Ex Wife- my LONG term build

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I won't be back to my garage until this weekend. I'll certainly try to take a picture or two. As for the Dyna Beads, you can buy them online at innovative balancing.com. You can also type "Dyna Beads" in your search engine to get there. That's how I found them the first time. You WILL want to buy the relatively high dollar valve cores with the filters on them while you're buying the Dyna Beads. I tried it without them the first time. After driving for a while, I had two out of the four that would stick slightly open after checking the air pressure. I had to grab my pocket knife and wedge the tip of the blade inside the stem to pull the core back out so that it would seal and stop leaking. Suddenly the $2 each (or whatever they cost) didn't seem like very much money. Just a cautionary piece of advice.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On second thought, maybe I'll do a write up and try to show most of the steps in changing a tire by hand. I do have a couple of tires that need to go on my pickup bed trailer. That way, it will help give interested people an idea how this is done. At least how I do this.

I did two of the 15" tires for my trailer by hand (a couple of tire irons) with a Slime 2X 12V air compressor. Not easy, but I wanted to save some money. I couldn't get one of the three to seal the bead for anything in the world. I took it to a tire shop and even they had a very hard time with it, dunno why. The rim looks ok and the tire didn't messed up. It's like it was a bit smushed around the beads. I think it's one that is actually on the trailer axle (not the spare) and it's holding up fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Wow. That's kind of crazy. If you can do it yourself, you can save quite a bit of money.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Can you post a pic or maybe even just a description of your hand bead breaking/tire mounting set up so us "junior varsity" tire mounters can learn from your 33.5 minutes per tire expertise? It sounds like you've had really good luck with Dynabeads: do you have any recommendations on using them or best place to purchase them?

I have some time off coming and I have a pesky front tire that balanced with what I can only describe as an excessive amount of weights that results in a shimmy right at 65 MPH which of course is right where I like to run on the highway. I'd like to take a shot at rebalancing that tire/wheel. If you were closer I'd drop it off and pay your hourly rate ;)
I would jack up that tire and check it for roundness. I wasted a ton of time trying to bead-balance a tire just to find out it was out of round. Of course I didn't know which tire it was at first so a lot more work just to find the culprit... would take like 20 mins to check all 4 for roundness if they are on the truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today, I took the HT tires off of the back of the Blue Truck and put them on the front of the Ex Wife. I found out that extremely rust simulators aren't much fun to get off, but then the wheel was even worse. The center had a rust hole in it. I'm betting that it was facing up where it was sitting and the whole center would fill with water during a hard rain. I had to get mean with the simulator center in order to remove it. That wasn't mean enough for the wheel. I had to let it soak in PB Blaster for about 30 minutes. Then the Instrument of Death was able to remove the rusted wheel. I beat up the inside part of the rim a little bit. I straightened the worst parts the best that I could. Good thing there will be simulators covering it in the future.

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    582.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that it's been a while, but I haven't completely forgotten about her. I did a little bit more shopping for her in prep for getting ready to pull her off the back burner. It will probably be a few more months, but it's still progress, of a sort. The tightwad in me was squealing pretty loudly after I made the purchase. The logical part of me said "the 3.55 gears will get better fuel mileage than the 4.10s on her now and you like that part. Since the exhaust is 409 stainless, it should outlast me so that was worth it too." The logical part is right, but the other side can squeal SOOO loud. The down side is that since the exhaust is for a first gen 7.3 PSD exhaust and designed to include the catalytic convertor, it may not be long enough. I may have to buy another piece of pipe to make up for not having it.:dunno:Whatever: I'll also be perusing Russ's website for a crush sleeve eliminator after my next pay day. I didn't put the 3"-4" coupler or the hardware to the exhaust picture.

Attachments

• 102_3499.JPG
    102_3499.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 102_3500.JPG
    102_3500.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 102_3505.JPG
    102_3505.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 6

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've heard about the ex-wife since I've been on here. I might check out your back story a bit, but mostly I'm looking forward to seeing your relationship flourish. Will your exhaust sound like wedding bells? My stacks sound like the second horseman of the apocalypse.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know what it will sound like. I just know that it will be quieter than if I left a straight pipe like I was originally going to do. It won't sound like your stacks, but it's pretty straight through so it should still have a decent sounds. Hopefully, someone with one of these systems will read this and let us know how theirs sounds.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Understandable. It's a longer thread. The title does say that it's a long term build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.