Engine Swap Questions

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new uhaul 7.3 engine, got the front end of the truck pulled apart, motor mounts are off, turbo downpipe is disconnected. turbo is still on pedestal. everything is unhooked from engine except transmission.
I know there are 6 bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing, i can get to 5 but the top two are hard. The driver side wont turn and I cant see the passenger side from above. I'm about to go out and try from underneath...

Do I need to unbolt the transmission to get the old engine out, or leave it and unhook it from the driveline and pull the shifters (4x4)?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would remove the trans from the engine because its easier to move it out and less weight on the hoist. Might try connecting all you 1/2 drive extensions together and reach in from the back of the trans to get at the top bell housing bolts. Or connect the hoist to the engine. Remove the motor mounts. Drop it down enough to reach the top bolts and there. Its done.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many curse the body lift, but it makes working on stuff easier.

x 2 on the multiple extensions from the back to access these bolts, use some tape on the bolt heads when you reinstall them.

You gotta be drooling to get that new engine in there....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably too much trouble for you to go through, but I happened to have my seat out and my carpet out changing out the metal floor piece when I was swapping from the c6 to the zf. The bolts are right there once you get that floor pan cover off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's probably too much trouble for you to go through, but I happened to have my seat out and my carpet out changing out the metal floor piece when I was swapping from the c6 to the zf. The bolts are right there once you get that floor pan cover off.

Trans tunnel cover off makes it easy.
I did my brothers 93 from the top with a wrench.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If your mounts are disconnected, you can jack up the trans, remove the transmission cross member, then carefully lower it. That will tilt the motor down and you can very easily get at the two top bolts with a 1/2" impact gun and a 6" extension from under the truck.

Ask me how I know...

Also, yes you can pull the engine and trans as one unit. You'll just need a pretty burly cherry picker, and to be very careful not to knock the ******** out of the transmission as you guide it out of the bay.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it out, only four bolts for trans to bell house, already had em out lol. I thought it was 6 but I was thinking the bell housing, google image search helped me figure it out.
old engine on the ground, turbo still attached. tomorrow swapping turbo and truck/van parts, then engine :sly. Pulled the radiator core support, heard its better to pull front clip and hood but that sounded harder to me. Front clip was relatively easy and left the hood on.

Also took off starter, having oil filter off could've helped a tiny bit too but I left it. engine didn't have mounts for the picker on the back, just two on the front. BIG MISTAKE. had to put one on the back, problem solved. having a jack and prybar helped too to get things going in the right direction.

thanks for the help all sofar.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking swap. Now remember the parts that need to swap. Just maybe the fuel filter from the uhaul needs to have the truck filter. Then there is the drivers side exhaust manifold swap. Might look at the oil cooler headers. If they look different from the truck headers you may as well change the complete unit as a whole piece. Now remember the injection pump will be the low rpm pump too but at least its a newer pump than whats on your removed turbo engine. Lastly. These are exactly the same engines internally and most everything outside will bolt on the other engine.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey you want to sell or trade that van cooler?....Where in OR are you...I'm moving to Eugene very soon to Open the New Camping World Shop in Coburg as the Service Manager. My Motor Home engine swap went well right up to when the IP crapped out. So I'm commuting 356 miles one way from 80 miles north of Seattle to Eugene Mondays and back on Friday. What a pain....I can't seem to find a rental house with room for Horse's, so I'm driving until I find one...I want a spare cooler for my MH and My brother has a van so it would work for both of us...I'm sending off my pump first of the week so the MH is stuck in WA until I get it back..

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good racer, i am in salem. I can drive down as long as im not busy.. I also have a new uhaul IP or the one off this engine if you need to borrow one.

I heard by googling through ford trucks forum that the motor mounts were different too? I need to take a look now that they are side by side.

The turbo piping is rusty but solid , no soot marks i think. Both compressor and impeller look good, just sooty on compressor. Is there any auto parts paint or coating i can apply myself to keep more heat in and make it nicer looking? I figure engine paint wont last and heard bad stuff about header wrap.

I unbolted the downpipe for removal but i think it would be easier to cut it off the exhaust and clamp or weld it back up with my lincoln.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke too soon about turbo leak, the part where the y-pipe meets the pedestal is covered in soot. Looks like two studs connect the pipe to the pedestal, some gasket in between.

Turbo is a non-wg banks sidewinder. I will take some better pictures in a bit

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Rhk why are you pulling the 6.9? Must of missed that post... I'm only a couple miles away in Aumsville if you need a hand with anything.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer bookite03!

I pulled the engine because prior owner/ no longer friend borrowed it and ran it hard, got a ton of sand in the intake and blew the turbo. He swapped turbos apparently but its used if he did. Engine had very low compression, first two cylinders were under 230. Third read 0 but the gauge stopped working too so who knows

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A sandy intake can really ruff up the turbo and the cylinders too. What the hell was this past friend doing in the sand anyway. I'm hoping that fella is paying for this mess.