fan clutch.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I have has some bad experiences with flex fans(the aluminum blade ones) I wanted to try one on my truck, but I could not seem to find one large enough. The largest I could find was 19 inches in diameter, and I believe our fans are at least 23 inches in diameter.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up here in bc we havent been seeing the hottest of weather. so i have been unable to do a real test since i installed my real temp gauge. but it has gotten up to 210-215 a few times and stayed pretty steady with outside temps at 90-95. and what would the electric fan conversion cost usually?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I bought two new Hayden clutches in the last few years for two different 7.3's and I have NEVER heard them lock or un-lock at any time. No matter how hard im working the engines. When I start the engines cold, the fan is spinning fast and always seems the same at idle, hot or cold. don't know what its doing as im driving down the road however.

I have a sneaky suspision that my new clutches were not working as they should. I think they are always locked. My current daily driver is one one of the trucks that I mentioned.

I also have never had a fan unscrew it self...they always seem tighter than hell after just a few minutes of running like MIDNIGHT RIDER said.

There's probably a reason for that.. Hayden fan clutches are crap.. and it's basically impossible to purchase a replacement fan clutch these days that is not made by Hayden, as 4 seasons and the Other company making them for the aftermarket are also branches of Hayden, the only other option is the dealer. And after my last experience in purchasing a fan clutch from Ms Tech ( which is nothing more than a new Ford fan clutch that they modify ) that crapped out on me in short order, I don't hold a lot of faith in those anymore either. If staying with a clutch , folks woulf probably be smart to switch to a IH water pump and fan clutch , those clutches are REALLY stout.

Personally, I'm only a few days away from finishing my custom e fan setup that should eliminate all the past problems. It's been a LOT of work, but it should be worth it.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up here in bc we havent been seeing the hottest of weather. so i have been unable to do a real test since i installed my real temp gauge. but it has gotten up to 210-215 a few times and stayed pretty steady with outside temps at 90-95. and what would the electric fan conversion cost usually?

Rob, it doesn't need to be a hot day to do the test I wrote in the previous post. I've done it many times, 70F ambient is enough. With the truck standing still and the RPM's raised to 2000 the thermostat will eventually open wide and the hot air off the radiator should engage the clutch. Note that the clutch won't engage if something prevents hot air from reaching the sensing element (clogged rad, blocked fins, bad t-stat, etc.).

I've a 23 year old original Ford one that works, and a 4-Seasons bought on a closeout sale that works fine too. It looks to me like Ford staged the fan to engage when the thermostat is near full open at 212F. Perhaps you can give the test a try and let us know how it works out.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm only a few days away from finishing my custom e fan setup that should eliminate all the past problems. It's been a LOT of work, but it should be worth it.

Everyone reading that? It is a lot of work if you do it right, larger alternator and everything else that goes along with it.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
My new fan clutch is ALWAYS locked in when the engine is cold, and almost never unlocks before the engine reaches operating temp*

or have been cruising at a steady speed for a couple good miles.

I have a 180* IH thermostat and cruising the highway (flat ground) 85-90* air temp, the real gauge reads around 185-190* but if it starts going over 190* pulling a hill or it's simply really hot outside the fan clutch very often locks in as low as 190*, and doesn't unlock untill it goes down 180* again.

Climbing the rockies at 9000+ft. Elevations, or some hills in the desert in 110*+ weather, that gauge never went over 210*!

I love it, very reliable! So far.... 2 years now.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Hayden in mine and its working fine so far(i mean it locks and unlocks). I am thinking of putting my old one back in though, I hate the HP loss.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Everyone reading that? It is a lot of work if you do it right, larger alternator and everything else that goes along with it.

Speaking of which, I just got the fan assembly finished here Still need to install it, but I've already got probably $800 invested in this and more hours than I can count, but it should be worth it in the long run. I paid around $385 for the blamed MS tech fan clutch shipped and for as short a lifespan as that thing had , I'm still walking sideways off that deal.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two new Hayden clutches in the last few years for two different 7.3's and I have NEVER heard them lock or un-lock at any time. No matter how hard im working the engines. When I start the engines cold, the fan is spinning fast and always seems the same at idle, hot or cold. don't know what its doing as im driving down the road however.

I have a sneaky suspision that my new clutches were not working as they should. I think they are always locked. My current daily driver is one one of the trucks that I mentioned.

I also have never had a fan unscrew it self...they always seem tighter than hell after just a few minutes of running like MIDNIGHT RIDER said.

I went out of my way and ordered a Hayden "Heavy Duty" fan clutch for my gas burner thinking it would be a good choice because my old clutch never gained resistance when it heated up. The Hayden ended up slipping more than my original one that had all the fluid drained out. When the engine got warm it didn't get any closer to lock up.

The best part is that after replacing the thermostat twice, ordering the Hayden, and then locking up the old fan clutch with a screw I found out that the only thing hot about the engine was the factory guage.

I'm currently using a locked up clutch and I have not noticed any decrease in power or fuel economy. I want to go back to a good one, but don't want to spend more money on a junk clutch.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you know what they say; if it was easy,everyone would do it.:D
lol.depending on how you do it,it's not that bad.
i followed the tech article here,but i didn't frig with my stock shroud.i bolted the whole unit to my rad and called it a day.
keeping me cool ever since.
recently i installed a nice variable rate controller,and i can adjust the temps from the cab.
iv got an indicator light that chances color as it draws more/speeds up the fans and a dial to adjust them.these are mounted on my gauge pillar pod beside the temp gauge.
pretty dang slick.
the total cost was around $300-350 of which iv been gaining back in fuel.;)

today's fuel record fueling up with the dually dump weighing in at 8100 lbs empty: 16.97 MPG.;)
(but e-fans are not responsible for most of that lol.it's all in aero mods mostly.)

the whole ordeal difficulty rating 1-10

ball joint replacement = 10

e-fan conversion = 1.5 (with another guy to hold the thing so you can mark/drill/bolt/screw.) maybe,and i say a big maybe, it might be a 2. but since its an enjoyable and clean mod to do,i want to give it a 1 really.
it's not hard work.

I put a Hayden in mine and its working fine so far(i mean it locks and unlocks). I am thinking of putting my old one back in though, I hate the HP loss.

i don't hear,nor feel when my electrics kick on.
i had to install an indicator light to know what was going on.:)

Last edited:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
My locked fan has came off once. I shut the truck off, just opened the door and Bang. Then came the steaming river of green flowing from underneath the truck. I ended up getting an Aluminum radiator and using blue lock-rite on the fan threads, been good since.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't hear,nor feel when my electrics kick on.
i had to install an indicator light to know what was going on.:)

Ya, rub it in. I want electric fans, just not the top of my list.

My locked fan has came off once. I shut the truck off, just opened the door and Bang. Then came the steaming river of green flowing from underneath the truck. I ended up getting an Aluminum radiator and using blue lock-rite on the fan threads, been good since.

Sounds like it wasn't tightened enough, tighten it with a air hammer and it won't come off.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
It's tight now LOL I used an 18" skinny crescent with a 4' cheater bar to tighten it down. There was some anger involved too. Just hope I can get it back off some day :)

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tight now LOL I used an 18" skinny crescent with a 4' cheater bar to tighten it down. There was some anger involved too. Just hope I can get it back off some day :)

That's my kind of anger management, Brian ;Sweet Anger can be a healthy motivation.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
As RLDSL mentioned, Hayden clutches are crap. But really, what other options do we have other than FoMoCo stuff or electric?

I hate electric myself, the reason I drive old diesels is to have fewer electronics to go wrong so I will never put an electric fan on mine.

Does anyone experience a fan clutch that is not locked when idling? Such as they do in big rigs ans whatnot; the fans just kinda sit there or turn very slowly like the clutch is FULLY disingaged. When our clutches are unlocked, how fast do they turn?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828