F350 DRW CC 2wd to 4WD conversion help

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 is a good transmission if it isn't abused. I'd much rather have a ZF5 than an E4OD. I'd pick that ZF 10/10 times over the E4OD........... hands down, especially for towing/hauling.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I agree with both Franklin and Heath...I know you want to keep the E4OD, but unless you've already had it rebuilt to bulletproof standards (i.e. considerably more than a stock rebuild), or unless you have difficulties with a manual transmission, you'd be best off with the ZF5. When you say that you've read about problems with them, may I ask what problems you're referring to? I've been running a ZF in my truck for almost 7 1/2 years now (originally had a T-19) and have had no problems whatsoever with it. Yes, the T-19 is more stout, but IMHO the overdrive gear is a worthy trade-off, and it's not like the ZF is about to fall apart. For that matter, I would argue that the ZF is exponentially more stout than a stock E4OD...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The ZF is only a little better than a stock E4OD.

Once the E4 is built right. E4 hands down will take more punishment. The catch is it has to be built right. Not just frictions and a shift kit.

I will say a ZF will make some cool sounds when they break.:D Unlike the E4 "why did it stop" action.:rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZF is only a little better than a stock E4OD.
With all due respect, care to elaborate?

The only ZF's I've seen fail were on high-mileage service trucks, and even then they didn't go quickly...what are the weak points that you've seen so many failures on?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Push a ZF hard. The little stuff. Broken shifters. Rule of thumb Don't force it into gear. :rotflmao

The syncros. They make some interesting sounds when speed shifting.:eek:

Best one we had. Something broke while towing a hefty trailer. We never opened that sucker up. All I know is the driver hit second gear. Then a nice sharp crack followed by what sounded like a bomb going off. LOL

Best one came from a good friend. he ended up dragging home a 99 450 roll back with load. Broken pilot shaft. Can't blame the transmission on this.
New driver panicked on a hill, side stepped the clutch.cookoo

Titojeep

Reaction score
The jury is still out on what I'm going to do. A good friend who has an IDI that he changed from extended cab to crew cab is coming over on Thurs to take a look at my project and provide some guidance. Now my issue is, do I move my cab, bed, front end, motor, and rear axle over to the donar truck frame and use the existing ZF, Xfer, and drive shafts, or do I modify mine to add the front axle from the doner, x fer case and drive shafts? Or, do I put the interior back together on the doner, move my bed, motor, and front clip.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jury is still out on what I'm going to do. A good friend who has an IDI that he changed from extended cab to crew cab is coming over on Thurs to take a look at my project and provide some guidance. Now my issue is, do I move my cab, bed, front end, motor, and rear axle over to the donar truck frame and use the existing ZF, Xfer, and drive shafts, or do I modify mine to add the front axle from the doner, x fer case and drive shafts? Or, do I put the interior back together on the doner, move my bed, motor, and front clip.

That's up to you and if you are capable or want to do the work of modifying the front of the 2wd frame to accept the 4wd components. Using the 4x4 frame and swapping bodies would make it completely a bolt in, but will have to swap engines too correct?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Push a ZF hard. The little stuff. Broken shifters. Rule of thumb Don't force it into gear. :rotflmao

The syncros. They make some interesting sounds when speed shifting.:eek:

Best one we had. Something broke while towing a hefty trailer. We never opened that sucker up. All I know is the driver hit second gear. Then a nice sharp crack followed by what sounded like a bomb going off. LOL

Best one came from a good friend. he ended up dragging home a 99 450 roll back with load. Broken pilot shaft. Can't blame the transmission on this.
New driver panicked on a hill, side stepped the clutch.cookoo
Given that sort of use....yeah, I could see any transmission having a shorter lifespan :shocked:

IMHO it'll be easier to swap the body parts over to the 4x4 chassis than it will be to graft the axle to your 2WD chassis. Depending on what shape the sheet metal's in, you'll probably be ahead just transferring the entire body over, but which cab/interior you want to use is really a matter of personal preference IMHO...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7