F350 DRW CC 2wd to 4WD conversion help

Titojeep

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped in the past. I've been off the forum for a while dealing with life and work. I'm back on my feet and back to having fun again.

Question: I have a 93 F350 DRW CC 2 WD with a E40D tranny. I have a donor 92 F350 5 speed ZF5 S42 tranny, 4X4 with the DRW spacer set up on the axles. After having read a few articles on the internet, I can't find any write up's on this forum? Can someone chime in with the exact thread name? If not, then my general questions are as follows:

1. Can I use the X fer case from the donor truck with my E40D? Is it a matter of tail shaft removal and using the drive shaft from the donor truck?
2. The frame is different up front where the spring mounts. What are my options?
3. I understand that I'll have to sweat a little to grind off the rivets for the spring brackets. I also understand that I'll have to do a bit of fabrication for the track and sway bar mounts. Any other feedback on this part?

I'll go ahead and note, that I'm interested in parting out the rest of the truck as well. i.e., motor (7.3 IDI 300K), tranny, front clip, cab (crew) with all 4 doors, glass, panels, rear axle, and main frame.

Thanks in advance.
Titojeep
Dacula GA

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I answer your question, will you sell me the zf5 setup cheap? :sly

4x4 transmissions and 2wd transmission have different tailshafts. If I understand what you are wanting to end up with, it is an e40d under your 4x4. You have to change the output shaft on the e40d. And it comes out of the front of the transmission. :mad:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I believe it was Heath (hesutton) that did a 4wd swap onto his dually. I plan on doing one on mine here shortly.

Anyway, here's the short of it. DGR is right about your transmission issue; your E4od will have to be converted to a 4wd transmission, which means you find a 4wd E4od and swap out tailshafts. And yes, you have to take EVERYTHING out from the front. It's a PITA. Why not just convert to the 5 speed while you're at it?

As far as the frame differences, your BEST option is to do a Reverse shackle kit. It'll ride a helluva lot better, and will make everything easier. It'll cost about $600 or so for the basics of the kit. You can make it work the way it is, but it's up to you. The RSK will "box" the front of the frame and extend it out a little to make it stronger.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For simplicity sake...

USE a DIVORCE mounted transfer case..Usually a NP205, behind the 2WD E4OD, then add the front diff...done! You will have to add some spring shackle mounts or rob the ones off the 4x but your track bar and everything should swap over.

No big deal, it's been done here there are write ups on it. Just search, one Canadian did it too...

BigRigTech is the one whom did a really nice conversion.

This is with a ZF but principles for E4OD remain the same.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?21663-ZF-5-NP205-T-CASE-INSTALL-PIC-S&highlight=

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?21309-Divorced-NP205-t-case-install&highlight=

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?20277-2WD-TO-4WD-DANA-60-UNDER-MY-F250&highlight=

Hope this helps you out.

Al

Titojeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. In terms of E40D, mine was rebuilt before I received the truck and it only has 30K miles. I'm o.k. with going to the ZF5, but I'd rather stay with an automatic. The benefit of the granny gear would be nice for extra heavy loads, but I usually tow around the 4-5K range. To be honest, besides loving the IDI's and burning alternative fuel, I primarily enjoy the benefit of stable towing due to the DRW's.

I'll take a look at the attached threads, however now I have a couple of new questions as they relate to your feed back:

NP205? So I can litterally use a NP205 with my 2wd E40D without special modifications?
When you say removal of the tail shaft from the front of the transmission, does that mean taking the internals apart (like a rebuild) or just PIT becaus the tranny has to come out, and so on?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look at the attached threads, however now I have a couple of new questions as they relate to your feed back:

NP205? So I can litterally use a NP205 with my 2wd E40D without special modifications?
When you say removal of the tail shaft from the front of the transmission, does that mean taking the internals apart (like a rebuild) or just PIT becaus the tranny has to come out, and so on?

Better to read quickly through the threads than post questions without reading them...THEY ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!

Read them if then you have questions, please articulate what needs clarification...the pictures and descriptions are very good. to the point these should be tech articles IMHO

Removing tail shaft pertains to your E4OD and having it completely redone for a 4wd case if you want to go married tcase...read the links....

Al

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It means taking the internals out to get to the very back part (tail shaft) and changing it. Then all the way back together again.

You can use a divorced NP205 with a 2wd transmission. Not too hard to hook up. Takes minimal modifications.

Titojeep

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks guys. I appreciate the info and the links. Looks like I need to decide which way to go on the tranny. I really don't want to give up my E40D for the 5 speed at this point.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks guys. I appreciate the info and the links. Looks like I need to decide which way to go on the tranny. I really don't want to give up my E40D for the 5 speed at this point.

Another option. ask the transmission builder what it would cost to convert your tranny to a 4wd unit. Chances are it will not be very much $$$. Two parts are required. tail shaft and extension housing.

Titojeep

Reaction score
Trackspeeder, I agree. I'm looking into that right now however I'm a little skeptical about having my tranny opened up. It's been good to me so far and I would hate for something simple to happen that wouldn't be identified until many miles later. So far 35K on rebuld and operates great for how I tow and what I use my truck for. I'm also considering just selling my tranny, buying a 4X e40d to mate to my x fer case even if it set's me back a little on cost. Just not sure yet, but I need to figure it out soon as I need to sell the donor stuff.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I have to disagree on the "not expensive" part. You're asking them to do a lot of labor; I asked about a C6 of all transmissions once, and the shop gave me a $600 quote for parts and labor. On a C6!!!! I did it myself instead. Took me 3 times to get it right (putting everything back together, figuring out something wasn't right, trying to fix it twice, finally getting it right the third time).

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have to disagree on the "not expensive" part. You're asking them to do a lot of labor; I asked about a C6 of all transmissions once, and the shop gave me a $600 quote for parts and labor. On a C6!!!! I did it myself instead. Took me 3 times to get it right (putting everything back together, figuring out something wasn't right, trying to fix it twice, finally getting it right the third time).

$600. on a C6 they should be throwing some new parts in it.

There is very little labor involved. Sounds like a lot, but its very simple.

The hardest part of the job is the output shaft snap ring. You have to remember there is no break down of the sub asseblies. The whole gear train stays in the holder while you dig out the snap ring.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some people installing a divorced transfer may be "simple" but I would not call it that. A lot of fabbing. Custom crossmember, transfer case linkage and shifter have to be mounted, both driveshafts have to cut and shortened/lengthened. You know your abilities and the amount of head scratching and fabbing you are capable of. It's not for everyone.

Titojeep

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree also on the divorce complications. I weld and fab as a hobby and have actually built some pretty nice stuff (trailers, jeep mods, etc.) but I really wan't to keep this project as simple as possible. Fabing up suspension brackets, and bolting things up keeps it pretty simple as long as I can either use the existing ZF from the donor truck, or selling my E40 and finding one that's the 4X4 type. I just hate all the negative stuff I keep reading about the ZF? While I'm not looking forward to going to a 5 speed, I do think that it might give me a good option to add a Gearvendors under/overdrive unit for added powerband control. Hmmm, but then I'll have to modify the drive shafts, right????

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zf has been a pretty good tranny in my truck so far. The tranny options for these trucks are lousy I will admit.

The c6 is a fuel hog and is a little sluggish at slow speeds, but it holds up well.

The old 4 speeds are good, but they don't have overdrive either.

The e4OD is lousy and won't hold up unless it's rebuilt and updated. It's then good, but is still complicated with lots of wires and a computer.

The zf gives you the overdrive with the good fuel mileage, but then there is the flywheel. It requires the expensive dual mass flywheel if you want it totally quiet with no noise. If you do not mind some noise from it at idle,, you can use one of the conversion solid flywheels. Other than that, it seems to do ok, except most need some extra care when putting them into reverse.

I went with the zf because it was the cheapest, simplest way to get overdrive. Probably the sweetest setup would be the old 4 speed with a overdrive unit behind it. But you are correct, that would require driveshaft mods. The zf will be a bolt in, you only have the expense of the flywheel. Don't think you can re-use the original dual mass flywheel, if it needs a new clutch, then the dual mass is probably wore out also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online