Exhaust leak in overdrive only?

Joe Martin

Reaction score
7.3 isi factory turbo. While in overdrive and above 2000rpm it sounds like it has an exhaust leak. I can put it in neutral and rev it to 2500 rpm with no sound. No clue please help

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First, you should try looking for soot at the connections on your exhaust system. Then look the whole thing over as closely as possible for cracks or pin holes in the exhaust. Hopefully, it's a REALLY small leak that happens in overdrive because it puts a little bit more stress on the drivetrain than the other gears.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the other thread I mentioned going under the truck and looking for soot, have you done that yet? The exhaust is only leaking in overdrive because it has the most drive pressure in that gear. I’d look closely at the crossover pipe connections, and the slip joint on the up pipe, you’ll likely find your leak there.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 isi factory turbo. While in overdrive and above 2000rpm it sounds like it has an exhaust leak. I can put it in neutral and rev it to 2500 rpm with no sound. No clue please help
I bet you'd get the same sound in 3rd gear too if you stomped on it. Neutral doesn't give you any load so any leaks will be minimal that way.
Or "D", drive, whatever you slushbox guys call it. :joker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online