Ex Wife- my LONG term build

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great progress, there’s something indescribably satisfying about knowing all the nooks and crannies are clean even if no one will ever appreciate it.

I have to ask though, how did you get the headliner out without removing the rear or front window? which door did you use? Does it only work if the seats are out?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have to ask though, how did you get the headliner out without removing the rear or front window? which door did you use? Does it only work if the seats are out?
I "cheated". The seats were already out. It came out of the driver's door. Now I didn't say that it fell out on it's own. It still needed some coaxing. I believe that I've seen someone (or maybe more than one?) say on here that the seats do need to be out. You could try removing the rear window, but it's relatively narrow when compared to the head liner and I wouldn't want to try to bend it enough to come out through there. The rear windows are much easier to R&R than the windshields since they are held in with a gasket. I suppose that it would come out either front door (No difference in this case since there wasn't a steering column or dash in my truck). I don't know about the rear doors either.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did forget a short story that good for a chuckle. Last night, I was tired enough that I didn't want to make myself anything to eat after all of this. I ordered a pizza from the Pizza shop that's about 2 1/2 blocks from my house. When I got there, one of my boss's friends was in there so I BS'd with him for a couple of minutes. He asked me "What? Your girlfriend didn't want to cook for you?" I popped right back with "Nope. I've been spending too much time with the Ex Wife lately". When I told him why I call this truck that, he got a good laugh out of it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I got a few more parts in today. The clutch arm bushing and the pedal pivot shaft bushings. I doubled those since the clutch in the Blue Truck isn't acting quite right lately. I also bought a firewall reinforcement plate. I didn't double that one since it's more expensive than the bushings. The big purchase for today was a Ford NP 205 transfer case. My thinking behind this purchase was that I don't know how well the B/W 1356 will hold up to the extra power that the built 7.3 will have. If it doesn't hold up, the NP 205 will. It obviously has a leaking seal. I can use that as an excuse to go in and put lower low range gears in it at the time that I do the clean up and seal replacement.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 6

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the 1356 myself but there seems to be a few people saying they're reasonably strong, 205s are not reasonably priced around here or I might have done the same for peace of mind. That said, the 1356 should have slightly lower low range. Something like 2.7:1 vs 2:1 in the 205 if I remember correctly.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I gave $200 for the NP 205. I do't know if it was a good price or not, but I haven't seen one in real life since the 90's.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right. I've seen them go for a little more, but they're usually divorced mount.

Again, IF you can find one....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's true. The only ones that I've seen were divorced and out of Internationals. If you were building a custom rig, that would be an advantage since you don't need a 4X4 transmission. Assuming that the front out put was on the correct side of course. Since they were on the same side as Fords (as I recall) it was always on the correct side as far as I was concerned. Plus he has two more. I may have bought another one, but I didn't have the extra money.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't done much to this for a while. A few more updates. Today's adventure didn't start out very well. I had some boxes in the bed of the blue Truck so I could take them over to the Ex Wife. As I passed the county line sign on the way, I topped a hill and wondered "What's that up ahead? It looks like fog with the sun shining on it. OH CRAP! That's rain, not fog (all but one of the boxes could NOT get wet). By this time, I was over the hill and decided to stop on top of the next hill. As I was slowing down to pull off of the highway, it started to "sprinkle" with large rain drops. I pulled off the highway, jumped out to move boxes, and it started to rain slowly, but steadily. As I was driving off, back to town, I was saying a few four letter words. I had to go clear back to town (only 3 miles, but still frustrating) to find a place to stop where it wasn't raining. After putting all of the boxes in the cab, I started driving again. The rain was now right outside of town and I felt vindicated. UNTIL... I got about a half mile past where I had stopped the first time and the rain had all stopped. I could have kept going and been just fine (the rain had been south of the highway and had continued on to the south). A couple more four letter words! At least I made it with everything dry that needed to be.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's some of the boxes that had to stay dry. With these installed, I won't be listening to the exhaust of the truck unless I want to. Nothing is top of the line, but will work just fine for the music that I listen to.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This box didn't matter if it got wet or not. The driver's side was a little bit stuck as you can see by how I had to take to old one off. It's hard to see in the last picture with the sun right over the house behind the truck, but the mirrors finally match and do look good.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    497.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 15

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And finally, the last box that couldn't get wet in the rain. I got my set of Turbo rods in for the future engine build for this truck (as if I needed help spending money on this thing).

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 6

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kicker and jvc look like will do the job, rockville tho unsure on that brand. That sounds like something at the bottom of the barrel with pyle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It kind of is, but it actually had pretty good reviews. If it's a POS, it can be replaced. I just wasn't wanting to spend 4$00+ on an amp right now so I'm hoping that it will be decent for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online