Engine Swap Questions

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope he ain't :mad: . Really should be but back on point..:

Had to grind off some bad welds on the driver side motor mount, looks like he pushed the nut that holds the motor mount to the frame through that plate on the cross member and tried to weld the two halves together to keep it from being loose, and then he added a piece of metal welded from the cross member to the motor mount. The stud was loose too so I will probably need to line it up then weld it so it doesn't spin. I had to leave the nut on and push the engine around until I lined it up with the hole :rolleyes:. I knew about this problem a year ago or so because I heard a loud noise when accelerating and then felt the truck moving kinda side to side and then a loud slam as the engine went back in :eek:. I used a castle nut on the top and couldn't get the bottom one out because the stud was free-spinning. Nearly crapped myself when it happened. At the same time the downpipe and exhaust separated and it sounded very "hoggy". Welded it back up no problems LOL

The other motor mount only had 1 of the 2 bolts that connect the rubber-holding mount to the engine-side mount. The other was gone. The square nut that was on the remaining bolt broke the four welds that holds it on so I get to reweld that. I'm probably very lucky that the engine didn't break loose when his stupid bracket failed.

Just about done transferring the parts to the new engine. Found a guy nearby who does coatings that I'm trying to get to ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds, y-pipes and down pipe. Got all of that stuff off today. I want to have the turbo exhaust housing done too but not sure how to get it off yet. Is it really as simple as taking off the housing bolts and smacking it gently with a rubber mallet? I don't want to experiment with uncharted-for-me territory and possibly ruin it...
Maybe I should have Russ take a look at it and make sure the seals are good and what not.. I want to get it back in this weekend though :dunno

I have both the truck and van fuel filters mounted right now LOL. The van dipstick fits perfectly even with the truck fuel filter mounted. I'm very glad, the old dipstick and tube is another horror story.

Oh and figured out why the turbo didn't make much boost lately - one of the two nuts before the pedestal mount area was gone. And the slip-sleeve thing probably leaked too, I plan on welding that area together unless anyone thinks that is a bad idea.

Got the fan and pulley off the old water pump today, easier than I thought:
I took a bolt and fed it through a crescent wrench handle - its a circle smaller than the bolt head. Installed it back on the pulley. Found a regular-sized pair of channel locks and grabbed the fan nut. With me facing the fan, channel locks in right hand and crescent in left I pushed both down. The crescent pushes against the snout like a lever to keep it from spinning. That old fan was locked up in 40 degree weather, I plan on running electric fans so I just installed the pulley.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the difference between the driver side manifolds and oil coolers:

You must be registered for see images attach

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Anyone see a problem welding the pipes together that I circled in red at the top right, right now they are clamped and slip into eachother?

Also, are there gaskets for the other two things I highlighted?

I want to get it all ceramicoated

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can weld it where that band clamp is.

As far as I know, the manifolds and turbo collector don't have gaskets.
But you could probably use some job weld to seal the up.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna tear it down, see what it looks like inside. Salvage anything still useable if there is anything. Scrapping anything that aint.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped off parts to get ceramicoated today.

Gonna replace clutch while its easy to get at. Gotta call napa tomorrow and see if theyre open, autozone didnt have oil cooler gaskets or exhaust gaskets on hand..

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found all the parts I need, just gotta go to three different stores lol. Wish I could get a south bend kit but for 730$ i could maybe get a zf5..
If the planets all align just right, I will have the engine back in tonight with the new clutch and coated turbo kit. Ready to run. Here's hoping cookoo

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking at welding the pipes to the manifolds and to the pedestal? Or did I misunderstand that? You can weld that but the cast iron will just crack

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got all the parts i needed today after 4 stops- new 12" sachs clutch set, oil cooler mounting gaskets, exhaust gaskets, ceramic coated parts!

Ill upload pictures in a bit but it looks sweet. Welding went great after i swapped out tips. Gonna try to get some of it installed tonight, id love to drive it tomorrow

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New manifolds on, havent got new clutch on yet. Just about done swapping parts out. Will be done tomorrow

hoping ceramic coating from exhaust to downpipe, including turbo, will make it boost FAST

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online