Ex Wife- my LONG term build

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a small step, but it's one step closer. I bought a pair of tires. Two reasons for that. 1) so that I can mount them on a pair of rear rims just to be absolutely sure that the 235/85r16 tires will be spaced far enough apart that they won't touch. 2) there's no orifice of my body that can produce the money to buy all 6 tires at once. I can afford to buy them one pair at a time though. I got them ready to be mounted on rims sometime in the near future.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 6

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well now she's going to have some bright, new eyes to go along with her Australian accent. I got a headlight relay kit and a couple of headlight pigtails since I don't remember if the Brick Nose plugs will plug in to the Bull Nose headlights. I also didn't remember whether the relay kit plugs into one headlight plug or two. That's why I bought two pigtails. All I need now is for the LED H4 replacement bulbs from Super Bright LED to come in. There's time.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now she's going to have some bright, new eyes to go along with her Australian accent. I got a headlight relay kit ans a couple of headlight pigtails since I don't remember if the Brick Nose plugs will plug in to the Bull Nose headlights. I also didn't remember whether the relay kit plugs into one headlight plug or two. That's why I bought two pigtails. All I need now is for the LED H4 replacement bulbs from Super Bright LED to come in. There's time.
Tell your cat I say hello LOL

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 cats and 1 dog. They all get excited when I get a package. The cats will watch me open it from a distance and once it’s open they’ll see if they can play with it. My dog just automatically assumes it’s for him. I went downstairs to him running around with a v band clamp once LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reason that I chose to have cats instead of dogs (years ago) was that I don't believe in just letting a dog run free (a lot of people do in small towns and they are usually the ones who yell the loudest when their female comes up bred). I also don't like tying a dog up or putting it in a small pen. I don't expect to have a dog stay in the house for 9-10 hours while I'm at work and not use the bathroom. I know that I sure don't wait that long between times going. Cats were just the natural choice for me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And here's the LEDs. I got the two H4 replacements, four 1157 replacements, two 194 replacements, and two electronic flashers. High dollar, but they should be better quality than the cheap ones on Ebay or Amazon.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 2

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a dumb question....what is underdrive transmission? Never heard of it

Underdrive is a transmission ratio lower than ~4:1 as apposed to a overdrive being higher than 1:1, there also is the term thrown around of granny gears that passes for lower than around 6:1. The zf5 would be a example of something that can be considered a under over transmission since has a underdrive 1st and overdrive 5th. Then there can be double under like with a spicer/fuller that has more than one underdrive gear, there is also boxes with double over as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that he was talking about an aftermarket underdrive unit. That would be one that is added on with a lower gear ratio rather than a higher one. Instead of the unit that gives you a little bit higher final drive, it would give you a slightly lower one. Say, for instance, back when these trucks were new (let's call the year 1984 as a example), you had bought a F250 with a four speed transmission, 3.54 gears, and the 6.9. The speed limit is 55 MPH and you mostly drive the truck empty. You live in a hilly (not mountainous) area. You have bought a 3/4 ton truck. Now you decide to buy a 5th wheel camper that you want to haul to the lake 60 miles away through the hills. Your new steed does just fine most of the time, but it just won't pull the camper through the hills to the lake. Sure, you could drop back to 3rd gear, but you don't really like to go that slow with all of the traffic that keeps backing up behind you. For whatever reason, you don't want a turbo which would be a non wastegated one anyway and wouldn't do much at the lower engine RPMs that you'd be seeing at 55 MPH. Here's where the underdrive unit would come in handy. You cloud switch to underdrive and have enough RPMs to hold the 55 MPH speed well enough to make you happy. This was a made up example, but it is a situation that could have happened.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh a aux transmission like a gear vender, ranger, brownie, ect. Yea there is that way as well to get a underdrive that will split gears with a ratio lower than 1:1 as opposed to a overdrive one that is more common that has a ratio higher than.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only reason that I suspected an aftermarket unit was because I mentioned early on that I wasn't sure if the DN2 unit is overdrive or underdrive. Since it's a C6, 4.10 gears, and 65 MPH speed limits on most highways around here, I'm guessing that it's an overdrive.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Over the last few days, I got some fuel system parts in. For now, I'm just going to run on the new front tank with the FSV bypassed. Later will come the Bronco tank. The rear filler neck from Rock Auto looks about right. They didn't list one for the front tank on a dually for some reason. I bought two regular ones figuring that I would splice them together somehow, but I'm not sure that they will be long enough combined. I guess I'll see. I also got a pair of tire pressure equalizers. Finally, after I was done with everything else, she got moved up close to the street in front of the garage so I can get started. I'm not 100% sure how I'll proceed from here since I got a twist thrown at me Friday night. I'm not counting on it until I see it in my yard, but I got offered all of a 1992 or 1993 F350, ex cab, dually, 4X4 with a 7.3 and ZF5 except for the axles and possibly without the transmission. It started with a phone call from a friend. He asked if I'd be interested in a IDI engine. Of course I said yes! This truck caught on fire, mostly in the cab. The owner said that he'd take the bale bed and the fairly new tires off and give the rest to my friend. He said that if I help him take off what he wants (axles and maybe the ZF5) then he'd give me the rest. It was running and being used when it caught on fire so how could I say no to that? If it all works out, I'll have a 7.3 to put in while I build up an engine with turbo rods. Now, if the 6.9 turns out to be usable, I'm going to swap that into the Red Truck along with the C6 and the DN2 OD. I'll use it mostly for running around so I'm going to keep it N/A.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 10
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG