getting old and are going to require some work.

I had my truck on the rack at the shop and they said it was all tight and good, somebody took good care of it which doesn't surprise me.Here where I am in the Ocala area of Fl which is farm country, good used trucks are cheap for now but that will not last. HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF NEW TRUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned 2 1996 PSD's and sold them both because os the single cab(take your coat off and your out of room)I was getting around 16-17 mpg.I have only owned 1 7.3 idi so far(2 months in now) and love it.I always liked the rattle and smoothness and economy of idi's.Have had a slew of 6.2/6.5 trucks and had really good luck with them.I know this is going to start a mpg war..but I saw 21.88 mpg on my last tank(100% highway,65mph and a light foot)Only other diesel truck Ive owned that would do that mpg(and have power) was a 2nd gen Dodge 5.9 that would fall apart driving down the road.I was getting the sweeper at the carwash plugged up with parts of the dash(really) I bought my 7.3 as a winter beater to save my 04 Ram 3500 4dr dually 4wd from salt this winter.Since the Ford showed up here..it hasnt moved...even in nice weather.We have a fleet of PSD's at work(97-2000) and have been very good and reliable.Just throw a spare crank sensor in the glove comp and go.All have well over 350k miles and doing well.As far as the Cummins being over rated(prev post) they are quite frankly the most efficient powerfull and reliable engine of any fuel type I have owned.This commonrail laughed at over 15 6x6 duece and a halfs strung all over the country..bringing them home thru flatlands and mountains and getting 7- 9mpg towing 13,800 lbs plus trailer.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and my Cummins has 450,000 miles on the orig engine,transmission and 11k hours now.Had to do injectors @ 395K.1 bad one.Did all 6.Cost more than the truck I am driving now.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I just started a new job with a contractor that uses the shot out of their trucks towing tag and gooseneck trailers. I would LOVE to sub out my IDI to them and agree on a mileage reimbursement, like 50 cents per mile or so. I would be throwing my truck in the mix with d-max, Cummins and psd's. My 91 crew cab long bed is hard to explain, I am comfortable and just become one with it when I'm behind the wheel. The servicable wheel bearings and king pin front D60 just seem to be better than the ball joints and unit bearings that are in every post 97 truck. These guys run 80mph with a 7000lb box trailer and I know I could never keep up but that wouldn't bother me. I know my truck would run with anything they have reliability wise but conclude on my own that its just plain outdated. That being said, I am BEGGING for a crew cab dually 4x4 from '99-'02 with the 7.3PSD, we will see what happens.

If I could spec a truck, I would build a brick nose crew cab, 8' bed, 4x4. I would put a 99-04 E450 dually rear in it, hydroboost, DT360 turned up to about 450hp and an Eaton/Fuller 10 speed. I forget the model but there is one with a 0.50 overdrive which would go good with 4:10 gears.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
You guy's are serious about your trucks. What is a brick nose. Go on North FL or Ocala or Gainesville Craigs list or Ocala for sale.
In my area a lot of good deals on trucks and like I said alot are owned by farm types who really take care of them. I noticed in Texas awesome deals and was really blown away by some Ebay deals I saw in LA. Of all places I was shocked by that.

You can go on Ebay and pull up completed listings for California in La area and look at what a few f350 sold for. There was a 1991 I believe with like 60000 miles on it with a 460 CC nice truck sold for 1800 $. I could not believe it and I saw a loaded 1994 350 7.3 like almost mint with 105000 sell for 4500. There are some really good deals out there if you have cash.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SLANT nose or BULL nose 80 - 86

BRICK nose 87-91

OBS or Old Body Style 92-97

And yes, we are extremely serious about our trucks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online