Finally towed a real load

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for about 9 months now, and finally got a chance to tow a good load this past weekend. Only have hauled about 3500 lbs previously. A buddy of mine needed me to do some tube work and welding for his front bumper on his '97 Ranger crawler, but hasn't registered it yet so it had to be trailered. Weighs approximately 5000 lbs, and trailer is right about 2000 lbs. I've been happy with the way my gearing is with 3.55s and 35" tires with the lack of overdrive in the T-19, but that's when I'm basically unloaded. And it's decent hauling a smaller load. But after this one, I think I'll be leaning towards 4.10s whenever I get around to doing a D60 swap. This was, however, in the mountains at about 6000 feet elevation, going up decent grades and a few steep streets.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I bet it did pretty good with that. 4.10's with the 35" tire I bet would be awesome. Clean looking truck.

So what tube bender do you have?

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD Squared bender set up with air over hydraulic ram.
The ranger isn't a diesel. He added the stack to compliment the snorkel.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what kind of temps you were seeing while towing that? Just curious how the radiator did...

Mike

That radiator kicks ass! I saw no more than 210° on the longest steepest stretch. I got it to touch 220° for a moment on Friday while driving up the mountain. Air temp was 88° at the bottom, about 70° when I got up. I had the air conditioning blasting, so that's the only reason it got that warm. Grades differ, but basically a 4000 foot gain in elevation in 10 miles.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the props! The Ranger is cleaner than my truck though haha. He waxed and polished it the night before, because he wanted it to shine on its first voyage beyond the garage door LOL plus he has put a ton of attention to detail during his build.
My truck is definitely looking much better than it did when I got it. She's getting there. I try to accomplish at least one thing on it each day. Yesterday I replaced the reverse light switch, so I finally have those working. Today, I got K&N to replace the air filter for my ATS system under warranty. And wow, they really do honor their 1,000,000 mile warranty no problem! Even shipped it 1-Day! Thought I was going to have a problem not being the original purchaser, no receipt, and it's not on the vehicle it was designed for. But Nope! Pretty stoked on that.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that that ranger would weight 5k lbs. I would expect it to be much lighter than that.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that that ranger would weight 5k lbs. I would expect it to be much lighter than that.

It's on 1 ton axles and 38" Super Swampers, along with a plethora of accessories. He said the stock weight was about 3900 lbs. so 5000 lbs is a close estimate until he gets it on a scale. But for example, think about how much heavier a pair of 1 ton axles are vs. the stock 7.5" rear and TTB front. I believe he said it was about a 600 Lb increase there.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on 1 ton axles and 38" Super Swampers, along with a plethora of accessories. He said the stock weight was about 3900 lbs. so 5000 lbs is a close estimate until he gets it on a scale. But for example, think about how much heavier a pair of 1 ton axles are vs. the stock 7.5" rear and TTB front. I believe he said it was about a 600 Lb increase there.

Just for my own curiosity, I looked up the weight on that generation ranger, and stock is 3k lbs. His trucks looks like a fun toy.