fan clutch.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone experience a fan clutch that is not locked when idling? Such as they do in big rigs ans whatnot; the fans just kinda sit there or turn very slowly like the clutch is FULLY disingaged. When our clutches are unlocked, how fast do they turn?

Kevin, I did some testing about a year ago. Here's some notes I wrote down:

The temperature measured below was from between the radiator and fan using a digital thermometer. RPM was measured with a optical tach. Ambient for both tests was ~67 F.

Ford-Eaton (22 years young):
Full engaged 180 F air with 1550 RPM @ pump and 1505 RPM @ fan
Full disengaged ~115 F air with 1600 RPM @ pump and 405 RPM @ fan
Note that disengagement temp was significantly lower then the newer model. It may actually have a slower reaction time and some delay.

4 Seasons 36963 (the $53 special)
Full engaged 177 F air with 1590 RPM @ pump and 1535 RPM @ fan
Full disengaged 145 F air with 1710 RPM @ pump and 415 RPM @ fan

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As RLDSL mentioned, Hayden clutches are crap. But really, what other options do we have other than FoMoCo stuff or electric?

I hate electric myself, the reason I drive old diesels is to have fewer electronics to go wrong so I will never put an electric fan on mine.

Does anyone experience a fan clutch that is not locked when idling? Such as they do in big rigs ans whatnot; the fans just kinda sit there or turn very slowly like the clutch is FULLY disingaged. When our clutches are unlocked, how fast do they turn?

Kevin id suggest you research the failure rates for:
a) idi fan clutches.
b) ford windstar/taurus e-fans.

id think all would become clear of the winner of that debate real quick in your search.;)

as for replacement;
for easier and cheaper should one of the motors fail as well.
$30 used on ebay and the time to swap; if i were to race you,i could have one swapped out before you removed your stock shroud and even found your fan replacement tool.you wouldn't even have a chance to brake that nut free,and id be rapping up and closing the hood.;)

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yea i did the electric fan setup on my 94. I did it as a package with aluminum radiator, dual fans, wiring for them and switches I was right under $350 not including the CAT ELC

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K., When our clutch on our fan :puke:, I drilled a hole as close to center spring as I could, put a grease fitting in and pumped it full of grease. Doesn't lock the fan up, but still works as it should...most of the clutches I've had to replace had just lost the oil in them so I just replaced it with grease...and it works fine...;Sweet . cost 2.00 an 20min

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K., When our clutch on our fan :puke:, I drilled a hole as close to center spring as I could, put a grease fitting in and pumped it full of grease. Doesn't lock the fan up, but still works as it should...most of the clutches I've had to replace had just lost the oil in them so I just replaced it with grease...and it works fine...;Sweet . cost 2.00 an 20min

That's the first time I have seen that idea.

There ain't no way that I am gonna put a :puke: clutch-fan back on any of my trucks, but I am curious enough to give that grease trick a test on some of these dead clutches around here. ;Sweet

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'v run a clutch like that for 2 years on a gasser had no truble. if it frees up just ad grease. if you have a junk one give a try im running one now;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Neat idea ;Sweet

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a good idea, i'll have to try that..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Kevin, I did some testing about a year ago. Here's some notes I wrote down:

The temperature measured below was from between the radiator and fan using a digital thermometer. RPM was measured with a optical tach. Ambient for both tests was ~67 F.

Ford-Eaton (22 years young):
Full engaged 180 F air with 1550 RPM @ pump and 1505 RPM @ fan
Full disengaged ~115 F air with 1600 RPM @ pump and 405 RPM @ fan
Note that disengagement temp was significantly lower then the newer model. It may actually have a slower reaction time and some delay.

4 Seasons 36963 (the $53 special)
Full engaged 177 F air with 1590 RPM @ pump and 1535 RPM @ fan
Full disengaged 145 F air with 1710 RPM @ pump and 415 RPM @ fan

Nice test, of course, the air temo across the fins is not the full temp of teh coolant inside for those wondering as the air passing across will not remove all of teh heat inside, but that does tall you how much that it does remove if you know what the coolant temp was in the engine at the time.

The figures for the 4 seasons fan clutch would transpose to a Hayden or the other fan clutch on the market that is available currently as they are all made by hayden.
Well, I must correct myself, Sachs has finally straightened out their online catalog to where it actually works for models on this side of the Atlantic to some extent and it appears that they make a fan clutch for the IDI as well, Sachs/ZF part number 2100 061 031 , At least they list it for the 6.9 in the F and E series , I think the 7.3 has the same mount setup. Sachs /ZF would be a dang site better quality than hayden. The tricky part would most likely be finding one ( so far, I've found a place in the Ukraine that has them, and another in Poland... I kind of think it might be a special order LOL

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Kevin id suggest you research the failure rates for:
a) idi fan clutches.
b) ford windstar/taurus e-fans.

id think all would become clear of the winner of that debate real quick in your search.;)

as for replacement;
for easier and cheaper should one of the motors fail as well.
$30 used on ebay and the time to swap; if i were to race you,i could have one swapped out before you removed your stock shroud and even found your fan replacement tool.you wouldn't even have a chance to brake that nut free,and id be rapping up and closing the hood.;)

No need to remove the shroud to get the stock fan out, it does not even get in the way really.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished going camping and i don't know if the gauge I bought is no good or not but all the sudden the water temp was at 250 :| . With only 4k of load. Over the winter I am going to invest in some autometer gauges and a fan clutch. Maybe a tstat while I am at it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished going camping and i don't know if the gauge I bought is no good or not but all the sudden the water temp was at 250 :| . With only 4k of load. Over the winter I am going to invest in some autometer gauges and a fan clutch. Maybe a tstat while I am at it.

You don't have to entirely remove the gauge from the truck; but, put the business end of the gauge in question into a pot of water, either on a camp-stove or just heat it --- the water --- not the gauge --- with a propane torch.

As the water begins to boil, the gauge should read pretty close to 212*

Most decent mechanical temperature gauges are fairly accurate.

I like Borg-Warner, Stewart-Warner, and Sun-Pro; I am not a big Autometer fan = too much :puke: plastic to suit me.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Alot of people I talk to dont like Autometer gauges but they work fine for me and there prett cheap. Also I owned my truck for 2yrs and the fan never kicked on once. I hauled several heavy loads of wood on 100 mile runs and it never clicked on. The truck never got hot either. I highest I ever saw the temp was 210 when i changed my block heater and forgot to turn the petc09k all the way back in. I have also heard that a electirc fan wont move enough air to keep these engines cool. Then lots of others talk about the conversion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.