Few questions about my truck

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, have have a few questions about my truck for you guys.

1. I am in the process of wiring a 7 pin trailer connector to my truck, i used a t-connector but I still need 12v is there a 12v positive wire that i can use at the back of the truck for my "charge" wire or do I have to run one? And I know there is a factory brake controller wire at the back of the truck but i cant find it. Where is it?

2. What is the best fuel filter for my truck, Baldwin BF-1222SP or Wix 33617?

3. Where is the reverse light actuator thingy on the ZF-5 trans? Mine does not work and I need them for the trailer connector. At first i thought it was just my bulbs but they don't work on the trailer either.

Thanks, 86SCLB

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Some trucks had the trailer wiring, but it's taped up in the harness. If you did not have the trailer tow option, you may just have the wires, and they will not be connected up front. So you can try and unwrap the harness back there to look for the wires, or you can just run your own. I would run a blue wire for the brakes, and it needs to run inside to the brake controller output.

For the battery power wire, I would run whatever color you want, and run it up under the hood to a bosch type relay. I would then run from the relay to a circuit breaker and then one of the battery + posts. You could then find one of the red/green wires under the hood and tie the coil of the relay to that. Then you will only have power to the trailer when the engine is running/key is on.

Your other option if you have a battery on your trailer, is to install a isolator under the hood and hook it to a wire that you can run to the rear. This will let the truck's alternator charge the trailer battery when it's running, and then not let the trailer battery discharge the truck's batteries when the engine is off.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will probably just run a power wire and brake wire so I know they will work. The red/green wire is switched power in these trucks?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will probably just run a power wire and brake wire so I know they will work. The red/green wire is switched power in these trucks?

Yes. It feeds the injection pump and several other things under the hood. If you happen to have your wiring over on the pass side under the hood, the brake warning switch is a good place to tap onto it. It will be a diaphragm type switch with a vacuum line running to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk