Electric guages

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a hardcore mechanical guage fan. What I need to survey is, do you guys like mechanical water temp guages or do you have good luck with the electrics, not factory but good aftermarket?? I need to know what size hole to drill in the dash top where I am going to mount the oil and water. Boost and EGT are going on a pillar pod. Thanks in advance :hail
Russ

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only part of your question I can expound on would be the electronic water temper guage. I have one from Westburg Mfg (Westach), and I really like it. The guage is a 2 inch combination oil pressure/ water temp guage. I hope you get the advice you are looking for.

akoldnav

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a set of VDO digital electronic gauges, I wouldn't trade them for any mechanical. I used to run mechanicals on everything as well, but had some bad experiences with ruptured capillaries and such, one caught fire (water temp) and looked like a mini flame thrower for a few seconds.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I like electrical gauges myself - had an oil line let go on the back of a mechanical and trust me cleaning diesel off the dash is not something fun to do - lost a CD player out of that deal...

One is no more accurate than the other now days (mechanical/electrical) - if your looking for better resolution than the run of the mill electrics then just get one that has a 270° sweep (vs 90° sweep) they are out there.

Get ready to spend some cash because good gauges aren't cheap - typically a good set of gauges will run you about 100 bucks a gauge more of less - the $20 cheapies are just that cheap...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis' fun little story about hot oil filling the floor of the cab is a reason I went with electric gauges. LOL :sorry: I have Autometer's "Z-Series" electric water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter (like there is a mechanical version :rolleyes: ), and fuel pressure gauges. The only mechanical gauges I have are the air pressure (on board air ya know) and boost gauge.

I just didn't like the idea of hot oil, water, and worst of all fuel running through the firewall and into the cab. In most states, a mechanical fuel gauge in the cab is illegal.

I have the boost, pyro, and oil pressure on the A-pillar. The water temp, voltmeter, fuel pressure, and air pressure gauges are on flat under the dash gauge pods. I also added a LED to let me know the Holley Red is working and a second LED lets me know when the turbo temp monitor is on.

The only thing I need for the interior is a fully fuctional tach. The one I have is scaled differently (only goes to 3500 RPM) from stock and it reads about 1/2 the actual RPM :mad:

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diehard electric guy myself. I had a mechanical gauge on my 70 Maverick, and in the winter the oil presure gauge was very sluggish until the interior heat sufficiently warmed the oil in the line. The quality of electric gauges these days makes them just as accurate as mechanical.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks and I am sure I will here more on this. I have access to stainless braided lines so lines blowing isnt a problem. There are some advantages to working at a co. that has a helicopter division as a sister co., timed out hoses are very nice ;Sweet . Anyway I have isspro boost and pyro so I will probably get oil and water from them too. I was looking at my manual and saw how ford does the oil guage and what a joke. I like to read real oil pressure not enhanced.
The 460 I am taking out was showing a severe oil psi drop at high rpm, so I put a test guage on it. Never lost a pound. SO I looked at the schematic and relized that the old style sending unit changes the resistance and causes the dash guage to dip. Just when I thought I knew it all they change the rules. cookoo
I appreciate all of your input very much.
Have a great day
Russ