exhaust manifold prep

dieselpower63

Reaction score
Curious about my 85 6.9l f250 exhaust manifold gasket surfaces. With new heads, I want to make sure I prep the ex. manifolds correctly. Is there supposed to be a concave ring on the manifolds? It appears that way in some spots, but not others. What is the correct way to mount the metal gaskets, with or without copper spray gasket?? I degreased and sandblasted with not much luck, any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both the head and the manifold surfaces are supposed to be flat. New manifolds can be found on ebay for around $60.00 each. Sometimes they can be found for $100.00 each. The spray copper coat or Hilomar is a good idea. Remember that those bolts are a special interferiance thread. Not just some everyday bolt either.

dieselpower63

Reaction score
thanks!

Excellent advice. These are in good condition, per your earlier instructions all 16 bolts, 4 studs and nuts were power wire brushed and really do appear in quite good shape. Can i use a grinder (gently) to dress the manifold gasket surface flat and smooth? I usually use 220 grit paper or 0000 steel wool to polish things smooth, not sure if that's copacetic for exhaust manifolds.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Machine shops can resurface them for a little coin. If you attempt to do it, the main thing is the whole thing need to remain flat. Most that came in the shop that someone had attempted to "smooth" were very unlevel and that causes leaks.

dieselpower63

Reaction score
Heading down to the local machine shop now, really do appreciate all the help. Next to buying this truck with my son, joining this club is the best thing I've ever done. Been wrenchin' on gassers for years (shade tree only ;) ) sure is nice to be able to "go next door" and ask the knowledgeable folks a question!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE ONLY WAY...TO ATTEMPT TO GRIND SURFACES LEVEL AT HOME IS IF YOU HAVE A HUGE BELT SANDER THAT THE ENTIRE GASKET SURFACE OF THE MANIFOLD CAN REST DOWN ON THE ABRASIVE WHILE BEING DRESSED...otherwise you'll eff the surface for sure...

Something like this may work well? Pinched from a thread on Pirate 4x

You must be registered for see images attach

dieselpower63

Reaction score
Oh my goodness.

I....have.....t h i n g s.......l i k e......THAT...in MY basement! I am afraid I have stumbled upon some like-minded individuals ;)

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, sounds like you bit the hook.LOL I wouldn't use anything more than scotchbrite for prep. Anything more, the machine shop is the best choice.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have grade 8 bolts in both my trucks holding he manifolds on. Never had an issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I....have.....t h i n g s.......l i k e......THAT...in MY basement! I am afraid I have stumbled upon some like-minded individuals ;)
If you have a setup comparable to that, and it is both long and wide enough to accommodate sanding the surface carefully of the manifolds I personally would do that, seeing as I do not however have said machine, I'd take it to a machine shop...

Caveat though, I may....be able to get a different kind of machine a buddy who owns a body shop is looking into a surface grinder I saw in an old lady's yard...LOL

You must be registered for see images

That's the same unit I'm looking at a Kwik-Way 855-5 head surface grinder....the old lady has no need for it...LOL All I can say is I am hopefull...woot!

sassyrel

Reaction score
If you have a setup comparable to that, and it is both long and wide enough to accommodate sanding the surface carefully of the manifolds I personally would do that, seeing as I do not however have said machine, I'd take it to a machine shop...

Caveat though, I may....be able to get a different kind of machine a buddy who owns a body shop is looking into a surface grinder I saw in an old lady's yard...LOL

You must be registered for see images

That's the same unit I'm looking at a Kwik-Way 855-5 head surface grinder....the old lady has no need for it...LOL All I can say is I am hopefull...woot!

thats just flat out not right!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:backoff

dieselpower63

Reaction score
head resurfacing equip.

It is if the next post from riotwarrior is "Send any stuff needing resurfacing straight to my place, turnaround will be 1 week!" Roflmao

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What we used was a large round cup style grinding wheel that was inset in a flat cast iron table. It was specifically and ONLY used to grind exhaust manifolds. It was about a 10 inch cup, table was about 5 feet long and 2 feet deep.