Expensive "automatic" undercoating

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So amidst the myriad of things to fix on this truck...

I was driving home yesterday and noticed I'd burned almost half a tank in what usually takes about 1/8. I also noticed strangely that my rear driver's tires were leaving a trail... I realized the truck smelled of diesel way more than normal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently somehow my fuel filter had unscrewed. It's been fine for ~4000mi so ***?!?

Luckily that's all it was. I'm sure it could have been way worse. Luckily I went the way that there's a gas station while headed home instead of the other back road I usually take!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there, had that happen. Was pulling pretty hard and the fuel vaporized on the exhaust manifold. Just lucky the whole thing didn't go up in flames. Tightened the $#!# out of the filter and so far so good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Been there too but not as bad as this. When I smelled diesel I pulled over and also found my newly installed fuel filter loose. I had installed it bout an hour before this. Makes a mess but cleans up fast and easy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there too but not as bad as this. When I smelled diesel I pulled over and also found my newly installed fuel filter loose. I had installed it bout an hour before this. Makes a mess but cleans up fast and easy.

Yeah but mine has smelled like diesel since I got it so it didn't smell unusual lol I just haven't had time to go through it and reseal everything yet. Plus it didn't help that I was pushing to get to the gas station in case it was something far worse. I figured it was running fine don't stop but who knows if you shut it off.

Never would have suspected this. I was wondering if something hit and broke a tank or if maybe my pump was leaking or something.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya better pull the filter and see if the brass fitting that holds the filter heater On and the filter element screws on to. If the heater has been removed and the brass fitting was not reinstalled with Red or Blue Loctite it can become loose and the filter will leak.

Diesel fuel is a lousy undercoating.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya better pull the filter and see if the brass fitting that holds the filter heater On and the filter element screws on to. If the heater has been removed and the brass fitting was not reinstalled with Red or Blue Loctite it can become loose and the filter will leak.

I'll keep an eye on it and check that when I get a chance. I tightened it up and so far it's held fine. Thanks for the heads up!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stuff is scary when it happens. I had a fuel pressure gauge in place of the schrader valve on the filter head on my rig. Driving up to Chico, I kept smelling diesel fuel. Looked in the mirror and I was smoking real bad up near Gridley. Pulled over and popped the hood to find the gauge had failed dumping about 10 gallons of fuel all over the engine. Can't believe engine didn't run away because filter was soaked like a mop.
Just had something similar happen with my Jeep and a failed transmission line this past weekend headed up to Brian's place.
But this time it caught fire -Flame Thr.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but it's something. It matches up with my horribly leaking power steering pump on the other side! I have one resealed but half my tools are buried and I haven't had the time while moving into the new place.

That stuff is scary when it happens. I had a fuel pressure gauge in place of the schrader valve on the filter head on my rig. Driving up to Chico, I kept smelling diesel fuel. Looked in the mirror and I was smoking real bad up near Gridley. Pulled over and popped the hood to find the gauge had failed dumping about 10 gallons of fuel all over the engine. Can't believe engine didn't run away because filter was soaked like a mop.
Just had something similar happen with my Jeep and a failed transmission line this past weekend headed up to Brian's place.
But this time it caught fire -Flame Thr.

Yeah I'm very grateful the diesel didn't light up spraying on the exhaust manifold. How bad is the Jeep? I've seen a car fire, 90's Chevy Tahoe. Not a pretty sight.