Hayden simpson

Reaction score
So I just drove my 1985 6.9idi truck from Washington to Colorado. (Elevation from 100ft to 7000ft). Before I left I changed the injection pump which was on its way out. I have the timing slightly advanced which is how The old one was. I noticed that with the new pump I am getting a lot more fuel and now at elevation it roles coal way to easy. It struggles to start first time for the day but starts great after that even if it has sat for a couple hours. For the first start of the day it blows some black smoke for probably 20 seconds of cranking before it fires off. I’m thinking I should get rid of the timing advance and maybe even mess with how much fuel it gets. Looking for a second opinion thanks?

PS I am not cranking all at once but in 6-8 second intervals

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well assuming that you're now living in Colorado, then yes you should turn the fuel down some. Your old pump was worn inside (you said that it was on the way out) so that causes the timing to be retarded. The marks on the pump are just for getting the engine running and don't mean anything any more. They probably didn't mean a whole lot at the factory either. If you didn't have the new pump timed after it was installed, then you should have it done now.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your hard starting sounds to me like your glow plugs are not working right. I have the same problem the first start of the day.
My glow plugs test fine but my glow plug wire harness is falling apart from old age so I have ordered a new one from Classic Diesel Designs to replace it. I'll let everyone know how it works out once I get it installed.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well assuming that you're now living in Colorado, then yes you should turn the fuel down some. Your old pump was worn inside (you said that it was on the way out) so that causes the timing to be retarded. The marks on the pump are just for getting the engine running and don't mean anything any more. They probably didn't mean a whole lot at the factory either. If you didn't have the new pump timed after it was installed, then you should have it done now.

Yeah, your air is 'thinner' now & you need to make this adjustment to even the fuel/air mixture ratio.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your hard starting sounds to me like your glow plugs are not working right. I have the same problem the first start of the day.
My glow plugs test fine but my glow plug wire harness is falling apart from old age so I have ordered a new one from Classic Diesel Designs to replace it. I'll let everyone know how it works out once I get it installed.

I love mine hit the button count to 10 and it lights right off every time

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since I timed my van at sea-level, whenever I know i'm driving up over 8000-ft, i always pull over on the way up and turn the fuel screw down a flat.