Filtration Solution oil sample report

robertleo

Reaction score
This is my first post on this site.I have an 89 f-250 with a DAS motor with about 100000 miles, run good.I got my oil sample back and there was some small traces of coolant in the oil,also the lead content was high.Was told to change the oil and send in another sample in 1000 miles.I have been having to add coolant kinda regular(Evans Coolant)about a quart every month or two.Just looking for some advice and a possible solution,hope its not a head gasket.....thanks Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is my first post on this site.I have an 89 f-250 with a DAS motor with about 100000 miles, run good.I got my oil sample back and there was some small traces of coolant in the oil,also the lead content was high.Was told to change the oil and send in another sample in 1000 miles.I have been having to add coolant kinda regular(Evans Coolant)about a quart every month or two.Just looking for some advice and a possible solution,hope its not a head gasket.....thanks Robert

Howdy neighbor and welcome to OB. i'd be inclined to think oil cooler orings but best way to tell would be to get a combustion gas leak test kit, about $50 at napa, about $70 at snap on for a better 2 chamber kit. You put a blue dye in a plastic tube and hold it over the radiator opening after it gets up to operating temp and pump air through it for a few minutes, if it changes to a yellow green, then the source of fluid crossing is at the head gasket aas that would indicate combustion gasses present in the cooling system, if it remains blue then that would indicate another source for your fluids crossing and the oil cooler orings would be the likely source in that case

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an 89', then we will assume you have a 7.3. I'd be looking for bubbles in the coolant, and I would be suspicious of either cavitation or a bad head gasket. It would be nice if it was the oil cooler, but in operation oil presure is higher than coolant presure, and usually if there is a fluid interchange, it is oil in the coolant, and not coolant in the oil. That's not to say that it isn't possible that coolant couldn't be getting into your oil on shut down through the oil cooler, but if it is cavitation the same could be said, all depending on where the pin hole is, and where the piston lands. I suppose if I were in your shoes, I would rebuild the oil cooler, and keep my fingers crossed. It is definitely the easier, less expensive thing to try first.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm with all the above postings too.... The oil cooler is the cheapest item to look into but not the easiest to fix. Before you try to remove it and replace the o-rings do some reading here on the how to do it. You may just have a small leak at a hose clamp too but that wont tell you why its getting into the oil. When you or someone else did this rebuild and install did the top and bottom bolts for the water pump get any thread sealant applied to them??? The reach into the oil side of the timing gears and oil will leak out of them so coolant can leak back the same way.

robertleo

Reaction score
Thanks for the responces,the motor is a DAS all cylinders are sleaved so I dont think I have cavatation.I did replace the water pump once,and I did dope the bolts.I ordered a gas combustion test kit,will post back.....thanks Robert