John Deere engine swap?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple 8Ns, and cubs, a C, etc. But real tractors were a MF 175 with some type of loader rigged on it. It had a Perkins on it, and the loader sucked, it would crank right up though, sold it be because I needed money. Now I have the international 674. When I got it all 4 cylinders were rusted in place on both sides. I beat them out, honed it, and reringed it. Runs like a top. My complaint is that it's a gas tractor, but HEY,it's got a loader.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm for it. It's outta my league, but I support you. I know where a deuse and a half is that is just a cab and cut frame. It's got the real multi fuel engine and transmission, I thought that would be spiffy, but I'm really not interested.
Yah I have a m35a2c with a multifuel in it. They are a 7.8L engine they are way too huge for a pickup and stock they are only 135hp for the turbocharged engines. they are a diesel engine with different pistons and injectors that spray a stream of fuel into a hole/chamber in the piston then it ignites and blows the combustion out the top of the piston propelling it downward. Its basically half idi half di that's how they manage detonation with gasoline, they run stupid high compression too. The fuel system is a bosch rotary injection pump with a fuel density compensator that limits rack travel depending on fuel viscosity but they often tend to fail and dump fuel to the crankcase so even the army was bypassing them as they were not needed. If your going to run gas in them you have to add 1 quart of engine oil per 10 gallons of gas to lubricate the fuel system. I'll never run anything but diesel in mine I have added a pyrometer and turned the fuel up so its making more than the stock 135hp but its nothing to brag about but the truck is a blast to drive

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah I have a m35a2c with a multifuel in it. They are a 7.8L engine they are way too huge for a pickup and stock they are only 135hp for the turbocharged engines. they are a diesel engine with different pistons and injectors that spray a stream of fuel into a hole/chamber in the piston then it ignites and blows the combustion out the top of the piston propelling it downward. Its basically half idi half di that's how they manage detonation with gasoline, they run stupid high compression too. The fuel system is a bosch rotary injection pump with a fuel density compensator that limits rack travel depending on fuel viscosity but they often tend to fail and dump fuel to the crankcase so even the army was bypassing them as they were not needed. If your going to run gas in them you have to add 1 quart of engine oil per 10 gallons of gas to lubricate the fuel system. I'll never run anything but diesel in mine I have added a pyrometer and turned the fuel up so its making more than the stock 135hp but its nothing to brag about but the truck is a blast to drive
I'd want a L8000 or something like that for that engine. But that type of fabrication is way out of my league, so I'll leave it to the pros.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd want a L8000 or something like that for that engine. But that type of fabrication is way out of my league, so I'll leave it to the pros.
I would be swapping many different engines into a L8000 before a multi fuel. I like 3208s and they were a factroy option a dt466, 6v92T cummins L10 or a mack E7-250 would be long before my list for swaps into a medium duty chassis

94 moneypit

Reaction score
So the more research I do the more I change my mind. A DT 360 would make just as good(probably better/more reliable) of a power plant. Compared to a 359 12 v Cummins it has a stouter bottom end, better flowing head, much bigger head bolts( hypermax claims 200 psi of boost on factory head bolts), and wet sleeves. Not even to mention the aftermarket support is better also. It wouldn’t be as unique as the JD engine but still pretty cool. Speaking of the word ‘cool’, after reading a few forums I’ve seen that the DT runs pretty cool and doesn’t overheat nearly as fast as my 7.3 IDI.
Anyone ever seen an Eaton or Dana spicer 6 or 7 speed stuffed under an OBS ford? I would even consider an unsyncronized 9 or 10 speed if it would fit with reasonable tranny tunnel work. But a 6 speed with a brownie box splitter would be sick.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the more research I do the more I change my mind. A DT 360 would make just as good(probably better/more reliable) of a power plant. Compared to a 359 12 v Cummins it has a stouter bottom end, better flowing head, much bigger head bolts( hypermax claims 200 psi of boost on factory head bolts), and wet sleeves. Not even to mention the aftermarket support is better also. It wouldn’t be as unique as the JD engine but still pretty cool. Speaking of the word ‘cool’, after reading a few forums I’ve seen that the DT runs pretty cool and doesn’t overheat nearly as fast as my 7.3 IDI.
Anyone ever seen an Eaton or Dana spicer 6 or 7 speed stuffed under an OBS ford? I would even consider an unsyncronized 9 or 10 speed if it would fit with reasonable tranny tunnel work. But a 6 speed with a brownie box splitter would be sick.
I have a tractor engine in my C30 a Perkins T6.354.4 its a road variant engine but its more of a tractor engine than a 6bt. The 354 has been used in a ton of Massey and white tractors and equipment over the years. I have a Clark 5 speed and a Spicer 3 speed brownie behind it but only using direct and over on it now. I had to lift the body 4 inches otherwise no firewall/tunnel mods. Really any old mechanical diesel that's DI will run cool they don't make enough power to get hot a idi gets hot because of all the concentrated heat in the head with the prechambers.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media