Favorite mechanical lift pump brand?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Did you know you can roll-start even in reverse? Makes sense but most people don't think of it.
Yep. I did this a couple of years ago when I parked on the street with my slide in camper in and my pickup bed trailer with three three wheelers inside on the back. My starter chose that particular time to go out. Had to innovate!

Zephyr

Reaction score
I would be interested. The beauty of these trucks is the ability to run with limited electrical assistance and could actually run with no electrical assistance beyond a starter and glow plugs.

That's another reason to run an IDI. When the big EMP hits, we can still (theoretically) go fishing.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the idi community be interested in a modified “hot rod” version of the mechanical lift pump if I put one out there? Personally I prefer the benefits of going all electric but I know there’s plenty of guys who would rather keep their truck all mechanical.
I started to play with this idea, Ford mechanical pumps are very similar except for the arm. I think carter 302 street pump with the correct arm for an idi would be the ticket.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started to play with this idea, Ford mechanical pumps are very similar except for the arm. I think carter 302 street pump with the correct arm for an idi would be the ticket.
That would definitely be one way, I was thinking more along the lines of increasing the physical displacement of the diaphragm pump

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

i never followed through but wanted to take a serious look at a cummins lift pump. maybe if the arm could be make to work we could move past the diaphragm issue and get a piston lift pump.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the belt driven mechanical lift pumps that PDD has made for the 12v, something like that would be overkill on an idi but would deliver all the fuel needed without worries

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this idea...
Back when, our unit commander used to say something like'
if you don't have the parts, steal em...
Read to say
Make something work.
A hi flow pump head and or long stroke arm or a combination to achieve our goal.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if we wanted to be really primitive we could crank it by hand like old Henry Ford and start a small fire under the oil pan to warm her up. lol

I have a propane weed burner for the fire, and a couple two foot lengths of 6" stove pipe to carry the heat under the engine. My old beaters leak too much oil to build a fire directly underneath. It's important to have a plan B for when the power goes out. I still haven't mounted a hand crank though. That will have to wait until I have a compression release.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were serious about eliminating electric start, I'd look for an old cat pony motor and some way to mount it. Those pony motor diesels were sure to start, if you could get the pony motor going. I think they had magneto ignition, so no battery needed.

A friend showed me a modification he made to one of his IDIs. He had two chunks of heater hose sticking out the grill with quick disconnects on their ends. He would hook them onto matching disconnects he had added to his log skidder, and the IDI water pump would circulate hot coolant through the loader block. He said that it would heat up the skidder engine and have it ready to start in about 10 minutes.

On the IDI he hooked one line up on the suction side of the water pump, and the other line up to the back of the drivers side head. I'm not sure where he hooked the lines on the skidder.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Air starter off of a mechanical air pump. No electrical needed, all pneumatic. It would spin it over so fast you wouldn’t need heat

we have air starters on the generators that power our planes at work. they are cool but if you dont get them started fairly quickly you can run out of air very soon. you might get 20 maybe 30 seconds of cranking before you are done. fine for when every thing is working right but if you hit a snag it is not much room for error.

that would be hell refilling the tanks with a bike pump if you were in a SHTF situation LOL

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So another big thanks to @YJMike92 for the Ford part number! I got the lift pump last weekend and installed it *before* my Facet. I was wrong earlier when I said it was on the frame rail below my seat...I had meant to move it there but didn't actually do it yet. It's actually on the frame rail next to the stock lift pump.

I ordered from Ebay, seller is sunrisefordparts and search E3TZ-9350-B.

You must be registered for see images attach

BTW this output fitting is ALL KINDS OF DUMB and non standard. What a pain to convert it to something normal. Obviously I dont have the OEM hookup anymore.

I essentially hooked up the two pumps in parallel. For those in my position, make sure to include a check valve after the outlet of the lift pump but before the Tee into the outlet of the Facet. When I first tried to bleed the air the facet was just full of air and not getting better. Turns out it was drawing fuel from itself because I failed to add the check valve at first... just looped the fuel.

5.5psi at all times except under WOT and then it drops to maybe 4.5 at the lowest. Even more than the PSI I'm terribly satisfied with the difference it's made in drivability. Low end torque it way up and starting in 2nd gear isnt annoying anymore. Less black smoke in low RPMs too.
I haven't pulled my trailer yet or finished a tank for MPGs-- but I'm very happy with it so far. I didnt even change the timing, I'll check it soon.

Also, reading the Facet website it specifically says not to draw or push fuel through these pumps, so that's why I didnt just hook up LP outlet to Facet inlet.
Joshua

Last edited: