Exhaust Backpressure Valve/Tube?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean if the oil orings are already worn, yes they're going to leak faster since it's being used more often.

Mainly just try to keep rpm's under 2700 or so iirc.
Reason being is you can float valves.

You'd be better off with a true exhaust brake, but it does work fairly good.

True exhaust brakes are set so that once a certain back pressure is reached, it'll overcome spring pressure and open to prevent engine damage.

rthomas

Reaction score
Before using it as a brake do some research on using with a e4od, dont hold me to it but I dont think you can use it in 3rd gear (and I don't) without doing internal mods to the tranny

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Good point. I think main thing is keeping the torque converter locked.
But not sure, as I haven't looked up anything auto related.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping the TC locked is good down to 40 MPH, then the compression is in-effective. Circuits to do that is in the 6.9 - 7.3 forum in the IDI Tech forum. I've have it on my 99, good braking help when going downhill loaded.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a real exhaust brake also have issues with an E4OD? I noticed some of them come with a trans command or whatever...don't know if this would be required for use with an E4OD

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, will this mod work with the EBPV unplugged? I am assuming the colored wire is hot and the black wire should be grounded?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes. For a real brake you'd still need to keep the TC locked. Hence why most come with a teams command.

Not sure what you mean in your last post.
I mean obviously it won't work with it unplugged, but you can just run wire to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. haha.. what I meant was my EBPV is unplugged and non-functional and I don't want to plug it back in. I want it to only work manually. If I just put switched 12v to the colored wire and ground the black wire will it work?

rthomas

Reaction score
Would a real exhaust brake also have issues with an E4OD? I noticed some of them come with a trans command or whatever...don't know if this would be required for use with an E4OD
I think there is some changes that need to be made in the drum in order to use in all gears, not long after I hooked mine up my tranny that was built by a good builder started slipping in second and IIRC it is a seal in the drum that cant take the decel load and fails and that leads to excessive clutch wear, I should have documented the info that I learned when I had my problem, make sure you figure this out before you use it as an exhaust brake.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you want to save the forward clutch from damage invest in a TransGo Tugger kit. This kit will correct the 2nd gear burn up issues the E4 and 4R has.

Another fix I would do is add another friction and steel to the forward clutch pack. This will require machine work to the top plate.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I will definitely not be rigging the EBPV as a brake anytime soon!!

Are the proper $800 exhaust brake kits with transcommand still harder on the E4OD? And are they hard to install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online