Electric pump conversion question

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this wire tied into the original hard supply line?
You must be registered for see images attach

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
What is this wire tied into the original hard supply line?
That is the fuel heater. I usually end up deleting them completely, and never noticed a difference in starting.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't even have a working fuel heater on my Blue Truck. I'm not sure that it's needed. I add some anti gel to my fuel before it gets close to being cold enough for it to gel so I don't worry about a fuel heater.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it wired as above. Turned key on and one of m old wires started melting. I seen a video and the wiring was done differently. I think 86/87 post were switched.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also that heater. When deleting. Did you remove the whole wire or just unplugged it?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I usually end up pulling the whole fuel heater when installing an E pump. I usually cut the wire and use an end crimp with heat shrink to seal it up to good and tuck it away. This way the wire is still there if you ever find yourself needing it for something else.

Rock

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an interesting tidbit on the fuel heaters.

Eventually Ford (and maybe IH) realized they didn't need a fuel heater. My 03 6.0 does have a heater in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module - It's the primary filter, lift pump, water separator, water in fuel sensor and fuel heater), but it has been unplugged for years. The later 6.0's and the replacement HFCM's don't have a heater. So I think they finally figured out that a heater wasn't needed, or didn't do what they thought it would do. I know the 6.7's have a heater in the fuels system, but it is in the DEF tank, because it is water based and will freeze......

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I went with a napa 4 post constant duty solenoid. I paid $50 because napa always gives me a warranty, but you can easily find the same one for half the price on the interwebs.

Rock
Gotta be careful with those. Some are constant duty while others are not and wont even stand up to 10A constant even when rated for 50+. Ive burned up plenty of that design due to poor chinese construction.

I am not in the same boat as those saying you should run a relay. Relays are really intended for higher amperage circuits than something that doesnt even draw 5A. The primary reason for a relay to switch on a circuit that requires more amperage than can be realistically run to a switch whether that be a safety concern or, more commonly, where the amperage of the circuit is too high to run a fuse and switch. I dont bother running a relay for anything under 15amps usually, as a simple fuse and small switch can handle that no problem, you arent gaining anything by running a relay... except a more complicated circuit with more failure points.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This wire caught heated and melted. One is green with red stripe. Other is red. Both are wired to the same red wire running down and back towards the rear of the truck. Bought used. Not my wiring lol. Any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_20211228_032147751~2.jpg
    IMG_20211228_032147751~2.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211228_032201882~2.jpg
    IMG_20211228_032201882~2.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211228_032214838~2.jpg
    IMG_20211228_032214838~2.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 18

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wire only over heats when ignition is on. So it's not a constant power supply

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These wires aren't supposed to be connected. At least they aren't on my 1985 F250. The green/red stripe wire goes to the voltage regulator. At least, on mine, it goes to where I removed the regulator while doing the 3G alternator swap. I couldn't tell for sure where to red wire goes to. It was chilly and I'm a big ****** when it comes to the cold.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These wires aren't supposed to be connected. At least they aren't on my 1985 F250. The green/red stripe wire goes to the voltage regulator. At least, on mine, it goes to where I removed the regulator while doing the 3G alternator swap. I couldn't tell for sure where to red wire goes to. It was chilly and I'm a big ****** when it comes to the cold.
So I should just remove the wire all together?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just terminate it/them safely. Just in case...

As @Farmer Rock said above, just crimp an insulated butt connector onto the end, and then wrap the whole thing in tape. I would follow that with a nylon wire tie or two, just to be sure the tape doesn't come off.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So I should just remove the wire all together?
I think that you should separate them first. Then you should try to determine where they each are supposed to go. You may need both of those wires. You'll need help from a wiring diagram unless you like tracing out wires, which I can't stand. The diagram will also tell you where the smaller wires is supposed to go instead of where it at now, assuming that you can't tell by looking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726